Recommendations for a Minimum Set of Firearms...

TitanTom

TitanTom

Forum Rocket Scientist
Lifetime Member
May 31, 2020
NE Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If I were looking to put together a minimum set of useful firearms, this is what I'd do. Keep in mind you can spend a lot to do this, but I've concentrated on building a set on a very realistic budget.

1) The first I'd shop for is a good, eminently serviceable 22. Above all else, a 22 is what's gonna keep you fed. Think squirrels and rabbits. A Ruger 10/22 fills the bill nicely, and they come in a gazillion configurations. Stainless steel construction is a must, and a 10/22 Takedown in stainless is at the top of the list.

2) Nothing is quite as versatile as a shotgun. A 12 ga Remington Express Magnum, paired with an extra 18 or 20 inch barrel will meet all needs, Mossberg will do the same if you favor that brand.

3) There's an old saying that makes a lot of sense - "There ain't too many problems a man can't fix with 700 dollars and a 30-06". Wise thinking. 30-06 ammo, while not as plentiful as 308, will handle heavier bullets better, and will take down, with careful shot placement, about anything on the planet, and at least anything you might encounter in North America. A Savage Axis, again in stainless steel, fitted with a good scope, will serve you well, and won't break the bank.

4) How about a nice, handy carbine. Most folks immediately gravitate to the AR platform, and there's nothing wrong with that, but I'm gonna stick with the traditional American approach to a civilian carbine, which is to pair it with your pistol. You can take your pick here between a Marlin or Rossi stainless lever gun in 357 mag. Henry makes 357carbines, but none that I know of in SS. Ive owned both the Marlin and Rossi in this caliber, for me, Rossi gets the nod due to it's price point.

5) You need a nice, SS 357 revolver to go with that carbine. EVERYBODY makes them, just about, and as long as you stick with a good brand, you can't go wrong. S&W makes a wide range, and Colt's brought back the Python, so if you have a buttload of cash you can try those. My wife, on her own, shopped for and bought a Taurus 627 Tracker that has, with 38 spl rounds, out performed several of my S&W target revolvers. My 2 favorites are the Ruger Security Six and truly outstanding Smith 620, both of which are discontinued but can be found used. A Ruger GP100 is likewise hard to beat.

If you are the 'Tacticool' kind of guy, you can replace my more traditional options above with:

1) A tricked out 10/22
2) A Mossberg 590
3) An M1A in 308
4) An AR carbine
5) A Glock G17 9mm

Or whatever you fancy.

Last edited:
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would actually argue that ‘06 is way more plentiful than 308.

There isn’t anything in NA that a ‘06 won’t take down and the rounds (in normal years) are cheap as dirt, easily reloaded.

In my area a 308 is easily outnumbered 10 to one 1 by ‘06 in availability of guns and ammo.

if the SHF these are the guns I’m carrying.
My trusty Marlin 10-22, 12 gauge BPS, Ruger M77 MkII in 30-06 and a 1911.

maybe a glock in 9mm as a alternative.

I’d want guns that I’d have high probability of scavenging rounds for.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Marlin 60 is a cheap alternative to a 10/22
i'd sub a 44 mag for the 357 carbine and revolver
I agree on the 22.... but I absolutely love my 17 hmr. Ammo costs more, but it's still cheap and far more capable than a 22. I'd still have a 22, but I'd give up a lot before i'd give up the 17

TitanTom

TitanTom

Forum Rocket Scientist
Lifetime Member
May 31, 2020
NE Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I guess ammo availability is a regional thing. Ive been to multiple convenience stores in Alaska that stocked 338 Win Mag. Here in FL you'd be hard pressed to find it at a well-stocked gun shop.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I guess ammo availability is a regional thing. Ive been to multiple convenience stores in Alaska that stocked 338 Win Mag. Here in FL you'd be hard pressed to find it at a well-stocked gun shop.
I'd venture to guess that far more people up there NEED .338 ammo than down here in the 48... Y'all got scarier critters up there.

R

rickoshea

this is one of the oldest discussions/arguments on the internet.12 gauge pump with smooth and a rifled barrels and various chokes,s&w 44 mag,9mm of your favourite flavour,7.62x39 because 1500 rounds is $250.anything you can kill with a .22 you can snare/trap for free. all my bases covered.almost forgot a 30-30.no rifle is easier to pack than my marlin 336.i have many more but if i had to pick,these would be my keepers.

Last edited:
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If I were looking to put together a minimum set of useful firearms, this is what I'd do. Keep in mind you can spend a lot to do this, but I've concentrated on building a set on a very realistic budget.

1) The first I'd shop for is a good, eminently serviceable 22. Above all else, a 22 is what's gonna keep you fed. Think squirrels and rabbits. A Ruger 10/22 fills the bill nicely, and they come in a gazillion configurations. Stainless steel construction is a must, and a 10/22 Takedown in stainless is at the top of the list.

2) Nothing is quite as versatile as a shotgun. A 12 ga Remington Express Magnum, paired with an extra 18 or 20 inch barrel will meet all needs, Mossberg will do the same if you favor that brand.

3) There's an old saying that makes a lot of sense - "There ain't too many problems a man can't fix with 700 dollars and a 30-06". Wise thinking. 30-06 ammo, while not as plentiful as 308, will handle heavier bullets better, and will take down, with careful shot placement, about anything on the planet, and at least anything you might encounter in North America. A Savage Axis, again in stainless steel, fitted with a good scope, will serve you well, and won't break the bank.

4) How about a nice, handy carbine. Most folks immediately gravitate to the AR platform, and there's nothing wrong with that, but I'm gonna stick with the traditional American approach to a civilian carbine, which is to pair it with your pistol. You can take your pick here between a Marlin or Rossi stainless lever gun in 357 mag. Henry makes 357carbines, but none that I know of in SS. Ive owned both the Marlin and Rossi in this caliber, for me, Rossi gets the nod due to it's price point.

5) You need a nice, SS 357 revolver to go with that carbine. EVERYBODY makes them, just about, and as long as you stick with a good brand, you can't go wrong. S&W makes a wide range, and Colt's brought back the Python, so if you have a buttload of cash you can try those. My wife, on her own, shopped for and bought a Taurus 627 Tracker that has, with 38 spl rounds, out performed several of my S&W target revolvers. My 2 favorites are the Ruger Security Six and truly outstanding Smith 620, both of which are discontinued but can be found used. A Ruger GP100 is likewise hard to beat.

If you are the 'Tacticool' kind of guy, you can replace my more traditional options above with:

1) A tricked out 10/22
2) A Mossberg 590
3) An M1A in 308
4) An AR carbine
5) A Glock G17 9mm

Or whatever you fancy.

Agreed,
But I don't feel the need for stainless everything.

R

rickoshea

Same here...stands out too much.
i take my stainless 629 out with me every time i go shooting.it's a pain in the ass to clean after putting a box of shells thru it.it still puts a huge smile on my mug every time so it's worth the cleaning effort.

• Haha
Reactions: Biteme and Rick53
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i take my stainless 629 out with me every time i go shooting.it's a pain in the ass to clean after putting a box of shells thru it.it still puts a huge smile on my mug every time so it's worth the cleaning effort.

No, doubt, both my marlin 22 and my big rifles are stainless.

If minimalist and survival from all threats is the thinking, the last thing I want is a big ole shiny stainless gun in my hand.
I guess from that POV, a rattle can camo job would do the trick regardless of what you had.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Insread of a terminator though, just picture a gnome in its place

TitanTom

TitanTom

Forum Rocket Scientist
Lifetime Member
May 31, 2020
NE Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I admit I'm fairly fond of stainless steel, but do I have blued ones as well. And even though the venerable 1911 doesn't even get an Honorable Mention in my original post, trust me, I do have one or two lying around somewhere...

DSC 0584
DSC 0586
DSC 0587

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!