P500 K&N Air Filter

• Thread starter Deleted member 3748
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3748

I decided to try the K&N air filter. I've had good luck with them on everything else in the past and this should be no different. But, I'll keep an eye on it in the coming weeks and report back if I see any debris getting to the inside of the filter.

This is what comes in the box. (1) air filter, (2) 90 degree elbows, and (1) tube for the crankcase vent.

1 IMAG00782

Installation was super easy. This is how I did it...

1) Clean the air box before removing the stock air filter so none of the crap falls inside.

2 IMAG00785

2) Remove stock air filter and set the hose clamp and the plastic holder aside. You will reuse them with the K&N filter.

3) Locate the crankcase breather tube on the driver side of the air box. Remove the plastic collar from the end of the tube. If you pull on it, you'll just be pulling the breather tube. I got my fingernails underneath the lip and pried it out while holding the tube with my other hand. Collar is pictured below.

3 IMAG00786 4 IMAG00788

4) Install one of the 90 degree elbows into the end of the breather tube. The end that had the collar you just removed.
5) Connect the K&N supplied hose to that elbow.

5 IMAG00789

6) Install the hose clamp over the opening in the air box. The K&N filter fits inside of this opening. I don't like that the air filter goes inside of the opening but it shouldn't be a problem... I just wish it went around the opening to provide a better shield against debris getting past the filter.

6 IMAG00790

7) Install the other 90 degree elbow into the top of the filter, then connect the hose to that elbow. You now have a hose connected between the crankcase breather elbow and the elbow in the top of the filter.

7 IMAG00791

8) Install the filter into the air box with the flat metal side facing the driver side. Tighten the hose clamp and make sure filter is secure. Check the hose fittings at each elbow and check the elbows to be sure everything is inserted properly.

8 IMAG00793

9) The filter has grooves in the top that match the grooves in the top of the air box. Insert the plastic holder making sure it's in the grooves of the filter and the air box.

9 IMAG00794

And you're done. Total time was about 15 minutes, including photos.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Piston, that's real nice. Although I agree that it should go over the opening, not inside of it. I wonder if a real wide rubber band of sorts could be used around that.

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
D

Deleted member 3748

That's a good idea! I wonder if one of my vacuum cleaner belts would fit?

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
The heat in that air box
would destroy. ..rubber bands
....just saying
let me know...if it works

D

Deleted member 3748

The heat in that air box
would destroy. ..rubber bands
....just saying
let me know...if it works

The oil and fuel will probably destroy the rubber band first. :D But the worst that can happen is I end up with some pieces of rubber band in the air box.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Great job on the write-up. I know its a simple modification but its something users will enjoy.
Thanks.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 3748

Took it out for a test run tonight. Right away I noticed an improvement. The normal start up is Start --> rough idle --> stalls half the time --> starts right back up. This time was Start --> normal idle. and I haven't started it in a week. Other than that, I didn't notice anything except that it sounds a little different. Probably just me listening for something to be different, so I'll say I didn't really notice anything except a better start up.

Reactions: trigger
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The oil and fuel will probably destroy the rubber band first. :D But the worst that can happen is I end up with some pieces of rubber band in the air box.
Right, and there's rubber inside the air box already. I think it would be ok. Thanks for sharing this.

advertisement
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Took it out for a test run tonight. Right away I noticed an improvement. The normal start up is Start --> rough idle --> stalls half the time --> starts right back up. This time was Start --> normal idle. and I haven't started it in a week. Other than that, I didn't notice anything except that it sounds a little different. Probably just me listening for something to be different, so I'll say I didn't really notice anything except a better start up.

Have you used a pre filter? I like the added protection. I was surprised at how much the prefilter caught, and it was dust not just larger stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 3748

Have you used a pre filter? I like the added protection. I was surprised at how much the prefilter caught, and it was dust not just larger stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking about it. It will probably save a lot of filter cleaning time if I clean the pre filter every ride or two.

Reactions: joeymt33
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500

Interesting.... Mine wants to stall and or rough idles, what I've noticed is if I turn on the key and wait till the fuel pressure is up, (can hear fuel pump quite buzzing). Fires and runs perfectly everytime, try that and lemme know if that makes a difference. Had really good results with K&N over the years on my Honda Rubi, with jet kit and exhaust perked it right up. Was thinking either K&N or is it Uniball Foam filter when I do mine.

Cheers,

j

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Piston, that's real nice. Although I agree that it should go over the opening, not inside of it. I wonder if a real wide rubber band of sorts could be used around that.

What about a steel flange on the inside of the filter neck to prevent the K&N from deforming under pressure? Seems to me that's what I did on my Honda Rubi, way back in 2001. I couldn't wait for the specific filter and matched a general K&N and iirc it mounted inside too. I cut the inside steel flange off the stock filter and slid it inside the K&N and worked as a perfect match, enabling me to tighten the clamping band more for a very snug fit.

j

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
What about a steel flange on the inside of the filter neck to prevent the K&N from deforming under pressure? Seems to me that's what I did on my Honda Rubi, way back in 2001. I couldn't wait for the specific filter and matched a general K&N and iirc it mounted inside too. I cut the inside steel flange off the stock filter and slid it inside the K&N and worked as a perfect match, enabling me to tighten the clamping band more for a very snug fit.

j
Yeah, that sounds even better!!!

D

Deleted member 3748

One of us should call K&N!

D

Deleted member 3748

Interesting.... Mine wants to stall and or rough idles, what I've noticed is if I turn on the key and wait till the fuel pressure is up, (can hear fuel pump quite buzzing). Fires and runs perfectly everytime, try that and lemme know if that makes a difference. Had really good results with K&N over the years on my Honda Rubi, with jet kit and exhaust perked it right up. Was thinking either K&N or is it Uniball Foam filter when I do mine.

Cheers,

j
That would work too. If I waited until it was done saying 'Hello' it would start and stay running. Now if I forget to wait for the politeness, it's okay!

Reactions: rocmar
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

Cheers,

j
I'm definitely going to try that.
My machine has never stalled but does occasionally run rough at start up. Thanks J.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!