P500 KFI winch mount

hondabob64

hondabob64

Oct 22, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
I mounted my winch w/ KFI Mount on my P5. It’s in front of the radiator. Can I mount it upside down where the fairlead us through the front bumper? Don’t mind it guarding the radiator, but would I have more airflow & improved cooling the other way?

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Mounted mine on top, never have had a concern with overheating, better protection for radiator too. Guessing you don’t use a plough, for me better mechanical angle higher. Will there be room for fairlead from up side down and getting at winch control? I’m thinking it’ll be tight for up side down and will interfere with stock bumper.
If it works and you’re happy why not!
j

Reactions: Todd627 and trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I have mine mounted up top, which is a better lifting angle for plowing and it does kind of block the radiator. What's funny is I've seen several guys have a problem with plugging their radiator with mud and they all seemed to be the bottom mount type. Don't know if it's coincidence or if having it up top is actually helping to block the mud. As for cooling, mine's never gotten too hot.

D

Duckhunt

I have mine mounted up top, which is a better lifting angle for plowing and it does kind of block the radiator. What's funny is I've seen several guys have a problem with plugging their radiator with mud and they all seemed to be the bottom mount type. Don't know if it's coincidence or if having it up top is actually helping to block the mud. As for cooling, mine's never gotten too hot.
Very, very interesting @trigger. I just got my p5 with bottom mounted winch last summer but the one long dry, muddy ride I went on this was my radiator after 60 miles, and I saw 3 bars on the temp "gauge"!
IMG 06781

Reactions: Mudder and trigger
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have one of the low mounts. I'd rather have it up high, personally. And the 500 seems to have plenty of reserve as far as cooling.

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
Factory mount is low I believe, i have KFI mounted high and never had an issue with over heating and it adds protection to radiator. It also keeps it above the water on creek crossings(most of the time)

Reactions: Mudder
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I have a Strongmade bumper and winch on top, never had a problem with airflow. Only one mud clogged radiator from a long group ride. Top mount is also easier if stuck in a mudhole.

9791798C 33A4 4A87 8B63 D46C5EAB17A0

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It may sound counter intuitive, but turbulent air flow (as one would have behind a winch or other object, cools more efficiently than smooth laminar flow. So moving the winch lower would be unlikely to produce better results. Either way, there are other things (like the grill) in front of the radiator. In this case, not worth worrying about, so long as the radiator is not shielded from the flow.

advertisement