Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Not the new gen no. I’ll drive anything can get my grubby little hands on but haven’t had opportunity yet. I think @CID explained my initial thoughts best. If 64” I’ll be looking to run the new models of Yami and KRX. It’ll be tough around here though, not many jap machines. Pioneer is just starting to be seen.
They both have pluses and minuses. No locker and so so suspension would be the deal breaker for me on the Talon.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dunes=boring??? Have you ever been to real dunes? 200 square miles of WFO is hardly boring.
I have been to big dunes and they have some fun things to do... that being said most of us live on the east coast, so building a dune machine makes 0 sense. I will say I like the Johnson Valley way more than just straight dunes. It has some very challenging rock sections etc...

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
D8B17C27 4E95 4CFC 8849 25219ED66C46

saw it and couldn’t resist, I hope Kawasaki’s design is good competition for Honda gear drive, maybe Honda will engineer something better, they actually have a CVT with a metal belt in some automobile. I think I t’s Even sealed and not exposed to air/dirt like the SxS CVTs.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
View attachment 206391

saw it and couldn’t resist, I hope Kawasaki’s design is good competition for Honda gear drive, maybe Honda will engineer something better, they actually have a CVT with a metal belt in some automobile. I think I t’s Even sealed and not exposed to air/dirt like the SxS CVTs.
Yes Kawi setup is better then most, as long as power doesn’t destroy the clutching should be long lived. Automotive cvt isn’t great at least hasn’t proved To be in cars. I hope Honda doesn’t apply that to sxs. I’m sure that’s why they went dct.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I disagree. The krx is not high strung or quick for a true sport. It's a crawler/ cruiser. Yxz is a sport. You'll never see a krx win a cross country race or mx. Desert or baja maybe but with lots of mods. Theres no "sport" in a wet clutch.
I'll put all the mods you have on your pioneer to make it go as fast as you brag about and then see if your pioneer can catch my KRX. There are post of KRX outrunning other vehicles you mention online as well. Depends on the course and driver. If its a flat out drag race, then everyone with an X3 should pound their chest because the rest of the sxs are just slow.

1HasBeen

Oct 20, 2019
Wickenburg, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I have been to big dunes and they have some fun things to do... that being said most of us live on the east coast, so building a dune machine makes 0 sense. I will say I like the Johnson Valley way more than just straight dunes. It has some very challenging rock sections etc...
JV is definitely on my list. Funny, my old WCX made it there with a buddy from back east who came out to attend KOH, but I couldn't get out of the shop, at the time. Other than mudding, and putt-putting, I like ALL kinds of riding.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'll put all the mods you have on your pioneer to make it go as fast as you brag about and then see if your pioneer can catch my KRX. There are post of KRX outrunning other vehicles you mention online as well. Depends on the course and driver. If its a flat out drag race, then everyone with an X3 should pound their chest because the rest of the sxs are just slow.
Those things are fast. My first time driving was a few weeks ago. Noisy as hell, can’t see out of them for s***, got stuck on any uneven ground, reverse is your best friend, but yes holy s*** fast! But to be fair it was the limo version.

1HasBeen

Oct 20, 2019
Wickenburg, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Those things are fast. My first time driving was a few weeks ago. Noisy as hell, can’t see out of them for s***, got stuck on any uneven ground, reverse is your best friend, but yes holy s*** fast! But to be fair it was the limo version.
With the Smartlock front diff they work a ton better. Visibility is unbelievably bad. That's why I sold mine. TBH, when I sat in a KRX I didn't find the forward visibility a whole lot better.

1HasBeen

Oct 20, 2019
Wickenburg, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand
The only thing I did see at the shop was a Teryx 800LE that had an EBS bearing start dragging, and two othe LE's that started having shifting issues due to the wet-clutch dragging. One had <2K miles, and the other had >5K miles. In both of those cases it was due to Kawi adding rubber isolators that appear to be there to minimize rattle(?) of the clutch shoes, but with time/heat/age they began to prevent the shoes from retracting properly. I think the KRX uses the same wet-clutch, but not 100%.

H

HondaTech

The only thing I did see at the shop was a Teryx 800LE that had an EBS bearing start dragging, and two othe LE's that started having shifting issues due to the wet-clutch dragging. One had <2K miles, and the other had >5K miles. In both of those cases it was due to Kawi adding rubber isolators that appear to be there to minimize rattle(?) of the clutch shoes, but with time/heat/age they began to prevent the shoes from retracting properly. I think the KRX uses the same wet-clutch, but not 100%.

Teryxs have s*** supsension pieces, a-arm bushings are complete crap. With some hours on them, the clutch gets louder than hell too.

Reactions: 1HasBeen
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
There was a bad batch of belts a few years back on the teryx. Other than that...they seem like underrated machines. I've never spoken to an owner who didn't like theirs. And there are a lot out here in the desert.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Those things are fast. My first time driving was a few weeks ago.
I know. They are usually hauling when they nearly hit me head on.
Funny story: 2 weeks back i was loaded up heading home when someone came up behind me. Doing 60-65. Guy just kinda stayed back there, and I was like..."man, if you want to go...go around. I'm pulling a trailer". Got to the stop sign for the turn into Florence. It was an X3 behind me. A goddamned SxS pushing me down the road over the speed limit!