DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Got it yesterday from the dealer. BIG box...glad i took my trailer to get it.

Thoughts:
Honestly, i have mixed feelings about it.

First is just it being there. I love the open air feeling of not having one...yet this summer with the Arizona sun beating down, this shade will make a huge difference in comfort. Not to mention monsoon season. And it doesn't seem that easy to take off either...but that will probably be easier after a few times. I was a bit surprised that it doesn't seem to reflect too much noise back from the engine and drivetrain.

Then there are specifics of this particular hardtop...the factory Honda one:If i had it to do over again, I'd probably wait to see what else comes out.

As i mentioned, it actually was a bit of a pain to put on, and comes with only a sheet telling you to go to a website to download instructions. Why? When they could have easily put the instructions on the sheet? BTW, the PDF downloaded from the website keeps giving me a message about being corrupted. I figured out how to put it on without them...but...
The instructs for the 2P hardtop do work, so if you cant figure it out, use them.

Maybe my biggest gripe with the factory HT is the pointless height it adds to the machine. There is that big "pod" in the middle that does absolutely nothing...except scrape the roof of my shed on the way in. On the way out, it hooks the joist and won't go any farther without damaging it, and i had to get out and push up on the roof of the shed ( squatting the machine ) and roll it back at the same time to get out. Fortunately, my floor is dirt, so i spent the next hour digging down to lower the floor so i can get in and out easily.
The top could have just hugged the roll cage and done its job, so i guess the various lumps and ridges are for looks. Too bad i don't find it all that good looking either. Thanks, Transformers!

I also don't like the big overhang at the front, but again, this will probably be quite handy during rain/snow.

Overall, it is a quality top, and at the $320 i paid for it ( just-bought-a-$11,000-machine-from-us discount ), probably priced competitively as well. But as i said before, if you don't absolutely have to have a hardtop RIGHT NOW, I'd wait and see what aftermarket stuff shows up. Given a redo, that's what i would do.

R

ranchhand77

Aug 19, 2013
DG, thanks for the review. Now that I have my P4, things are a bit lean at my place, especially with x-mas here. With that being said, and your review, I think I will push back the factory hard top. Like you said, here in Arizona shade is worth gold 8 months of the year. I have actually had thoughts about building my own roof and making exactly what I want. I have been keeping up on the Attachment Bracket thread to figure out a way. I think I could easily do it for under 100 bucks, or maybe just order in a soft top. That way I know it will fit in the garage.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
ranchhand77 said:
DG, thanks for the review. Now that I have my P4, things are a bit lean at my place, especially with x-mas here. With that being said, and your review, I think I will push back the factory hard top. Like you said, here in Arizona shade is worth gold 8 months of the year. I have actually had thoughts about building my own roof and making exactly what I want. I have been keeping up on the Attachment Bracket thread to figure out a way. I think I could easily do it for under 100 bucks, or maybe just order in a soft top. That way I know it will fit in the garage.
I toyed with just getting the soft top...to have a top until some aftermarket ones show up. The big deal killer there was that Honda instructs you to remove it when trailering to keep from tearing it up, even though some members have ignored that and had no issues. Too much hassle to remove it every time. Not to mention that i occasionally drive through a Juniper for no apparent reason!! I've also had enough Jeep soft-tops flapping in the wind to not care that much for them.

I'm sure that having a top will grown on me...but i think i will always wish i had waited for something less ugly and smoother profile.

BTW, where in AZ are you? I remember you posting about a deposit at Coyote Honda. I heard they went out of business. Is that true?

fishin2Dmax

fishin2Dmax

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2013
Utah
DG Rider, If you purchased your Honda OEM hardtop for just $320.00 you got a fantastic deal ! I highly doubt any aftermarket top will be any lower than what you paid. I too have some concerns with the extra height of the Honda Hard top design of the 4P. I really don't care for the way it drops in the center and back up again toward the back. It also added a lot of noise that reflects back down from the roof in the cab area. On the positive side, the hard top is trailerable and holds up very well in snow. I actually like the way it comes down over the front; It acts like a visor and helps keep rain out of the front of the dash and / or windshield. Yes, it would have been much better if it would have hugged the top of the ROPS, but it does give room for storing of items above (underneath). I also found that once you learn how to install and take it off, it is very easy to remove and reinstall - really nice feature. On nice spring or fall days I will remove the top; on hot or stormy days I will leave it on.

B

Bobbo64

Aug 28, 2013
I have had my 700-4 for a couple of months now and love it. I went with just the single hard top on my 700-4. It covers the front cab and if I have any riders in the rear and need a top for them I just attach a small canvas top which I had made at an upholstery shop takes about 2 minutes to install. I really did not like the look of the full hard top so I ordered my Pioneer with just the single top. 95 % of the time only two people rides in mine.

R

ranchhand77

Aug 19, 2013
DG, I am in Avondale just west of Phoenix. If I recall correctly, you are down Tucson way or southeast AZ. All of my riding so far has been up towards Wickenburg taking the old Jeep trails to the old mines, etc. I have been into some really rough areas, thus the Rock Slider thread. I have been very impressed with the P4 thus far, but a roof will be a must very soon. I recently contacted a Kydex distributor (similar stuff the Honda roof is made from) and the raw materials alone would be over $300 bucks, and I would still have to make it into a roof. Great stuff, with a heat gun you can make anything and its looks factory made.

N-joy your Christmas everybody!

J

jwilliams3

Nov 12, 2013
I also wish they had been about an inch or two shorter. I have to remove the top because I have arched doorways. But I don't need the roof every time I go out. Not a big deal to remove and install, I can do it by myself under five minutes. It is easier to have two people though.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
ranchhand77 said:
If I recall correctly, you are down Tucson way or southeast AZ.
Actually the other direction. Chino valley...about 10 miles north of Prescott.

Love Wickenburg, but have never been on the trails with an ATV or SxS...yet! I did take my Cherokee back towards Constellation city a few years back.. http://jwheadedwest.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... op-at.html

I keep meaning to head down there.

Have you heard anything about Coyote Honda?

R

ranchhand77

Aug 19, 2013
RideNow Powersports in Goodyear should be absorbing them, however as of yesterday they have not got the final go ahead from Honda. I feel bad for Coyote, but RideNow may be nice as they can probably carry more aftermarket stuff than a Honda only dealer. Time will tell.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
ranchhand77 said:
RideNow Powersports in Goodyear should be absorbing them, however as of yesterday they have not got the final go ahead from Honda. I feel bad for Coyote, but RideNow may be nice as they can probably carry more aftermarket stuff than a Honda only dealer. Time will tell.
Ah...OK. Someone had said they were shuttered and gone. RideNow will give them clout for sure...but i hate to loose a good independent to another mega chain. I guess this also explains why they weren't taking trades on Pioneers!

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I know this is an old post, but I was hoping someone could tell me if the Pioneer 700-4 with a hardtop will fit under a standard 7' garage door?
With stock tires yes it will...hard top adds 3 full inches...

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have 27" zillas and the hard top. Its fits just have to make sure door is open all the way. I do not have an opener

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I received mine from the dealer with the top on it. I think I would like the openness of no top or windshield. I think this spring mine are coming off. (Did I just say I'm taking my top off?)

My top has 4 latches. 2 people can remove it in 15 seconds. I took it off in the shop by myself. It is awkward to handle alone.

Reactions: joeymt33 and Tflynn
d_b

d_b

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2015
Utah
I received mine from the dealer with the top on it. I think I would like the openness of no top or windshield. I think this spring mine are coming off. (Did I just say I'm taking my top off?)

My top has 4 latches. 2 people can remove it in 15 seconds. I took it off in the shop by myself. It is awkward to handle alone.
@Gator wrong website for taking your top off...lol

Reactions: Gator and joeymt33
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2

My top and windshield usually stay off when the weather is nice. I like the open air look and feel plus nothing is there to squeak or rattle

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
I

I took it off in the shop by myself. It is awkward to handle alone.
I took two pieces of rope and threw them over 2x4's that are the ceiling in my shed and just drive in, unbuckle the roof and tie it up next to the ceiling and leave it there til I'm ready to put it back on.

Reactions: Tflynn
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I took two pieces of rope and threw them over 2x4's that are the ceiling in my shed and just drive in, unbuckle the roof and tie it up next to the ceiling and leave it there til I'm ready to put it back on.
I do the same thing with the camper on my pickup

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!