Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Monty, the KRX is a really good machine out of the box, I still have my big blue pioneer and it is a completely different beast. The pioneer it’s great for driving around the neighborhood and working, I still think it’s a very comfortable ride with my 814 shocks. I can also air down my 35s and I really enjoy the ride, but the KRX is night and day. I took the KRX out this weekend up in the mountains for some altitude riding in the crawled up everything I could throw at it, on the high-speed trails it had a little bit more body roll that I preferred but I also have not adjusted the shocks at all, the only thing you need to do for the KRX out of the box in my eyes is a heavy duty skid plate, a winch, and probably a roof. If you’re ever out in Arizona Monty reach out to me and take mine for a spin.
Thanks for the valuable information!

I did drive a new one at a dealership in Hot Springs last week, a pretty kobalt blue one....👍 which happens to have a couple acres out back, a short rock climb etc.., and I’m impressed, so far....🤔

I was more interested in its comparison with my Talon X4 than with my Pioneer 1000’s...

It’s louder.....😬

Reactions: Smitty335
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Think we have 12 KRX's in our group now that are from this forum. All came from pioneers except 1 that had a Talon R.
All happy so far snuff???

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Most of our riding is under 30 mph. A lot of rocks and tight trails. If most of my terrain was fire roads or high speed all the time, I would prefer a Talon or YXZ for the transmission only. The suspension, handling, room, build quality and power steering is excellent. Being able to throw 35's on it without any work and having low range as low as it is makes it a game changer in our terrain.

Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How long have you had the KRX?
I’ll be interested in the comparison....
Since late October.
That said, winter happened and I was mostly running the Pioneer because they don't make a track system adaptor for the KRX yet. After this month I should have enough comparative miles to give meaningful feed back.

To date the biggest noted distinction on familiar trails is the KRX is comfortable on a trail to trail basis at about 20 mph faster than the Pioneer at the very edge of it's performance handling envelope. I can do 55 with the KRX on a trail that the Pioneer (with FOX 2.0s) would be at a DNE speed of 35. My biggest worry with the KRX is oncoming traffic and potential closing speeds in blind corner satiations. A neighbor has a 4 up Talon X and I've watched him do a few quick trips (well quick for his Talon) across some rough roads with whoops and the rear end is like a pogo stick. It looks like he is constantly fighting for control at speed. It looked painful. Watching him is what turned me off from a Talon purchase. He has to slow way down to cross a road transitioning diagonal 18" deep bar ditch down the road from my house. I'm guessing 10-15 mph (my pioneer does it at about 5 mph and I get a bounce). The KRX hits it at 30 with no loss of control and your thinking is that all, I could go faster. I'm hoping to do some local rides with him, but he is an absentee home owner up here and our paths never seem to cross. Frankly, I was kind of bummed watching him as I do like the powertrain. Just not enough to spend $$$$$ making a machine perform suspension wise.

The KRX is a well executed stable neutral design in comparison. It wants to go where you point it. In snow and Ice it will let you cross it up and is quick to return to the line of travel. That characteristic alone makes it a very fun ride. I'm hoping to run into to some Talon, Can Am and RZR riders in Utah to compare notes, and share trails with.

Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It’s louder.....😬
Absolutely! Engine and belt/clutch noise. Not a fan if it. Noise which I suspect is damaging to one hearing-or what they have left of it.

Intercon Radios

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Since late October.
That said, winter happened and I was mostly running the Pioneer because they don't make a track system adaptor for the KRX yet. After this month I should have enough comparative miles to give meaningful feed back.

To date the biggest noted distinction on familiar trails is the KRX is comfortable on a trail to trail basis at about 20 mph faster than the Pioneer at the very edge of it's performance handling envelope. I can do 55 with the KRX on a trail that the Pioneer (with FOX 2.0s) would be at a DNE speed of 35. My biggest worry with the KRX is oncoming traffic and potential closing speeds in blind corner satiations. A neighbor has a 4 up Talon X and I've watched him do a few quick trips (well quick for his Talon) across some rough roads with whoops and the rear end is like a pogo stick. It looks like he is constantly fighting for control at speed. It looked painful. Watching him is what turned me off from a Talon purchase. He has to slow way down to cross a road transitioning diagonal 18" deep bar ditch down the road from my house. I'm guessing 10-15 mph (my pioneer does it at about 5 mph and I get a bounce). The KRX hits it at 30 with no loss of control and your thinking is that all, I could go faster. I'm hoping to do some local rides with him, but he is an absentee home owner up here and our paths never seem to cross. Frankly, I was kind of bummed watching him as I do like the powertrain. Just not enough to spend $$$$$ making a machine perform suspension wise.

The KRX is a well executed stable neutral design in comparison. It wants to go where you point it. In snow and Ice it will let you cross it up and is quick to return to the line of travel. That characteristic alone makes it a very fun ride. I'm hoping to run into to some Talon, Can Am and RZR riders in Utah to compare notes, and share trails with.
It’s foot print is very different from the Talon X4 which I have. But then it can’t carry 4 people. And I damn sure wouldn’t want a four seat KRX....😳

Based on my test drive, I’d buy one. But I want more assurances that drums and diffs (or anything else for that matter) aren’t blowing up....

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Absolutely! Engine and belt/clutch noise. Not a fan if it. Noise which I suspect is damaging to one hearing-or what they have left of it.

View attachment 264995
Yep, which mine is already quite compromised....
Could always get headsets I suppose....🙄

RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I personally like the Honda talon 1000x Live valve way better than the KRX. But i also do desert riding and some boulders. I also like my Honda Pioneer 1000- 5 . I also don't want to deal with belts, drums and diff!!!

Last edited:
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So how good is the KRX? Is it dependable? Would you buy it again ?
So far we are good to go with ours with 400+ miles. Zero issues other than a dealer installed Kawasaki tire carrier. Sadly, my Pioneer had quite a few when new comparatively. I usually take one of the SxSs out for a quick 10 mile or so ride a 3-4 times a week in the morning to "keep the batteries charged." I notice the P1000 has been on a trickle charger for a month now.

As far as buying again, my wife suggested that we sell the P1000 and get another KRX.......that ain't happening.....ever. When there's work to be done the P1000 is the choice.

YMMV

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So how good is the KRX? Is it dependable? Would you buy it again ?
It’s dependable, there are several of us that have bought KRX’s .. i bought mine in late oct and have over 1500 miles on it. I have had a couple boo boos that were driver inflected but both times even the things I dented held up way better than they should of and allowed me to continue riding.
The known issues are
  • Springs sag pretty quickly so you are going to replace them - now their are options for as low as 300 to replace just the tender springs and you are better than average
  • Clutch weights: if you drive at a constant speed like 35mph on a dirt road a high % of the time you are going to wear a grove in the weight at that speed and it will feel like you are shifting. If you trail ride and vary your speed you will be fine as a couple people have 1300+ miles on theirs with no grooving. - good news is Kawi is taking care of people who get the grooving.
  • Gas gauge is not accurate - two fixes , 1 pull and bend the float down. 2. Set one of the two trip meters when you fill up and you can go about 120 miles - so start looking at 100
  • gas tank can build pressure under certain conditions - swap out a check valve for a rollover valve. Easy
O yea if you go to 35’s and start bouncing the front tires in dif lock … you’ll break the drive shaft.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
It’s dependable, there are several of us that have bought KRX’s .. i bought mine in late oct and have over 1500 miles on it. I have had a couple boo boos that were driver inflected but both times even the things I dented held up way better than they should of and allowed me to continue riding.
The known issues are
  • Springs sag pretty quickly so you are going to replace them - now their are options for as low as 300 to replace just the tender springs and you are better than average
  • Clutch weights: if you drive at a constant speed like 35mph on a dirt road a high % of the time you are going to wear a grove in the weight at that speed and it will feel like you are shifting. If you trail ride and vary your speed you will be fine as a couple people have 1300+ miles on theirs with no grooving. - good news is Kawi is taking care of people who get the grooving.
  • Gas gauge is not accurate - two fixes , 1 pull and bend the float down. 2. Set one of the two trip meters when you fill up and you can go about 120 miles - so start looking at 100
  • gas tank can build pressure under certain conditions - swap out a check valve for a rollover valve. Easy
O yea if you go to 35’s and start bouncing the front tires in dif lock … you’ll break the drive shaft.
Just to add... All of you guys I know that have bought them have not been easy on them. We're the group that looks for the worst way through something, and we're either going to get through/up/down it or pull each other out in pieces. I have yet to be on a ride where any of the KRX had an issue other than flats. If you play in the big rocks it's pretty damn hard to beat a KRX. If you're in the dunes or cruising the neighborhood, it's probably the worst machine you could buy.

That being said...

Here's @joeymt33 telling @Cyberjunk that if he had just a little more travel it would be almost as good as his Pioneer