Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
At cold, mine has always cranked 3-4 times before starting but always snaps right off when warm. It's never idled rough though. Prolly something to do with those spacers you guys have. :)

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
No concern of
swapping a wet filter out
with a dry one....?
I've used K&N on ATV
made a big difference
if keep clean...but it was dry
for dry swap

D

Deleted member 3748

No concern of
swapping a wet filter out
with a dry one....?
I've used K&N on ATV
made a big difference
if keep clean...but it was dry
for dry swap
I have oiled all of my K&N filters, including this one. 1.6 ounces according to the label on the box.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I have oiled all of my K&N filters, including this one. 1.6 ounces according to the label on the box.
My experience with K&N on off road vehicles has shown me it's not a good idea. I use one on my street bike, and make sure to clean and oil it very regularly. At the very least, PLEASE use an outerwear if you're going to run a K&N. These 500's suck so much dust into that airbox and I have personally seen excessive cylinder wear when using a K&N on an ATV - after about 8 hours of run time there was already scoring in my new cylinder! (400EX) I know a lot of people use them, but for the minimal (if any) gain in airflow, I wouldn't risk it.

Reactions: rocmar
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Outerwear option is a really good suggestion. In respect to K&N think its the application (vehicle and use), local dust conditions (meaning alkaline soils etc) and good monitoring, cleaning and oiling practices. Wouldn't run one on a forced induction engine after my experiences with K&N on a 7.3 powerstroke Diesel. Too high of air demand in this application even with an outerwear, had dust get through filter. On my 2001 Honda Rubi, ran one for 9000kms never a problem and with exhaust and jet kit perked it up significantly. Wife's Honda Civic, 05 Honda CRV, never a problem. With my P5 and having changed the air intake for pick up to head height back of cab I'm still fence sittin and will monitor stock filter of now. Using stock air intake point, I'm not sure I'd use a K&N, or at the very least would be with an Outerwear and monitor closely.

jrc

Reactions: Shadesmn and rocmar
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Outerwear option is a really good suggestion. In respect to K&N think its the application (vehicle and use), local dust conditions (meaning alkaline soils etc) and good monitoring, cleaning and oiling practices. Wouldn't run one on a forced induction engine after my experiences with K&N on a 7.3 powerstroke Diesel. Too high of air demand in this application even with an outerwear, had dust get through filter. On my 2001 Honda Rubi, ran one for 9000kms never a problem and with exhaust and jet kit perked it up significantly. Wife's Honda Civic, 05 Honda CRV, never a problem. With my P5 and having changed the air intake for pick up to head height back of cab I'm still fence sittin and will monitor stock filter of now. Using stock air intake point, I'm not sure I'd use a K&N, or at the very least would be with an Outerwear and monitor closely.

jrc
I really want to relocate my air intake. I've never had any other machine that got a filter this dirty, this fast. I have two OEM filters that I swap out. I think I'd be willing to try a UNI or Twin air, but I will hold off till one of my Honda ones gets worn out from cleaning it.

I really do not believe that the negligible airflow benefit of a K&N is worth the risk of premature engine wear. Maybe with religious cleaning and oiling it would be ok, but I've already had my issues and learned my lesson. That being said, many many people have used them with success and no problems at all.

Reactions: rocmar
bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016
I decided to try the K&N air filter. I've had good luck with them on everything else in the past and this should be no different. But, I'll keep an eye on it in the coming weeks and report back if I see any debris getting to the inside of the filter.

And you're done. Total time was about 15 minutes, including photos.

Thanks for the great write up. We'll keep the pressure on these other guys. ;)

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
D

Deleted member 3748

Thanks for the great write up. We'll keep the pressure on these other guys. ;)

Thanks, @bigbore - I trust my eyes will let me know if any dirt makes it to the inside of the filter or the intake and you all will be the second to know. In the meantime, I trust the K&N engineers have done at least a little homework... :)

K n dbxl 20

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
My experience with K&N on off road vehicles has shown me it's not a good idea. I use one on my street bike, and make sure to clean and oil it very regularly. At the very least, PLEASE use an outerwear if you're going to run a K&N. These 500's suck so much dust into that airbox and I have personally seen excessive cylinder wear when using a K&N on an ATV - after about 8 hours of run time there was already scoring in my new cylinder! (400EX) I know a lot of people use them, but for the minimal (if any) gain in airflow, I wouldn't risk it.
Guess I'll just stay with my OEM then.

advertisement
D

Deleted member 3748

I took some of your advice and added the K&N Precharger. It's been rainy since I installed the K&N filter and there has been no dust. The filter is still clean and so is the intake. But I added the Precharger because it just makes good sense. I had to modify it because I forgot about the crankcase breather tube at the top. If it works well, I'll get another one with an open top. The PreCharger looks wet in the pic, but it's not... just shadows.

KNPreCharger

Reactions: trigger
D

Deleted member 3748

Just found this on Youtube. These guys are testing the K&N on their P500 too. I'm going to keep an eye on their videos and see what they do to their Pioneer.

D

Deleted member 3748

I've been using this filter for 10 weeks now. I check it regularly but haven't cleaned it or anything. After 10 weeks and probably 80 miles this is what I found.

The air box and the K&N precharger was a little bit dirty .
IMAG00965

The inside of the filter is clean as a whistle.
IMAG00968

I wiped out the intake tube with a clean, white paper towel.
IMAG00970

Clean!

Reactions: solrus and JTW
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been using this filter for 10 weeks now. I check it regularly but haven't cleaned it or anything. After 10 weeks and probably 80 miles this is what I found.

The air box and the K&N precharger was a little bit dirty .
View attachment 25585

The inside of the filter is clean as a whistle.
View attachment 25586

I wiped out the intake tube with a clean, white paper towel.
View attachment 25587

Clean!

What K&N precharger did you buy? Model number???

D

Deleted member 3748

What K&N precharger did you buy? Model number???
I didn't get the correct precharger. I forgot about the breather tube on the top and had to cut a hole in it. I used gorilla tape to reinforce the hole. With that being said, I used K&N 22-8020PK Black Air Filter Wrap. If I ever get another one, I'll use one about the same size but with an open top.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What will be correct precharger? If you could please post all parts for a correct install, will be great!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!