Mobius396

Lifetime Member
Aug 6, 2019
Muskego, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
10-4.
Your talking the lug pattern. 4/136.
Just didn't understand from the original post.

And hell no. I would not be drilling my wheels at all. Spare or not.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What will he do if he ever gets a flat? None of the other tires will fit on the tire rack.
Now he has to drill out all his rims.
Sounds pretty s***ty to me.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not bashing JEI just wasn’t happy with there half ass solution. Almost like they didn’t care anymore. Sorry for the long explanation.
Heck, I don't see a problem with bashing any business that fails to stand behind their product after they have been notified of the problem. Always give them a chance, then the ball is in their park.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like they weren't the ones in the wrong. They are supposed to be 5 3/8 or 136mm. I'm a machinist by trade and have actually been thinking about starting my own business, but this example scares the hell out of me. All it takes is someone to complain and there goes your business. Even when it wasn't the business fault. I hope the orginal poster tries his spare before he actually needs it, because it sounds like it's not going to fit.

aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like they weren't the ones in the wrong. They are supposed to be 5 3/8 or 136mm. I'm a machinist by trade and have actually been thinking about starting my own business, but this example scares the hell out of me. All it takes is someone to complain and there goes your business. Even when it wasn't the business fault. I hope the orginal poster tries his spare before he actually needs it, because it sounds like it's not going to fit.

It will fit now because he drilled it out :eek:
Curious to know who’s in the wrong here though as I have liked some of their products.

Reactions: tjoreo
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It will fit now because he drilled it out :eek:
Curious to know who’s in the wrong here though as I have liked some of their products.
I'm just taking the guy from his word and he says it should be 5 1/4" which is incorrect. I do find it kind of funny that all you hear now is crickets. Granted I don't know how he was treated from the company but I kind of relate this to the reviews on amazon from the guys we give good/bad reviews but have never opened the package yet. Either way I hope he gets what he needs his fault or their fault. I think I'm going to make my own carrier based off their design but will definitely make it 5 3/8 bolt spacing. Hope you're doing well @aauman88

Reactions: JTW
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
So I called JEI today about their bumper

Ian talked to me for over 20 minutes. Happy to take the time to answer all my questions.

Their bumper isn’t the best looking imo but it is definitely tough,isn’t too heavy, and includes side bars that protect the fenders and add strength by connecting to the rops right above the hood. My biggest concern was the strength since I am mounting a 5500 pound warn winch. Some front mount bumpers limit u to 3000 or 4000 pound winches when mounted higher because of the leverage when being mounted further from the frame. With the added bracing to the rops and solid mounting to all of the factory bumper mounts the jei bumper should be plenty strong, and they never experienced any issues with their testing. They are machining a plate to adapt the warn winch to the bumper so that there won’t be any extra holes drilled which could sacrifice strength. The pricing is very reasonable especially given the extra time and effort to make an adapter plate. I will report back after I install the bumper. Looking forward to seeing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheHoover

TheHoover

Jun 26, 2018
PNW
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good to know. There’s a million fab/machine shops out there. I’ll be leaving JEI behind.

D

Darrylf

Mar 4, 2019
Spearfish SD
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just got around to mounting a spare tire rack that I purchased for my 1000-5. It went together nicely and looks great but the bolts on the tire receiver are a full 1/8”. I called them and told them about and they did everything but make it right. JEI said that it was laser cut and that it had never happened before. I emailed pictures and have yet to hear back. So I decided to drill out the holes slightly on the tires to make it work. I won’t be doing anymore business with JEI off-road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just purchased the spare tire rack for my 1000-5 and it looks great and the spare fits perfectly. The quality is excellent.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good to know. There’s a million fab/machine shops out there. I’ll be leaving JEI behind.
Don't let this review turn you off. There product seems nice and reasonably priced. His spare is not the right size per his dimensions.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

AZRocks

AZRocks

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the JEI bed extender with the spare tire mount and it's great so far. The company was responsive and easy to work with. I used bolts instead of the supplied pins in the hitch mounted support bar to quiet the rattles, cuz I hateses rattles. Only issue for me was the supplied lug nuts for the spare mount were 13/16 instead of 19mm, so had to swap those out to carry a single lug wrench tool. I'm curious if the OP's spare wheel fits on his hub.
View media item 3705

Last edited:
Reactions: tjoreo and TripleB
advertisement
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the JEI bed extender with the spare tire mount and it's great so far. The company was responsive and easy to work with. I used bolts instead of the supplied pins in the hitch mounted support bar to quiet the rattles, cuz I hateses rattles. Only issue for me was the supplied lug nuts for the spare mount were 13/16 instead of 19mm, so had to swap those out to carry a single lug wrench tool. I'm curious if the OP's spare wheel fits on his hub.
I'm sure the bolts they used for the rack are 1/2" standard bolts instead of the 12mm used for the factory lug bolts which would make them the 13/16. I'm glad it worked out for you and like I said I have been thinking of making one off of their design. I'm hoping the OP tries his spare before he needs it.

Reactions: JTW and TripleB
Redone

Redone

Nov 14, 2018
wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
74951CC1 6D65 47B3 84A5 1866CEFAB2ED
61E8E700 591C 466C A49B 9EA0B443F5BF
@ehart814 good luck with the bumper I had one hell of a time mounting it. Then the arm on the passenger side was welded at a different angle then the drivers side. It took about 2 weeks of constant calling before finally they agreed to send me a replacement arm. Also had to enlarge the lower winch mount hole to fit a 4500# winch even tho it is supposed to. I paid extra for the lower winch mount that didn’t work for the winch so had to order another by a different company. Jei wouldn’t give any credit. And finally their is no way to secure the lower plastics that where secured to the factory bumper. It took time and I made it work but it wasn’t worth the cost and BS combined.

Last edited:
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
View attachment 153719 View attachment 153720 @ehart814 good luck with the bumper I had one hell of a time mounting it. Then the arm on the passenger side was welded at a different angle then the drivers side. It took about 2 weeks of constant calling before finally they agreed to send me a replacement arm. Also had to enlarge the lower winch mount hole to fit a 4500# winch even tho it is supposed to. I paid extra for the lower winch mount that didn’t work for the winch so had to order another by a different company. Jei wouldn’t give any credit. And finally their is no way to secure the lower plastics that where secured to the factory bumper. It took time and I made it work but it wasn’t worth the cost and BS combined.

Well that doesn't make me feel great... I specifically asked them if there was a place to support the lower part of the grill that bolts to the factory bumper, and they told me it does. So we will see about that. I gave them the specs from my winch and they are making me an adapter plate so it will bolt right up...they did not charge me much for it and they felt it was better to do that than drill new holes.
At least your bumper looks decent. How do you like it? I did not get that upper rack for mine. Do you think the bumper is as tough as it looks?

Redone

Redone

Nov 14, 2018
wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
When it’s all said and done I like it now but I modified mine. I thought mine looked funny without the rack, that’s why I got it. Also it’s a good place to mount fuel pack without loosing bed space. The channels cut into the rack fit roto pax mounts perfectly that was a plus. When it comes to strength I really don’t think it’s possible to make a stronger one than this without adding a Ridiculous amount of weight or crazy gussets above the wheels going to the frame if you know what I mean. I think all these heavy duty bumpers mount the same. If you hit something or someone lol hard enough to damage the bumper good chance your frame crumbled first. The extra arms going to the A-piller will help a little with that factor but not as much as one would think. In the end pick the one you think looks the coolest and run it that’s my two cents.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
When it’s all said and done I like it now but I modified mine. I thought mine looked funny without the rack, that’s why I got it. Also it’s a good place to mount fuel pack without loosing bed space. The channels cut into the rack fit roto pax mounts perfectly that was a plus. When it comes to strength I really don’t think it’s possible to make a stronger one than this without adding a Ridiculous amount of weight or crazy gussets above the wheels going to the frame if you know what I mean. I think all these heavy duty bumpers mount the same. If you hit something or someone lol hard enough to damage the bumper good chance your frame crumbled first. The extra arms going to the A-piller will help a little with that factor but not as much as one would think. In the end pick the one you think looks the coolest and run it that’s my two cents.

I'm glad to hear it's strong. I just hope I don't have to screw around too much to install it. I'm really not super crazy about the look.. There's really nothing out there that looks great to me. I just thought the JEI looked strong and is the right balance of strength and "light" weight. And the main thing i needed is the top mount winch. When HMF comes out with their bumper, my JEI will be for sale (unless HMF doesn't top mount the winch)

Reactions: TripleB
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I received my new bumper tuesday. I was really impressed by the the packaging and how everything looked. Nice black paint. Unwrapped all the parts and laid them out, and organized the hardware. Removed factory bumper - takes 2 minutes. Then the fun started. In the instructions, they recommend to "drill out the nuts in the frame" where the 4 12mm bolts thread in. Well I tried re-using the factory bolts. Fought with the dumb thing until I got too frustrated. So I reluctantly drilled out the threads in the frame so I could use the bolts and nuts supplied with the kit. Well I finally got the four bolts in, and then had to get the two bottom bolts in. Well one went in, but the other would not line up. Before you ask, yes of course all the bolts were LOOSE. So I left and got a friend to help. He had to lean hard on the bumper while I ran the last bolt in. After some wrestling with it, the bolt started (surely cross threaded) but at that point I was so tired, sweaty and frustrated I just ran it right in tight with the impact. Thats where it sits right now.

So far I'd say i'm not very happy. If you buy one of these, you will not have fun installing it. I really really hope the rest of the install won't be so bad.

Redone

Redone

Nov 14, 2018
wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That’s exactly how it was for me. Stick with it and it will turn out. But it is more difficult then it should be.

Reactions: ehart814
aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
These are great looking setups but how hard is it to access the hood? Is there pins and hinges to fold it out of way to get to hood? I would like bars that went from my LE brushguard to the ROPs but not sure I want to block my hood.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
These are great looking setups but how hard is it to access the hood? Is there pins and hinges to fold it out of way to get to hood? I would like bars that went from my LE brushguard to the ROPs but not sure I want to block my hood.

The rack folds to access the hood. I didn't purchase the rack. I think it looks pretty cool though. I'll post pictures if I ever get this thing installed! I can't wait to see how the Warn Axon winch looks mounted on there.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I received my new bumper tuesday. I was really impressed by the the packaging and how everything looked. Nice black paint. Unwrapped all the parts and laid them out, and organized the hardware. Removed factory bumper - takes 2 minutes. Then the fun started. In the instructions, they recommend to "drill out the nuts in the frame" where the 4 12mm bolts thread in. Well I tried re-using the factory bolts. Fought with the dumb thing until I got too frustrated. So I reluctantly drilled out the threads in the frame so I could use the bolts and nuts supplied with the kit. Well I finally got the four bolts in, and then had to get the two bottom bolts in. Well one went in, but the other would not line up. Before you ask, yes of course all the bolts were LOOSE. So I left and got a friend to help. He had to lean hard on the bumper while I ran the last bolt in. After some wrestling with it, the bolt started (surely cross threaded) but at that point I was so tired, sweaty and frustrated I just ran it right in tight with the impact. Thats where it sits right now.

So far I'd say i'm not very happy. If you buy one of these, you will not have fun installing it. I really really hope the rest of the install won't be so bad.
I'm not entirely sure how yours bolts up. When I bought my tough country bumper I drilled out the bottom 2 bolt holes because I wanted to use bigger bolts. I put the bottom 2 bolts in loosely then the 4 bolts on the top brackets. The top brackets bolt to the bumper with 1 large bolt. It was pretty simple starting at the bottom. Maybe the jei bumper doesn't have the same flexibility if I'm understanding your story.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!