P1000 key on power need help!!!

W

wshelton96

Jan 28, 2021
Summersville, West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
can someone explain to me how the stinger relay works and how to go about wiring it? looking to fix my mess of wiring for my switch panel. the panel consists of 5pin switches for the following accessories; 50'' led light bar, two led cube lights, bluetooth speaker. also on the panel is two usb ports, a cig outlet, and a voltmeter. currently have it wired into my second battery and one switch is running power from the battery jumping to all other switches and ports. the problem i having is i am melting the primary on/off switch. someone please help!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
A stinger would go in between your second battery and your fuse block.
You would then use a switch (or key-on power) to turn it ON.
Thus, powering all the accessories hooked to it.

If the accessory is 12A or less, you can run a power line directly to a switch then to the item.
If it is over 12A, I highley recomend using a relay (Ex. Your 50" led light bar)
This way you won't be putting all the amps through one switch and melting it down.

currently have it wired to the battery with a 60amp inline fuse.
Ok.. So a swtich is only rated for 20amps. I recomend staying under or around 12, you never want to max it out.
This is why you are melting your switches. You might as well call the fire department. lol.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
"Stinger" is a brand. They sell relays among other things.

First of all, on a good day, most of the rocker switches are rated at 20 amps, but I wouldn't put much more than half of that (10 amps) through them. The good news it that the right size relay can act as a heavy duty switch, so that's what many people do for their "key-on switched fuse buss" and also for things that have a particularly high current draw, such as a big light bar or a loud horn.

The Stinger relay, or similar relay of say 50 to 100 amp capacity (continuous), is used to power a "key-on" fuse block. One side of the relay coil is connected to ground, the other side of the relay coil can be connected to a key-on positive, such as Aux fuse #5 (I made this connection under the factory fuse block on my 1000-5 SE). This is one option that will power up the fuse block when you turn the key on. There is another option if you have already installed a "key-on switched ground relay", this is often used with the True battery isolator to switch ground for the dual voltmeter (this, so the meter isn't on all the time). You can use that switched ground to drive the "Stinger" relay and connect the other side of the relay coil to a continuous positive.

A separate relay, such as a common Bosch 35 amp automotive relay (they are cheap) should be used for a big light bar, such as you are using. You can provide the positive for this from a fuse in your key-switched fuse block. Your dash switch will only be providing switched positive for this relay coil, thus only low current goes through the switch and you don't have a jumble of heavy wiring going to switches that way as well.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can look on line for diagrams. The concept is simple enough. A typical relay will have 4 or 5 terminals. Two of those terminals go to the relay coil. The other terminals behave like a on-off switch, or with the 5 terminal relay, as single pole double throw switch - - that is with a common, a normally open and a normally closed contact.

When sitting there de-energized (no power to the coil) the poles of the switch will be Common connected to Normally Closed (C shorted to NC). When the relay coil is energized, power supplied to the coil, that changes to Common connected to Normally Open (C shorted to NO).

No offense, but if these concepts seem confusing, you probably should seek help in wiring your machine.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
This post may help get you on track.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

L

lambertjoed

Mar 12, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There is an excellent step by step YouTube showing exactly how to wire in a second battery Robert is the guy’s name. Lists party, relays,cables, etc. He works on a green pioneer about an 8 minute video.

Reactions: ChadD and Lady01
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
There is an excellent step by step YouTube showing exactly how to wire in a second battery Robert is the guy’s name. Lists party, relays,cables, etc. He works on a green pioneer about an 8 minute video.
@RobSparre is his username. @Hondasxs linked to his video immediately above your post.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!