P500 Kinda weird winch question

S

Stupidryan

Feb 1, 2016
Maryland
Ok please humor me on this question.

I have not owned or used a vehicle winch before.

I am looking to use a winch from the good ol harbor freight for a project. I know they are crap but for how often it will get used I am not too worried.

Short background on the project.... I am a solar guy. Usually i carry each panel up to the roof on a ladder. On a recent install I borrowed a gas powered lift to try out... Turned into a mess because the engine stalled about 20 feet in the air and even though the brake caught the platform it shook the panels on the lift... Lost $1000 worth of panels due to the fall.

Needless to say...f$&@ the gas engine, but I liked using a lift. So I want to use a winch. If what I saw is correct... Winches have a controlled in and out (by button) and a pull lever to freewheel?

I just want to control what is going on more than with the gas set up. Right now my local HF has a 2500lb winch for $80. That is plenty because the most it will need to lift is 300lbs... And down the road I could put it on a P5 when I get one later this year

Thanks for any thoughts and input ahead of time.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Be glad to discuss this with you. With the right custom built rig it could work.
Yes, You can control it. IN and OUT. You can also free spool it but this is manual.

Questions.
- How are you going to power the winch? Battery or run a DC converter?
- How far are we talking 20, 50, 100ft?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Other notes.. If it fails it will just stop. It won't go IN or OUT nor will it create a "jerk" like you mentioned with the gas unit.

Also, You need to know a 2500lb winch will NOT pull 2500 pounds, "Normally". But your only pulling 300 so that is well in specs.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yeah, @Hondasxs. Winches max ratings are usually with one layer of rope on the drum.

@Stupidryan, just check the rated pull on the last layer of rope. Also, an electric winch will be pretty slow and get hot pretty quick.

Sent from my iPhone 10s

S

Stupidryan

Feb 1, 2016
Maryland
Thanks for the replies.

I will just have a spare battery to run it. HF did have a 120v winch ther but it was only a 1500lb and was very slow. Too bad because that would have made life a bit easier just to plug in and go.
20 foot max... Anything higher and we use a people lift

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The 120 winch would be your best bet, 12v uses too much power, winch speed is going to be about the same either way.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Ok please humor me on this question.

I have not owned or used a vehicle winch before.

I am looking to use a winch from the good ol harbor freight for a project. I know they are crap but for how often it will get used I am not too worried.

Short background on the project.... I am a solar guy. Usually i carry each panel up to the roof on a ladder. On a recent install I borrowed a gas powered lift to try out... Turned into a mess because the engine stalled about 20 feet in the air and even though the brake caught the platform it shook the panels on the lift... Lost $1000 worth of panels due to the fall.

Needless to say...f$&@ the gas engine, but I liked using a lift. So I want to use a winch. If what I saw is correct... Winches have a controlled in and out (by button) and a pull lever to freewheel?

I just want to control what is going on more than with the gas set up. Right now my local HF has a 2500lb winch for $80. That is plenty because the most it will need to lift is 300lbs... And down the road I could put it on a P5 when I get one later this year

Thanks for any thoughts and input ahead of time.

This sounds like what you are looking for, application wise: Patent US20140246271 - Extension ladder incorporating a winch-operated elevator
I had no luck to see if it was available yet.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!