Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Perhaps the question could be rephrased to:
What is the disadvantage with same wheel/tire all around?
That is a good question! I never found any disadvantage, so I don't have an answer. Other advantages:
9" wide tire is cheaper than 11 or 12"
9" wide tire is lighter than 11 or 12"

Honestly I was always happy with the amount of traction I had when in 2wd.

C

Chuckie3

Sep 17, 2018
New Fairfield ct
Ownership

1. 500
I’m running 26/9x12 front 26/11x12 rear on itp 5/2 rims with bighorn 2.0 tires no spacers and have no issues with being tipsy. But I also don’t drive to fast

Reactions: Chooglin and rtn001
monaco

monaco

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2016
Indiana
bit.ly
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome and for me the spacers gave me 100% improvement on trail ridin' tippiness. I disconnected the swaybar too, should've done it sooner!

Running 27" Black Diamonds on the stock rims, 2" spacers all around

Last edited:
DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Less flotation and ground contact, that's all i can think of using 9's. I wanted more of both so I'm running 11's on all four.
Not at all challenging your decision on 11's - however, flotation and traction do not always go hand in hand -
I used to have a Willys M38 (last of the flat fender jeeps) that ran on 6 x 16 NDT tires (quite narrow) which seemed to serve the army quite well in WWII on the MB and in Korea with the M38.
By contrast I had a F-350, Crew cab dually diesel 2WD (serious flotation) that could get stuck going uphill on wet grass and not worth a damn in snow if the box was empty, but one hell of a truck pulling a heavy livestock trailer or 5th wheel until a Ford Taurus totaled it.

BTW @trigger, how difficult do you think steering 11's on the front would be if you didn't have EPS?
I know the going from the stock 8's to 9's were no problem, but certainly much nicer since I added EPS.

Welcome @Leep from Alabama
@tomcj2 - I am running 9 x 26 - 12 ITP Blackwater Evo's on 5+2 offset wheels on all four corners and have no complaints

Slayer

Slayer

Jul 3, 2019
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
26x9 all around or some 27x9 all around will fit great. The tires you mentioned are both excellent, but if you mostly ride dry terrain and are doing a lot of rock crawling, I'd buy 27x9x12 Tusk Terrabyte tires. They will climb rocks better but I wouldn't call them a mud tire. But if you stay out of serious mud, the Terrabyte tires are excellent on hardpack, gravel, pavement, rocks, and just general trails. I'm in a muddier climate and I never had an issue with them, but I try to avoid the mud.

I ran Bearclaw HTR tires 26x9 on aftermarket wheels for about 2500 miles and then I ran 27x9 terrabytes on aftermarket with 1.5" rear wheel spacers to even the width front to back. This was on my 500 when I had it. The aftermarket wheels will give you a bit more width which helps the tippiness some.
@ehart814 I read some old posts where you had just put bearclaw htrs on your 500. I know you no longer have that but whats your overall opinion on that setup in hindsight?

Reactions: rtn001
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
@ehart814 I read some old posts where you had just put bearclaw htrs on your 500. I know you no longer have that but whats your overall opinion on that setup in hindsight?
They were great. No complaints at all. I ran them over 2500 miles and they were still at about 65% tread or more. They were very tough, great traction all around - even mud. They also gave a comfortable ride, even though they were 8 ply. I had 26"x9" all around on aftermarket wheels. I only ever rotated them once or twice. I would buy them again but the price went way up since I bought them.

Reactions: Slayer and rtn001

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!