Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
The lower: Buy a lower. Any Lower. They are mill spec.
The Trigger: If you want accuracy out to 200 yards plus, you will want a nice trigger. I have opinions about which one(s) to use. I will share them with you if you like.
The upper: This is where it happens. Do some research and pick your upper carefully. I see that Scoop doesn't like RRA, and that's OK. I have one that is easily the most repeatable I've ever shot.
A 20" bull barrel will be super accurate but you will not want to carry it around.
The Optics: I can drop a Cayote at 100 yards with any of them (Red Dot, Iron or Crosshairs). But If you want to go out to 200 yards a good scope is required. Although I don't think you have to spend $1000 to get a good scope.

IMO: if you are wanting to shoot prairie dogs at 200 yards you should look into an AR-10. There are more options for long range rounds. The uppers are more expensive however. You still could build something for under $1200.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hmm, but your also particular to Ruger.
….sounds like you could be interested in getting a little more accuracy out of an AR?

Why not a Ruger optics ready MPR with an 18” barrel?
2” longer than S&W

I had one with a 4-12x vortex scope mounted on it…..until the boating accident.
just various bullets he had on hand from .22-250 reloading.

View attachment 309654
looking a bit closer at MPR kinda leads me to believe it has most of the features that are commonly added. Locally I can pickup one for around $850….

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Trigger: If you want accuracy out to 200 yards plus, you will want a nice trigger. I have opinions about which one(s) to use. I will share them with you if you like.
The upper: This is where it happens. Do some research and pick your upper carefully. I see that Scoop doesn't like RRA, and that's OK. I have one that is easily the most repeatable I've ever shot.
A 20" bull barrel will be super accurate but you will not want to carry it around.
The Optics: I can drop a Cayote at 100 yards with any of them (Red Dot, Iron or Crosshairs). But If you want to go out to 200 yards a good scope is required. Although I don't think you have to spend $1000 to get a good scope.

IMO: if you are wanting to shoot prairie dogs at 200 yards you should look into an AR-10. There are more options for long range rounds. The uppers are more expensive however. You still could build something for under $1200.
Maybe I should clear it up a bit…my ranges are going to be 300 or less. I already have a big gun for the long stuff.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Maybe I should clear it up a bit…my ranges are going to be 300 or less. I already have a big gun for the long stuff.
Also, Someone else mentioned a deflector. You can address the left hand shooting without much trouble.

They also make an ambidextrous bolt if you need one.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Thanks for the pointers.

No red dot for me…can’t stand them no matter how much I try to learn it. Prefer iron sights at 150 or less (30 years of shooting is hard to override).

I was thinking a nice vortex detachable scope would be a starting point.

when I setup for PD / coyote shooting the ranges are easily 200 plus. Most of my rifles are sighted in at 300.
An excellent optic at a palatable price for your intended use would be the Primary Arms 1-6x24 SFP Gen III w/ ACSS reticle:

Not a big fan of the detachable mounts myself. My preferred mount on an AR15 rifle in 5.56 NATO:

Last edited:
Reactions: Biteme and J80
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Nope. Stay away from any polymer lower. Forged lowers: stick with 7075-T6 aluminum forged lowers, as older lowers made with 6061-T6 are weaker. And while most forged lowers will suffice or many people, billet lowers are stronger - but most folks are fine with forged lowers for average use, so save your $ and go forged.

Beyond that, some lowers do have features that others don't. That's why I always recommend the Aero Precision M4E1 lower.

On the M4E1, instead of roll pins it has a threaded bolt catch and a threaded takedown pin detent These make it easier to build (and R&R components) AND you can remove the buffer tube without having to worry about the detent and spring flying out. It has an integrated trigger guard. It has a flared magazine well to make mag insertion easier. Finally, it has a nylon tipped tension screw that you used to adjust the fit between the upper and the lower (eliminate the wobble/play).

The best bang for your buck on a 2-stage trigger is the LaRue Tactical MBT-2S available in either straight or curved bow. No, it's certainly not a Geissele or Timney trigger, but it's 1/3 of the price of a Gisseele or Timney while packing great two-stage performance. They offer a single stage version as well if you're building a CQB/self-defense firearm, too.
I didn't say I didn't like RRA. I said they were overpriced. You can build a far better performing firearm for the same money you'll spend buying an RRA. For the record, I'm an RRA authorized dealer (but rarely order/sell from them) and, many moons ago, my first AR platform rifle was a RRA.
For sure. At the other end of the spectrum, the thinner/lighter the barrel you get, the more prone it could be to warping if heated up too much (rare/never for the average shooter).

The bigger question is: what material the barrels is made of and who makes it. In the upper price range of a working man's AR, Ballistic Advantage, Aero Precision, Faxon and FN are my top choices, regardless of barrel profile.

Finally, barrel twist rate is important. Certain twist rates are better for certain projectile weights. A 1:7 twist rate means it takes 7" of barrel to rotate the projective 1 turn, while a 1:9 means it takes 9" to do the same. Be sure to do your research before purchasing a barrel, but understand there is no one single "best" twist rate. Generally speaking, the lighter the projectile, the more twist you want. Here's a quick chart to help see which rates work best for which weight projectiles for some very common 223/5.56 sizes:

Lots of guys with decent eyesight are very accurate with iron sights well past 200 yards. But, yes, a nice magnifying scope is great for out past 150-200 yards. You're right, too -- no need to spend $1K to get a "good" scope. Lots of options below that.
The effective firing range of 5.56 NATO is upwards of 600 yards. No problem for smaller critters (e.g., prairie dogs) at those distances. But, going for bigger game at longer distances is best served by a bigger caliber (.eg., 308, 6.5 Creedmoor) off the AR10 platform. Sure, they can cost a bit more to build and shoot, but not crazy money more - just think of it as "super-sizing" your Big Mac meal ... :D

Last edited:
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
What's the most popular caliber? When poop hits the fan!
I often suggest you (first) standardize on common/NATO caliber rounds: 223/5.56, .308, 7.62x39 and 9MM would be at the top of any list. In a long range hunting round, go 30-06. In a crazy "end of the world" or civil war scenario (yes, very highly unlikely), if you happen to come across a stash of ammo or take out an enemy and confiscate their ammo, it's most likely going to be these, as odds are pretty good you're NOT going to come across or confiscate a huge stash of 300 Blackout, 7mm-08 Rem or .44 Magnum. Do stash and have firearms for .22LR as well (small game hunting).

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Any comments on the Wylde chamber?
You can shoot both 5.56 NATO and 223 out of a 5.56 marked barrel, but not the other way around.

Even so, shooting 223 out of a 5.56 barrel is less accurate than shooting 223 with a 223 barreled firearm.

Enter the Wylde chambered barrel.

The design of the Wylde chamber is to allow you to shoot both calibers out of the same barrel but retain the accuracy of the 223 that you would normally lose shooting it through a 5.56 barrel.

For most shooters who only use their time to turn money into noise, they won't notice a difference. But if you start getting into accuracy AND you want to shoot both calibers from a single firearm, you'll benefit from the Wylde barrel.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Yes the dilemma…I’ve been shooting the “wrong” way so long that it would be uncomfortable for me to change…and I’d have a rifle that would be harder to sell in the future.

for sure it’s something I’ll look into.

Have had the same problem my whole life. When I was a kid I could fit my face over the stock and shoot right handed. Couldn't do it as I got older, not with iron sights anyway. Learned how to shoot left handed and got pretty good at it but still prefer right. A scope makes it possible though. Put a Burris prism scope (poor mans ACOG) on an AR with a carry handle. Puts it high enough to use with my left eye shooting right handed.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Today I went to a big box store with the intent of looking at the Ruger MPS, but the counter guy was so bad that I really was disappointed to the point of forgetting about a AR type of rifle. I was quite frustrated because what the guy was saying didn’t make sense and really treated me as just another guy wanting to hold a movie guy, but couldn’t afford it.

Checked out another big box, this time with much better gun people…but still wasn’t happy.

Finally went to the local gun shop (where I should have started), the kind that knows your name. After explaining my situation, and asking lots of questions, I settled on a RR Coyote Carbine and added a vortex strike eagle 1-8 optics. It was a bit more than i wanted to spend, but it came pretty much ready as I wanted it and included a hard case. Also comes with 5 mag rebate as well. Some of the other patrons in the shop were helpful as well. I decided to pass on it….

Conveniently, (mostly dumb luck) I found the same POS in a ditch on the way home…I felt so sorry for it I decided to give it a good home that does atmospheric testing weekly. I knew my Hondasxs family would be disappointed if I didn’t rescue it even if it wasn’t what everyone suggested

0EAAFC3F 0FDE 4489 B512 496E29696B65

Now I might have to have one of those famous @Ridinfool letters to explain this orphan that needs a home to the wife…

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!