Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got the Fiskars hatchet. Like it. Might be buying the larger size to keep on the SxS.
X15 is a nice mid size. Right around 24" long, so enough to over hand chop if needed, great for limbing. I have 5 or 6 fiskar axes. Got a bunch on clearance at wally-world last year. Spend some time getting a decent edge on it, and it will be your friend.

Reactions: Tuco69
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
X15 is a nice mid size. Right around 24" long
Kind of sounds like a machete, do you happen to have a picture of that?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Kind of sounds like a machete, do you happen to have a picture of that?
Screenshot 20181023 195022

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I’ll just share these two. I bought the top one from a local craftsman in Cimarron New Mexico. It has a 4” blade and the handle is burled maple.

The bottom one was made by my father for me when I was a Boy Scout. It’s 45 years old. He was a machinist, but no knife maker. Unique just the same and I was a proud little guy wearing it on campouts. The blade and core of the handle is a file. The quillion and grip is made of alternating nickel and leather. He threaded the very end of the grip and threaded the last piece of nickel like a nut which was tightened down to compress the nickel and leather and then he shaped the grip. Like I said, it’s not ergonomic or balanced, and I have trouble with the blade rusting. I need a knife maker to take it and finish the blade in some way to protect it. The leather is breaking down from age but I doubt I’ll attempt to do anything with it. It stays in a drawer. I’d also like a good scabbard made for it. Anyway, it is unique.

2F72DEFD 8171 4341 95FD 5E25E71DD29B

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ll just share these two. I bought the top one from a local craftsman in Cimarron New Mexico. It has a 4” blade and the handle is burled maple.

The bottom one was made by my father for me when I was a Boy Scout. It’s 45 years old. He was a machinist, but no knife maker. Unique just the same and I was a proud little guy wearing it on campouts. The blade and core of the handle is a file. The quillion and grip is made of alternating nickel and leather. He threaded the very end of the grip and threaded the last piece of nickel like a nut which was tightened down to compress the nickel and leather and then he shaped the grip. Like I said, it’s not ergonomic or balanced, and I have trouble with the blade rusting. I need a knife maker to take it and finish the blade in some way to protect it. The leather is breaking down from age but I doubt I’ll attempt to do anything with it. It stays in a drawer. I’d also like a good scabbard made for it. Anyway, it is unique.

View attachment 91464
Can you apply a wax on your fathers knife to help protect from moisture/rusting?

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

View attachment 91464
Very cool!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Can you apply a wax on your fathers knife to help protect from moisture/rusting?
I don’t know, but sounds like a cool idea. Are you aware of a particular product for that purpose or just thinking of any old paste wax???

Reactions: Neohio
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don’t know, but sounds like a cool idea. Are you aware of a particular product for that purpose or just thinking of any old paste wax???
I would try any old paste wax you have on the shelf. Knowing this knife probably won't be carried or used again, it should work, you are in a sense creating a barrier between the base material and atmosphere.

Boeingshield T9 is an option used on cast iron equipment.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I would try any old paste wax you have on the shelf. Knowing this knife probably won't be carried or used again, it should work, you are in a sense creating a barrier between the base material and atmosphere.

Boeingshield T9 is an option used on cast iron equipment.
Right, I’m not going to carry or use it. Thanks. I’ll give it a go.

Tuco69

Tuco69

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2017
Middle Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Anyone fashion way to fasten knife, hatchet or camp axe on a semi permanent way to their SXS? Have small gerber machete secured in cab already. Looked over older posts for pistol holsters but nothing sticks out yet. Swap between judge in warmer months and 9mm other times due to lower weight an smaller ammo. Overhead long gun rack will be near term purchase. Not building a zombie mobile..........but want to be outfitted for whatever.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone fashion way to fasten knife, hatchet or camp axe on a semi permanent way to their SXS? Have small gerber machete secured in cab already. Looked over older posts for pistol holsters but nothing sticks out yet. Swap between judge in warmer months and 9mm other times due to lower weight an smaller ammo. Overhead long gun rack will be near term purchase. Not building a zombie mobile..........but want to be outfitted for whatever.

I keep a shovel over head in the cab. I will snap a few pics tomorrow.
If you were running a 5 seater, I would suggest the door mod to store it.

Reactions: JTW
Tuco69

Tuco69

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2017
Middle Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I keep a shovel over head in the cab. I will snap a few pics tomorrow.
If you were running a 5 seater, I would suggest the door mod to store it.
Great idea to add. Have a few old military issue ones my Dad had. 1000-3 limit some storage options. Like as much open space in bed as possible.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Great idea to add. Have a few old military issue ones my Dad had. 1000-3 limit some storage options. Like as much open space in bed as possible.
The door mod creates storage of the interior of the rear doors, no bed space is lost.