Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Considering buying a AR15 finally…not sure if I’m going to like it…yet.

What ever I decide, I will try at a range before purchasing if possible (or similar).

to be clear I’m right handed but left eye dominate…I grew up shooting right hand guns backwards…as that’s all the we had. To this day I own all right handed rifles and shot guns.

Never been a AR fan…I think they are butt ugly….but I do see value in one as I am considering one for coyotes and possibly prairie dogs with a suppressor. I know it won’t compete in accuracy (without huge coin) compared to my Ruger m77 mkII heavy barrel 223, but that’s ok.

Since I’m particular to S&W, I was considering their MP sport as a base work with? Is there ones to avoid?

id like to keep the budget below 1k…

Any opinions are welcome..

oh yeah my previous guns were lost in a tragic boating accident so I no longer have them…

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have/had :rolleyes: the S&W M&P AR for long time. Great AR to shoot, to work with and to build off of. Also think its great for beginners as well.

All my guns were lost in a house fire my wife started. she had a Vibrating device plugged in too long and it shorted at the tip! terrible loss.. 🥳

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I would also recommend these types of MGAzine’s they never jamm 🥳
C388A4C7 4D49 4D03 BD0B 2209670FEF52

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have the S&W AR - OR (optics ready) and added a Redfield scope. I bought it because nobama didn't want me to have it and Kalirado was about to enact a 15 round MAGAzine limit (they grandfathered existing mags). S&W gets good reviews so I'm happy with my choice.

I'm not a 'gun guy', I'm a motorhead but love fine machinery, hence guns. I'm also north of 70 so I like having equalizers handy (yes, plural).

Barracuda

Barracuda

Lifetime Member
Oct 14, 2021
Washington state
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV

2. w/Turbo
When buying a complete AR I would recommend a Rock River for a complete AR-15. There are many good manufacturers on a complete rifle, but I would also recommend building one over buying a complete rifle. Aero Precision makes some nice components - I believe you could build once (buying a complete upper and a complete lower) for under a $1000... not sure if they sell a complete rifle - never looked for one. If you are savvy you can also buy all the individual components and do the assembly yourself, but some specific tools may be needed - this option may be better if you want specific components rather than buying a complete AR and then swapping over to preferred accessories later on...

Barracuda

Barracuda

Lifetime Member
Oct 14, 2021
Washington state
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV

2. w/Turbo
One thing I’m concerned about is the shell ejection as I shoot rifles the wrong way…is it a big deal for those whom are backwards like myself?
There are a couple manufacturers that make a left handed rifle (ejects on the opposite side) - Rock River is one I noticed, but I know there are others.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When buying a complete AR I would recommend a Rock River for a complete AR-15. There are many good manufacturers on a complete rifle, but I would also recommend building one over buying a complete rifle. Aero Precision makes some nice components - I believe you could build once (buying a complete upper and a complete lower) for under a $1000... not sure if they sell a complete rifle - never looked for one. If you are savvy you can also buy all the individual components and do the assembly yourself, but some specific tools may be needed - this option may be better if you want specific components rather than buying a complete AR and then swapping over to preferred accessories later on...
Good points…I’ve considered and certainly capable of doing so…my issue is I’m not even sure I want to buy one yet. I’ve only shot 1-2 rounds thru one 10 years ago, and hated the shells hitting my face at that time.

Thus my thinking of buying one first.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hmm, but your also particular to Ruger.
….sounds like you could be interested in getting a little more accuracy out of an AR?

Why not a Ruger optics ready MPR with an 18” barrel?
2” longer than S&W

I got one with a 4-12x vortex scope mounted on it.

Yes you are correct I like Ruger as well. All my big guns are Rugers. Browning Shottys and S&W hand guns.

I guess you could say I’m not limited..I’m sure that there are many good options on a mil spec item.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I need to move this to the gun section to hide it from the google.
That you have to do that REALLY SUCKS. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
One thing I’m concerned about is the shell ejection as I shoot rifles the wrong way…is it a big deal for those whom are backwards like myself?
Sorry, I read that and then promptly forgot it. 😊 I don't know - anybody else?

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There are a couple manufacturers that make a left handed rifle (ejects on the opposite side) - Rock River is one I noticed, but I know there are others.
Yes the dilemma…I’ve been shooting the “wrong” way so long that it would be uncomfortable for me to change…and I’d have a rifle that would be harder to sell in the future.

for sure it’s something I’ll look into.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
S&W M&P series is lower grade but gets the job done. RRA is overpriced for what you get. Ruger is similar to S&W.

You can easily build a solid AR15 platform firearm for well under $1,000.

For best value, Palmetto State Armory is the way to go. They are what I call "the working man's AR". Transferable lifetime warranty on everything they produce, and nearly everything with thr PSA name on it is manufactured right here in the US. No, they are not the most accurate, but most shooters do not have the skill to outshoot the capabilities of the firearm. You can also purchase a complete lower (receiver, fire control group, buffer/tube, stock or brace, etc.) and a complete upper group (upper receiver, barrel, BCG, charg3 handle, etc.) and save yourself the 11% federal excise tax that's built into the price of a complete rifle or pistol.

Personally, I'd build ... and, IMHO, the best parts in the sub-$1K range, go with Aero Precision. The M4E1 lower is the gold standard when building a sub-$1K rifle or pistol.

Put your money into the barrel, the BCG and the receiver. Ballistic Advantage, Faxon or FN on the barrel and a nice Toolcraft BCG. The rest doesn't make as much of a difference.

For optics, it depends on how you plan to use it. Red dot for CQB or nice magnified scope for 150+ yards. Primary Arms and Vortex make decent glass in your price range, and most of their offerings also have lifetime warranties.

FYI: I'm an FFL and have sold, built and/or transferred hundreds and hundreds of AR platform firearms (among others).

Last edited:
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
S&W M&P series is lower grade but gets the job done. RRA is overpriced for what you get. Ruger is similar to S&W.

You can easily build a solid AR15 platform firearm for well under $1,000.

For best value, Palmetto State Armory is the way to go. They are what I call "the working man's AR". Transferable lifetime warranty on everything they produce, and nearly everything with thr PSA name on it is manufactured right here in the US. No, they are not the most accurate, but most shooters do not have the skill to outshoot the capabilities of the firearm. You can also purchase a complete lower (receiver, fire control group, buffer/tube, stock or brace, etc.) and a complete upper group (upper receiver, barrel, BCG, charg3 handle, etc.) and save yourself the 11% federal excise tax that's built into the price of a complete rifle or pistol.

Personally, I'd build ... and, IMHO, the best parts in the sub-$1K range, go with Aero Precision. The M4E1 lower is the gold standard when building a sub-$1K rifle or pistol.

Put your money into the barrel, the BCG and the receiver. Ballistic Advantage or FN on the barrel and a nice Toolcraft BCG. The rest doesn't make as much of a difference.

For optics, it depends on how you plan to use it. Red dot for CQB or nice magnified scope for 150+ yards. Primary Arms and Vortex make decent glass in your price range, and most of their offerings also have lifetime warranties.

FYI: I'm an FFL and have sold, built and/or transferred hundreds and hundreds of AR platform firearms (among others).
Thanks for the pointers.

No red dot for me…can’t stand them no matter how much I try to learn it. Prefer iron sights at 150 or less (30 years of shooting is hard to override).

I was thinking a nice vortex detachable scope would be a starting point.

when I setup for PD / coyote shooting the ranges are easily 200 plus. Most of my rifles are sighted in at 300.

Buckshot07

Buckshot07

Dec 31, 2020
PA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks for the pointers.

No red dot for me…can’t stand them no matter how much I try to learn it. Prefer iron sights at 150 or less (30 years of shooting is hard to override).

I was thinking a nice vortex detachable scope would be a starting point.

when I setup for PD / coyote shooting the ranges are easily 200 plus. Most of my rifles are sighted in at 300.
Some grouping tests of friends reloads through my Ruger MPR

just various bullets he had on hand from .22-250 reloading.

EE9907F8 1477 4B33 9ACE 1A72DD639B30

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!