HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
My trailer is just fine! It was being too short that was the problem. SxSs have to be strapped on all four corners per the law. I'll pull the bulk of the load towards the front and just enough in the back to keep it from bouncing.

I'm not worried about the tailgate, but I am driving a 10 y/o truck. I can't afford a new Superduty every two years like you millionaires. ;) And with as much money as we blow on these machines, it's nothing to spend another $50 to make unbreakable tailgate supports.
Too short ? That's what she said ..................

H

Heloron

Mar 5, 2017
Oroville, California
Ownership

1. 500
My trailer is just fine! It was being too short that was the problem. SxSs have to be strapped on all four corners per the law. I'll pull the bulk of the load towards the front and just enough in the back to keep it from bouncing.

I'm not worried about the tailgate, but I am driving a 10 y/o truck. I can't afford a new Superduty every two years like you millionaires. ;) And with as much money as we blow on these machines, it's nothing to spend another $50 to make unbreakable tailgate supports.
Like old forty five said in his post, it's not the static loading of the weight on the tailgate that breaks the cables, it's the shock loading of the cables that they are subjected to when driving down the road and hitting bumps and potholes. As most tailgate cables are rubber coated, it's nearly impossible to inspect them to see if the individual strands are breaking. As you say, tailgates supports are cheap insurance.

Reactions: Mudder
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

I had one snap on an old S10 I used to have and we were just sitting on it when it happened. It was about 10 yrs old too.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I
I had one snap on an old S10 I used to have and we were just sitting on it when it happened. It was about 10 yrs old too.
had an old S10 as well. I don't know what was up with there tailgate cables but they were always week. That was the only truck I ever seen them break that didn't have either a slice in the cable or the rubber coating wore off and rusted out the cable causing it to get week and break. Maybe they outsourced them to North Korea! :eek::D

D

Deleted member 3748

** Drops the mic ** :D

WP 20170922 17 35 15 Pro

GaryG

GaryG

Oct 20, 2017
KY
Ownership

1. 500
View media item 3102The P500 will Fit in a Toyota Tacoma bed. The tailgate is plastic so I cut out for the wheel wells a piece of Advantech flooring.

Idahocrawler

Idahocrawler

Sep 29, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Only need to do that when I'm pulling the travel trailer. Now I have the Iron Man setup and don't need the tailgate supports.
What is this Iron Man set up you speak of?

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
This was my first attempt at loading my Pioneer 500 into my truck bed. I went slow and it was easy. I put the spare tire from my trailer against the front of the box to keep me from blowing out the rear window. :D No more trailer for me. BTW - I'm installing air springs this weekend to level the rear.
Certainly a very nice feature of these units. Have you added or considering extra straps to support the tailgate during loading/transportation?

D

Deleted member 3748

Certainly a very nice feature of these units. Have you added or considering extra straps to support the tailgate during loading/transportation?
I've since sold the P500 so I can't do this anymore. :( I used the DG tailgate supports to support the tailgate cables.

Reactions: Montecresto
Idahocrawler

Idahocrawler

Sep 29, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I’m surprised no one is making a false tailgate so to speak, so that it’s shorter than stock and won’t hit camper jacks

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I’m surprised no one is making a false tailgate so to speak, so that it’s shorter than stock and won’t hit camper jacks
I think we had a member that did just that.

Also this is a practical solution.

Home

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
I'm running a '13 GMC 2500 duramax with the 6.5 ft bed. I have the DG tail gate supports because they look cool. I haven't noticed any change in the tailgate from 2 years of riding. The nose of my P500 touches the middle of the front of the box so even if I hit hard, I'd never punch out the rear window. The P5 rides like a champ back there. I have Firestone RideRite air bags but only put in 5 psi. That little P5 doesn't move the 3/4 ton truck more than an inch.

We were road hunting this morning with the P5 in the back, rolling down some serious tracks. Truck rode well. Now if we'd shot a deer it would have been even better!
20181112 073136

20181110 130219

Last edited:
TheHoover

TheHoover

Jun 26, 2018
PNW
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use to work at Icon Health and Fitness(Proform, Freemotion, Nortic Track, and many others...). I worked in the R&D department, weight systems. Here is what our cables rated for. 3/16-inch rated to 2,000 lbs. Let me tell you, testing these machines before hitting market, these cables WENT THROUGH HELL! Tried to makes them fail with repeated use and weight. I believe the cables averaged 3500lbs before snapping. The ends would break before the cables most times. Just my two cents. But if I had a $12k+ machine sitting on it, I would buy supports.

TheHoover

TheHoover

Jun 26, 2018
PNW
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use to work at Icon Health and Fitness(Proform, Freemotion, Nortic Track, and many others...). I worked in the R&D department, weight systems. Here is what our cables rated for. 3/16-inch rated to 2,000 lbs. Let me tell you, testing these machines before hitting market, these cables WENT THROUGH HELL! Tried to makes them fail with repeated use and weight. I believe the cables averaged 3500lbs before snapping. The ends would break before the cables most times. Just my two cents. But if I had a $12k+ machine sitting on it, I would buy supports.

Edit.
Sorry not averaged 3500. The max weight was 3500lbs.

D

Deleted member 3748

I was fairly certain the cables could handle the load... but if they didn't, it could get messy.

Reactions: Montecresto

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!