KWT X2 1400 mile review

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
I just got my production model KWT X2 pre-filter, so time to look at how the pre-production model has performed. Here it is with 1400 miles on the filter.

mcaanda

mcaanda

May 30, 2020
Whitewater Colorado
Ownership

1. Talon R
Nice - I have one that showed up on Friday and will see about installing this weekend - damn, I guess I need to get on that being that there's only one day in the weekend left. :oops:

Looks like quite a bit of very fine material in that catch can. Good to see that its not headed into the motor and for 1400 miles pretty impressive. Was this the only time you had to empty the cartridge?

Reactions: HavasuDave
HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Nice - I have one that showed up on Friday and will see about installing this weekend - damn, I guess I need to get on that being that there's only one day in the weekend left. :oops:

Looks like quite a bit of very fine material in that catch can. Good to see that its not headed into the motor and for 1400 miles pretty impressive. Was this the only time you had to empty the cartridge?
No I also emptied it at the 682 mile review also.

Reactions: mcaanda
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
If they were not so proud of those I would probably buy one for my racecar.

Some 3" aluminum tube, a K&N style cone filter and an Outerwear pre-filter work just as well for alot less money.

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
If they were not so proud of those I would probably buy one for my racecar.

Some 3" aluminum tube, a K&N style cone filter and an Outerwear pre-filter work just as well for alot less money.
That is what I tell people a snorkel with a filter on it is the cheapest option. But, it is one more filter to deal with, if it rains or the filter packs with dust how much is air flow restricted? How much restriction is there by adding a filter? It may not make a difference, but I don't know that anyone has Dyno tested it. I do know that the KWT has been dyno tested and I don't have to mess with it. So for me it's worth it.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
That is what I tell people a snorkel with a filter on it is the cheapest option. But, it is one more filter to deal with, if it rains or the filter packs with dust how much is air flow restricted? How much restriction is there by adding a filter? It may not make a difference, but I don't know that anyone has Dyno tested it. I do know that the KWT has been dyno tested and I don't have to mess with it. So for me it's worth it.
Choices.

Being new to SxSs, I'd never heard of a particle separator even though I've followed racing most of my life. I was in sticker shock outfitting my Talon and the cost of them didn't sit well with me :oops: (I'm over that).

As I've mentioned (maybe too often ☺), I'm retiring from a 50 year career of dirt bikes, aging out - how'd THAT happen? :eek: That's to say I'm very familiar with the efficiency of oiled foam air filters, they're very dang good. The first snorkel I saw was the SYA but it replaced the goofy intake chamber Honda uses - which is either for intake tuning or noise control and I didn't want to remove it.

It was about this time I saw HondaBob's snorkel idea, it keeps the intake chamber and uses a Uni pod foam filter as a prefilter. Uni has name recognition for me, they've been around for decades. Bob also provided all the photos, part numbers and sources necessary to copy his Talon snorkel idea - game on. :cool:

Not to hijack your thread, just a photo to show others another choice. Bob runs his filters just under the roof which I may do in the future, primarily for rain riding (which I prefer NOT to do but ...). I've already spent hours in a steady drizzle and didn't notice any issues so this may never be a problem.

I'm into this for about $125 and had enough parts for two kits (but only one $25 filter).
I gXGK7GX M

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!