P500 Killin the cat

Mjs

Mjs

Mar 13, 2017
Ok
Ownership

1. 500
I'm thinking about removing or gutting the catalytic converter. I've noticed the cooling fan kicking on quite often and removing the Cadillac converter should let the engine run cooler but I don't know what effects it will have on the fuel injection. Your advice would be appreciated thanks

Reactions: sharp
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm thinking about removing or gutting the catalytic converter. I've noticed the cooling fan kicking on quite often and removing the Cadillac converter should let the engine run cooler but I don't know what effects it will have on the fuel injection. Your advice would be appreciated thanks

With electronic fuel injection and O2 sensors, the machine will probably hold the same fuel to air ratio regardless of whether you have a catalytic converter or not. A very lean air to fuel ratio like Honda is currently using is greatly responsible for the added heat coming from underneath. Ask JAK if he has noticed a difference in heat. I noticed a very significant difference in heat on the pioneer 1000 after changing the fuel air ratio with a power commander.

Hope that helps.

One other thing, a catalytic converter will hold heat longer after the engine is off but I'm not so sure if you're going to be able to tell any difference by removing it. The only thing you'll get is more noise.

"DGann"....I hammer down one time and break something and joeymt33 don't let me forget it!!!!!

Reactions: 70Bones and sharp
russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Dredging here, any drawbacks to eliminating the catalytic?

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
It's a water cooled engine, temp is controlled by the thermostat so removing the cat won't allow it to run cooler. It would on an air cooled engine, but not on a water cooled engine.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!