Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Hi all, as the title implies I’m looking for go kart advice.

I have been around motors all my life and outdoors all the time. I have three girls and they range in age from 16 to 8. The oldest is of driving age. The oldest is on the short side in stature at around 5’ tall.

the only off road vehicle they have ever known is my P1k5. The oldest sometimes drives it but doesn’t like how powerful it is. All three have interest at times in off-roading.

Im thinking that a gokart might be good for them as I would like to teach the following:

Driving skills
Learn how to maintain and start a basic engine
Learn something that they might teach their kids / family.

I fear I’m a bit late for the oldest and maybe have lost her (she does ask about how to change oil on her car, so I think I still have a chance), but my goal is to show my young ladies that it is cool to do powersports (boys will be jealous) and there is life away from the tablet and phone.

I’m stuck with the issue of what kind of go kart to get. I am thinking something like a Coleman kt196…big enough that the oldest could drive, but not so crazy that the youngest couldn’t drive.

Budget is going to be in that 1500 range. Might find a fixer upper..

looking for suggestions/advice.

Already have helmets etc.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So......if being that they are older (then my kids anyways) try to get something with electric start and a reverse gear. Part of the reason I'm getting rid of Jr's go-cart and looking for a wheeler. They tend to get frustrated when they come up on something mid trail or wherever and have to get out and pull the cart back out to keep going. My next door neighbor has a coleman like you posted and the kids like it, seems well built.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
So......if being that they are older (then my kids anyways) try to get something with electric start and a reverse gear. Part of the reason I'm getting rid of Jr's go-cart and looking for a wheeler. They tend to get frustrated when they come up on something mid trail or wherever and have to get out and pull the cart back out to keep going. My next door neighbor has a coleman like you posted and the kids like it, seems well built.
Right now I’m just looking to get them going….I’ll be proud if I catch them drifting and jumping crap lol

advertisement
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Those Honda knock off engines are prettty crappy, and getting parts if you need, who knows. But I am sure if you had to, you can put a real Honda on there. I do believe the bolt patterns and crank dimensions are all the same.

Reactions: Mudwing and Vikes79
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Those Honda knock off engines are prettty crappy, and getting parts if you need, who knows. But I am sure if you had to, you can put a real Honda on there. I do believe the bolt patterns and crank dimensions are all the same.

I bought a RZR 170 for my girls. It had a simple removable jumper wire for the governor.
I was able to sell it for not much less than I had in it when we got rid of it.
The girls now drive my RMAX.

both valid points. I don’t expect to have this go kart around for more than 3 years and then move to something else.

around here the go carts tend to hold their value as they don’t get used in the winter if there’s any amount of snow.

maybe the 170 is a better choice as maybe it could go on some trail rides?

Buckshot07

Buckshot07

Dec 31, 2020
PA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Or is something like this a better choice?

I have this one for my kids
but not sure if same manufacturer.
Definitely same machine by looking at the website. It is a Chinese copy of a Honda 110 engine.
Friend of mine was a dealer.

Has an adjustable seat. I can squeeze into it to move it but not comfortably.

We limited the top speed by adding washers under the gas pedal until both kids got the hang of driving.

It also has a hand held remote that will shut down the machine from a distance if you see them driving unsafe.

Buckshot07

Buckshot07

Dec 31, 2020
PA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Friend was a dealer. Exact copy of Honda engine. Honda parts will fit.
He would adjust the valves from new, drill out the jet for easier starting and be good to go.

Buckshot07

Buckshot07

Dec 31, 2020
PA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Some yes, some no.
Copy of Honda casting that required every one to be ground for chain clearance in the way it was mounted in the machine.
5F12708E D853 4423 85CD EBF5A032D0C1

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!