SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
So I’ve read that JTW guy say it was like cuoutdoors said. It was an assembly issue on early machines and and was either a lock ring problem on the axles splines that go into the diff or they just weren’t getting them seated right. He said he’d replace the cv joint lock ring, seat the axle good and ride, as long as the splines on the axle and in the diff weren’t chewed up. Kawi has been taking care of it ASAP under warranty. Odd that it happened now and not a while ago.
I was hoping a KRX owner or someone with actual experience with the KRX or this issue would reply. Driving on flat ground shouldn't unseat an axle seated 2+ inches even if it had no retaining clip. I’ve seen this machine jumped and driven hard with full up and down suspension travel with no issues. Then twice in one day when driving casually. Not buying it.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I was hoping a KRX owner or someone with actual experience with the KRX or this issue would reply. Driving on flat ground shouldn't unseat an axle seated 2+ inches even if it had no retaining clip. I’ve seen this machine jumped and driven hard with full up and down suspension travel with no issues. Then twice in one day when driving casually. Not buying it.
@JTW is a KRX owner 🤨

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Lol well you got an answer from multiple krx owners. The answer you got is the best we know. I dont think it has anything to do with a certain operating scenario. I believe it is something regarding the clip not doing its job or the assembly guy, or both. I bet it doesn't happen again after the dealer fixes it. The fact your buddy made it this long without an issue would lead one to believe this is a rare and random incident.
I haven't heard of anyone having it happen twice to the same axle.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yeah, this is all pretty spot on. My only other suggestion would be limit straps they’re just a good idea, particularly if/when you go to 35’s
Help a newb out here - would that be because more tire weight will tend to pull the suspension into a hard full droop? Or something else? Shock Therapy just came out with a limit strap kit for the Talons which have a hard clunk at full droop, worse on the front.

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Lol well you got an answer from multiple krx owners. The answer you got is the best we know. I dont think it has anything to do with a certain operating scenario. I believe it is something regarding the clip not doing its job or the assembly guy, or both. I bet it doesn't happen again after the dealer fixes it. The fact your buddy made it this long without an issue would lead one to believe this is a rare and random incident.
I haven't heard of anyone having it happen twice to the same axle.
I wasn’t referring to your answer man, JTW PM’d me with a theory. Just seems so odd with the beating I’ve seen this machine take it would happen when just cruising and didn’t show up in the first 1,200 miles or so. It was opposite sides and the second time there was so much force it cracked the transaxle case. It’s had zero issues that weren’t self inflicted before this.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here’s the cold hard truth: It’s one of the best production trail machines in stock form to ever hit the market. I was set on a Talon and absolutely wanted to hate the KRX but as much as it pains me to say it, the KRX is a better rig. I had the opportunity to ride with three of them at Windrock and they were impressive. I also got to drive @JTW’s KRX and ride in another, they are tough as nails and will climb like a mountain goat. The plus is it goes into low without any grinding from the cable/shift gate issues. One retainer clip issue is peanuts compared a complete sub-trans removal and repair. Just my two cents.

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Here’s the cold hard truth: It’s one of the best production trail machines in stock form to ever hit the market. I was set on a Talon and absolutely wanted to hate the KRX but as much as it pains me to say it, the KRX is a better rig. I had the opportunity to ride with three of them at Windrock and they were impressive. I also got to drive @JTW’s KRX and ride in another, they are tough as nails and will climb like a mountain goat. The plus is it goes into low without any grinding from the cable/shift gate issues. One retainer clip issue is peanuts compared a complete sub-trans removal and repair. Just my two cents.
Was looking for insight for my friend not talking s***. He’s understandably concerned that his new machine had this happen.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Was looking for insight for my friend not talking s***. He’s understandably concerned that his new machine had this happen.
It’s a fluke caused by a $2.00 clip and or the person who installed it. Not a cause for concern or buyer’s remorse.

J

JTW

Help a newb out here - would that be because more tire weight will tend to pull the suspension into a hard full droop? Or something else? Shock Therapy just came out with a limit strap kit for the Talons which have a hard clunk at full droop, worse on the front.
The more tire weight the more important it is... but even in a stock machine that’s riding hard and jumping or trails causing the suspension to come to full droop I would get them! Knowing what I know now... I would and will do it on every machine I own from here out.

G

GuyOnABuffalo

I love limit straps when my partner is at full droop... it really helps keep him from bottoming out his piston on my shock bottom!

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yup.. it was mostly the first machines out and Kawi was Johnny on the spot. Now with supply issues everything is taking longer.
Indeed, Kawasaki was on it from the start.

Reactions: Mudwing and JTW
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The more tire weight the more important it is... but even in a stock machine that’s riding hard and jumping or trails causing the suspension to come to full droop I would get them! Knowing what I know now... I would and will do it on every machine I own from here out.
@Lil_Steve - ST has a limiter strap kit for the Talon, more important on the fronts IMO. You should do this so I'll know how hard it is. :cool: There's a ST video but I didn't save it. 😊 (never mind, you saw IDIOT's link)