P500 Key on power ignition power

R

Recarga

Jan 3, 2021
Dallas Tx
Ownership

1. 500
Hello
My P500 came with a winch, it was already wired to the battery terminal but didn’t got finished wired to the switch, looking through and did a search and someone mentioned this ignition wire on the picture. I did found spare contact thanks for the tip. But now I want to add small led light for the back and front. Do you know if I can still use this connection? Or do I need to find another source?
9285C6ED F288 43EA B0C6 19D70C404B15

Reactions: TxDoc
Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Not sure about that wire or the pics. Is that the key on source. Acc fuse. If so you can run a relay from it but I wouldn’t run a very big light off of it.

Reactions: Mudder
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Looks like the plug for the OEM sub harness that provides 4 key on power sources. If you don’t already have one, suggest the Honda Sub harness. The total of all 4 is 15 amps, but if need higher they would run a relay @Hillbillytnt mentioned.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red500 and Peter_72
R

Recarga

Jan 3, 2021
Dallas Tx
Ownership

1. 500
Looks like the plug for the OEM sub harness that provides 4 key on power sources. If you don’t already have one, suggest the Honda Sub harness. The total of all 4 is 15 amps, but if need higher they would run a relay @Hillbillytnt mentioned.
yes that is the plug, the only problem is that it only has one +( hot ) wire the other are either ground or something else, i actually took a male connector and plug my key on wire for my winch switch, my question is can can i wire a led switch to it also,

R

Recarga

Jan 3, 2021
Dallas Tx
Ownership

1. 500
Its best to just buy the accessory sub harness and use that for your lights very inexpensive.

View attachment 248716
OLAF
its on order thank you, but do you know if it gives more than one hot wire ? i want to connect two switches one for the winch and other for a small LED light

Olaf

Olaf

Aug 18, 2019
Mn
Ownership

1. 500
OLAF
its on order thank you, but do you know if it gives more than one hot wire ? i want to connect two switches one for the winch and other for a small LED light
Trigger answered this which is good because I couldn't remember exactly what it was. This makes for easy and even us amateurs can do a half decent wiring job. I use it for a winch and led lights front, back and interior. 4+ and 2-

R

Recarga

Jan 3, 2021
Dallas Tx
Ownership

1. 500
4 hots and 2 grounds.
4 hots that's perfect, do you know if this shares any accessory fuses, maybe the accessory plug in the cab ? i am asking because I already burn the 15amp fuse for this one trying to connect a small inverter. ⛑

advertisement
S

States

Dec 23, 2020
Spirit lake idaho
Ownership

1. 500
The harness wires are color coded with different color bands. Does any one know what the colors mean?

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
The harness wires are color coded with different color bands. Does any one know what the colors mean?
Tap the link in my earlier post, Accessory Sub Harness description

Reactions: trigger
F

Flyinokra

Nov 13, 2021
Hernando, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Why is it 4 hots and only 2 grounds. I plan on using one of the hots for a stinger, in that case would I need the ground?

S

spartner

Oct 17, 2019
Spokane
Ownership

1. 500
KEY ON POWER Harness for Honda Pioneer 1000, 700, 500, and Talon 1000. This will work for any Pioneer (500, 520, 700, 1000). It is very easy to install and is in my opinion much superior to the Honda branded 4 wire option. You just install it, run the new power wire to a buss bar for just power on options. Then you can connect all the power on options you want up to a total of 15A. I have 8 or 9 items connected to mine and I use relays so very little amp draw. That will also free up the little red plug so you can connect a PV3 flash tuner or other accessory that needs that plug.

Reactions: Hondasxs
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
It doesn't take much to get to 15A, though. It's not that hard nor expensive to add a relay (e.g., Stinger, Cole Hersee) and a fuse block and use the KOPH to energize the relay/fuse block. Doing that, you end up with far more working amperage (all depends upon your fuse block) for accessories *and* you can eliminate all the inline fuses you'd have to have if you were powering various devices directly from your aforementioned KOPH bus bar.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's also not all that difficult to tap into accessory fuse #5 to obtain key-on power (an old guy like me has to know his limitations, after reaching up in there from the pax wheel well, my limitation meter was off scale). Getting power from the existing fuse block was far easier. As Scoop suggests, that in turn is used to drive a relay (Bosch 75 amp in my case, as I had a bunch of them on the shelf from another project), to provide power for the key-on fuse block. I also used the key-on power to drive another small relay to obtain key-on switched ground - that being useful for voltmeters and to switch ground for rocker switch back lighting.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!