P500 Loading into my F150 bed

• Thread starter Deleted member 3748
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3748

This was my first attempt at loading my Pioneer 500 into my truck bed. I went slow and it was easy. I put the spare tire from my trailer against the front of the box to keep me from blowing out the rear window. :D No more trailer for me.

BTW - I'm installing air springs this weekend to level the rear.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
This was my first attempt at loading my Pioneer 500 into my truck bed. I went slow and it was easy. I put the spare tire from my trailer against the front of the box to keep me from blowing out the rear window. :D No more trailer for me.

Are you just riding on the tailgate cables or do you have the DG supports?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

Good job! You'll love the air bags. My dad use to say he had an old bag! Whatever that means lol

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Just the cables. The extra supports are only needed for Chevys and Dodge. Right, @Remington ?
You would spend our money better to get the supports . If your f150 isnt clapped out there is no reason for air . A friend of mine hauls his all over in Ram 1500 (with gate supports) and has no problems at all . It is an f150= 1/2 ton = p500 don't weigh that much .

Reactions: sharp
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
You would spend our money better to get the supports . If your f150 isnt clapped out there is no reason for air . A friend of mine hauls his all over in Ram 1500 (with gate supports) and has no problems at all . It is an f150= 1/2 ton = p500 don't weigh that much .
He has the air for the stabilization from the the machine being too heavy above the cab. Up in northern michigan especially when crossing the MAC bridge (if too high they shut it down), winds can be treacherous. The extra stabilization and control no matter the truck is nice and much safer

D

Deleted member 3748

Besides stabilizing the load, I have a lift in the front to level the truck and when I load the back the headlights point up.

And the tailgate supports don't add any strength to the tailgate, they just won't break like the cables could. I considered it, but if you think about it... I have 500 lbs on the tailgate. That's two 250 lb guys sitting on it. If that snapped the cables or bent the tailgate I'd be really surprised.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Besides stabilizing the load, I have a lift in the front to level the truck and when I load the back the headlights point up.

And the tailgate supports don't add any strength to the tailgate, they just won't break like the cables could. I considered it, but if you think about it... I have 500 lbs on the tailgate. That's two 250 lb guys sitting on it. If that snapped the cables or bent the tailgate I'd be really surprised.
That's static loading. Going down the road adds dynamic loading, which can be drastically higher.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

I think I had 600 lbs easily on mine an multiple times this weekend with the 3' in diameter wet maple logs I cut, plus that dam tailgate step and bar. The tailgate weighs a ton when I take it off for my 5th wheel gate. Have to go to the chiropractor after removal lol. Yes those cables should hold as long as there not cut or rusted. There the same factory part number for the superdutys.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
That's static loading. Going down the road adds dynamic loading, which can be drastically higher.
wait a minute.....you must be an engineer? That's technical terms there! Lol my neighbor is one and throws that foreign language around (for those of us In Reo Linda)like a baseball! Lol :)

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I have Air Lift bags on mine, they're made in Michigan and guaranteed for life. Installed them in March and put 60 lbs in them for pulling the travel trailer. They're still at 60 lbs and they work. I have DG supports for my Sierra that I've never used but they won't fit that Ford.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X

Good point ! I have the supports BUT I have never heard of any tailgate straps breaking for any reason . All the old guys that I ride with have them and recommended them . I bought them so I wouldn't be hearing WE TOLD YOU SO . Better to close the gate before the cows get out .

D

Deleted member 3748

Good point ! I have the supports BUT I have never heard of any tailgate straps breaking for any reason . All the old guys that I ride with have them and recommended them . I bought them so I wouldn't be hearing WE TOLD YOU SO . Better to close the gate before the cows get out .

You guys got me thinking about it again. IF one of the cables did break, it would be a real problem. And $50 is cheap insurance, which isn't a much money when you consider what I paid for ramps and air springs.

Reactions: trigger
D

Deleted member 3748

I have Air Lift bags on mine, they're made in Michigan and guaranteed for life. Installed them in March and put 60 lbs in them for pulling the travel trailer. They're still at 60 lbs and they work. I have DG supports for my Sierra that I've never used but they won't fit that Ford.
Did you give up hauling it in the bed?

Reactions: trigger
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
You guys got me thinking about it again. IF one of the cables did break, it would be a real problem. And $50 is cheap insurance, which isn't a much money when you consider what I paid for ramps and air springs.
The way you have it now is 10 times safer than the trailer set up you had before! Lol
I'd use a real heavy wide yellow strap from the inside front of the bed and then around the back of the machine to the other side inside( should be doing that anyway for extra security) that would also take some of the weight off your gate if your still worried. Cheep and easy! I'm sure someone will have something to say that I'm not scientifically correct lol. o_O

D

Deleted member 3748

The way you have it now is 10 times safer than the trailer set up you had before! Lol
I'd use a real heavy wide yellow strap from the inside front of the bed and then around the back of the machine to the other side inside( should be doing that anyway for extra security) that would also take some of the weight off your gate if your still worried. Cheep and easy! I'm sure someone will have something to say that I'm not scientifically correct lol. o_O
My trailer is just fine! It was being too short that was the problem. SxSs have to be strapped on all four corners per the law. I'll pull the bulk of the load towards the front and just enough in the back to keep it from bouncing.

I'm not worried about the tailgate, but I am driving a 10 y/o truck. I can't afford a new Superduty every two years like you millionaires. ;) And with as much money as we blow on these machines, it's nothing to spend another $50 to make unbreakable tailgate supports.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
My trailer is just fine! It was being too short that was the problem. SxSs have to be strapped on all four corners per the law. I'll pull the bulk of the load towards the front and just enough in the back to keep it from bouncing.

I'm not worried about the tailgate, but I am driving a 10 y/o truck. I can't afford a new Superduty every two years like you millionaires. ;) And with as much money as we blow on these machines, it's nothing to spend another $50 to make unbreakable tailgate supports.
Understood

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!