P1000 Lockable Underseat Storage Access Door

H

hibbert

Nov 9, 2020
CR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey,

My LE already includes the underseat storage addon but it really is annoying to remove the seat each time.

I see a lot of people install this marine door-

But then it's easy for anyone to open and loot it.

So I was thinking about using a plastic or steel door like these-

I was wondering if anyone had a better suggesting for a locakable underseat storage door? Ideally I would like one with a combo lock so I don't have to remember keys.

I know that they could be opened with a screwdriver easily, but it would at least deter opportunisitic theft.

P.S. If anyone else is looking for secure storage options, I also installed the Hi-Standard Outfitters centre console which is absolutely awesome.

Reactions: TripleB and JenElio
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Even if you lock the storage door if someone really wants to get at it they just pop the seat up. The marine door works nice cause you can trim one of the outer lips for a nice flush finish

H

hibbert

Nov 9, 2020
CR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Even if you lock the storage door if someone really wants to get at it they just pop the seat up. The marine door works nice cause you can trim one of the outer lips for a nice flush finish

Yes but that would require working knowledge of the machine and removing a child seat that's ratched in place versus just the marine door that opens easily.

Obviously no lock down there is going to be 100% secure but a simple lock will deter most opportunistic theft in combination with the alarm.

Reactions: JenElio
JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Yes but that would require working knowledge of the machine and removing a child seat that's ratched in place versus just the marine door that opens easily.

Obviously no lock down there is going to be 100% secure but a simple lock will deter most opportunistic theft in combination with the alarm.
True.

Have you considered the door storage mod. Really an out of sight out of mind scenario. Unless thief knows of the mod no way to find it

Reactions: TripleB
H

hibbert

Nov 9, 2020
CR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
True.

Have you considered the door storage mod. Really an out of sight out of mind scenario. Unless thief knows of the mod no way to find it

That will be the next one!

JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Also if security is a big concern, I'm sure you can modify/replace the glove box lever to lock. I've not looked into it too much but I'm sure its doable

Last edited:
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey,

My LE already includes the underseat storage addon but it really is annoying to remove the seat each time.

I see a lot of people install this marine door-

But then it's easy for anyone to open and loot it.

So I was thinking about using a plastic or steel door like these-

I was wondering if anyone had a better suggesting for a locakable underseat storage door? Ideally I would like one with a combo lock so I don't have to remember keys.

I know that they could be opened with a screwdriver easily, but it would at least deter opportunisitic theft.

P.S. If anyone else is looking for secure storage options, I also installed the Hi-Standard Outfitters centre console which is absolutely awesome.
JMO, I think you are 'overly concerned' where there really in not a problem. Most folks have other gear in the SxS that is totally exposed. Is ALL your gear securely locked up while riding with a group?

H

hibbert

Nov 9, 2020
CR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also if security is a big concern, I'm sure you can modify/replace the glove box lever to lock. I've not looked into it too much but I'm sure its doable

Yes I am going to replace that with a combo lock.

JMO, I think you are 'overly concerned' where there really in not a problem. Most folks have other gear in the SxS that is totally exposed. Is ALL your gear securely locked up while riding with a group?

I live in Costa Rica where opportunistic theft is rampant at the moment. It's also street legal to drive and will often be parked while surfing in busy lots.

Obviously I'll never leave anything high value but even busted up $10 flip flops thrown into the back of the bed aren't safe. A simple lock and motorcycle alarm will deter most in busy lots.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Even then, wouldn’t take much to pry that door off really quick, nothing truly is safe but it would deter the random opportunity guy more so If there was a lock. I still wouldn’t feel safe leaving anything of value in there, tools etc I’m not as worried about I guess.

You could always put a small safe in there and secure it.

advertisement
H

hibbert

Nov 9, 2020
CR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Even then, wouldn’t take much to pry that door off really quick, nothing truly is safe but it would deter the random opportunity guy more so If there was a lock. I still wouldn’t feel safe leaving anything of value in there, tools etc I’m not as worried about I guess.

You could always put a small safe in there and secure it.

I have a pad lock on my gate, but you can still open the gate normally because of how long the shackle is.

You'll be amazed how many people that keeps out even though you can just open it the same as if the padlock isn't there haha!

Hey @hibbert. Did we mention pics or it didn't happen....... Im sure that $32K+ P1K5 looks badass in that Pura Vida scenery 😉

I haven't finished all the mods yet!

H

hibbert

Nov 9, 2020
CR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We like progress pics too!!!
What is this "finished" you talk about 😆😆

It's been a 1 step forward 2 step backwards kind of progress!

It will be finished when USPS get's their act together - just missing the isolator, cab skid plates and to find something to protect sticks coming through the dash behind the wheels and it's done!

• Haha
Reactions: JenElio and TripleB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!