P1000 Limit straps

D

DDDonkey

Has anyone with the 814 shocks ever wondered how much the limit straps are limiting the articulation of their Pioneer? I know that they are there to protect the shock from damage of over extending, and they even protect the axle too (I run them and will continue too). I am just thinking something like the Jeep guys who use the articulation ramps or RTI (ramp travel index). How much farther would one get up the ramp without limit straps verse limit straps (sway bar removed), are we talking a few inches or feet?

For those that don't know about RTI you go as far up the ramp as possible while still having 3 wheels on the ground, then they score out of 1000pts, and yes you can get better than a 1000pts I have been told. I guess most stock 4x4s score 3-400 range.

Anyone?

Reactions: Lady01
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
If u measure from CL shock bolt to shock bolt, front about 20.5" max and rear 21.25" max with stock axles. Stock shocks are about 20" extended. Limit straps stretch so u need a safety factor.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
814 uses a universal shock so the shaft length is too long requiring the limit strap.

D

DDDonkey

Thanks for the info on the stock shocks, I should have measured mine for reference.

I was playing around with a ramp and the difference between the limit straps and no limit straps was 11". I went 11"higher up a 31 degree ramp with no limit straps, now I can tell you the axles where not happy but it was a good test. I did not think I would go the much farther up the ramp.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone with the 814 shocks ever wondered how much the limit straps are limiting the articulation of their Pioneer? I know that they are there to protect the shock from damage of over extending, and they even protect the axle too (I run them and will continue too). I am just thinking something like the Jeep guys who use the articulation ramps or RTI (ramp travel index). How much farther would one get up the ramp without limit straps verse limit straps (sway bar removed), are we talking a few inches or feet?

For those that don't know about RTI you go as far up the ramp as possible while still having 3 wheels on the ground, then they score out of 1000pts, and yes you can get better than a 1000pts I have been told. I guess most stock 4x4s score 3-400 range.

Anyone?
Having just installed 801's on the front, I checked my original shock and they were 19-1/2" eye to eye. When the shocks were disconnected the lower a arms really didn't want to drop down much more without binding (cv's?). Using the 801's, I suppose you could run a19-1/2" limiting strap and you wouldn't be overextending more than the stock shocks. The 801's top out around 21-1/2".

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!