Looking for mini quad parts help!

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
OK Honda SxS members- I am looking for help finding mini quad parts, specifically brake levers for my son's Eton Impulse 50cc. This is a great machine that is a hand-me-down so I know the history of it clear back to 2012 (2000 model). Anyway- my issue is this thing is mini quad all the way except for the handle bars and controls - adult size! My boy can stretch out his fingers from the had grips and is still short over an inch of reaching the brake levers. So I want to find some new ones with a bend that gets them closer to the grips as well as a little shorter in length to fit his hands.

What I've tried:
1) bending the stock ones - nope, started to fatigue the pot-metal. Tried some heat- just about warm enough and "pop" the thing just blew apart!
2) ordered from adjustable levers - the base of these where the brake cable attaches is at the completely wrong angle and put the levers even further away from the grips.
3) ordered a bunch of different Parts Unlimited $5 levers - have one that might work but it is 2 inches longer that the end of the hand grip.

I thought that I read on-line years ago that bicycle levers would work? Been trying to find a bike shop that carries levers to compare.

So I am turning to the members of this forum for advise / help since all the ATV specific forums I use to go to are all but shut-down. I figure some of you must have come from other forums or just moved-on from ATV's to SxS. Let me know anything, even a small lead. Google and MSM search gets me nothing but adds from Amazon and Ebay.

Last edited:
Reactions: TimG
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
How do the bars mount? Could you put some from one of the cheap Chinese 50cc kid quads on there?

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
The handle bars mount just like any quad- 2 clamps with 2 bolts in them that form a saddle for the bar.

As for the brake levers - left and right - they have the slot with the hole that the cable goes into (like a clutch cable) and then a pivot hole that attaches to the perch. Main issue is on the left brake, there is a parking brake and a lever position switch that is the starter safety- have to have the parking brake set to allow the starter to engage.

Do you know of any of the cheap Chinese makers that have a website? Google has not found me much.

5/24/2021 Edit: Sorry, I forgot to mention that the bars are standard 7/8" diameter. So any ATV, dirt bike, bicycle bar will fit.

Last edited:
MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
I take it not many come to this area of the forum? Or is it the transition from quad to SxS is usually from a utility quad, not a sport quad? Anyway, still trying to find a compatible brake lever with a different bend for my boy's little Eton 50

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I take it not many come to this area of the forum? Or is it the transition from quad to SxS is usually from a utility quad, not a sport quad? Anyway, still trying to find a compatible brake lever with a different bend for my boy's little Eton 50
Can you post a pic of what’s there now so someone can get an idea what they have to work with? I’m a retired dirt biker so no clue on quads.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
A quick google search lead me here. 😎 Not sure how close those are as I would need to see pics of what you have 😉
C9EEA555 2FA1 4FB7 8F75 6A3CE32A199A
3D9F7954 0FC7 4745 AE7B EB0205BD119A

Reactions: Backwoods and CID
MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks Mudwing. Sorry I have neglected to take any pictures of this lever despite I have been working on this for almost a month!

The lever in the top picture is the direct replacement lever. That will not get me what I am after - the lever closer to the hand grip. The issue that I can best tell is that straight machined surface close to the pivot hole - the angle that "line" is, is opposite what standard levers are. The Eton lever perch does not stick straight-out forward from the handle bars, it actually angles towards the steering stem. So when I put the closest looking "standard" lever I got from Parts Unlimited on the Eton perch- the lever stick forward another 2 inches further than the stock lever. Basically I need that pivot end design with a "dog-leg" bend lever on the other end.

Reactions: Mudwing
MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
SJC3001 - The TRX 70 lever is a more standard type design. See my explanation above. But thanks for the site suggestion- I spent some time looking at parts on there I may order for my ATC projects!

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
This is what the original stock left side brake lever looks like:
Eton left brake lever

If you notice- the part that the lever seats into with the parking brake lever on it points off to the right as compared to the round clamp that goes around the handle bar

This is a picture of the remains of the original left brake lever on the left (black) and the closest fitting lever from Parts Unlimited. See the angle difference in the flat next to the pivot hole.
IMG 0916

So this is what happens when the lever is mounted to the original perch- the lever in the disengaged brake position is another 2-inches further away from the hand-grip area.
IMG 0917

This is the right side for comparison:
IMG 0920

So what I would like to find is a lever that will work in that perch that has a dog-leg bend in it to get the lever closer to the hand grip - or - find a lever/perch combo that has that safety switch in it that is at a different angle to again get the lever closer to the hand grip. The stock set-up has the levers about 1-1/8" further out than the ends of my 6 yr old's finger tips.

Let me know of any leads or ideas.

Thanks.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Google Chinese quad parts.
I rebuilt one a while back for friends and also found parts on azon.
Chinese puzzle this little guy are..

VMC Chinese Parts | ATV, UTV, Scooter, Go Kart & Dirt Bike parts.

Last edited:
MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
Thank you for the reply and suggestion Dirtstiffs-1000; however, the VMC Chinese parts site will once again get me a "stock" replacement lever. The other non-direct replacement levers on their site are the same Parts Unlimited ones that I bought already.

Again, I am looking for NOT stock levers, but ones that are different shaped to get the lever closer to the handgrip. I think my next try is going to order an entire lever and perch assembly for another kids quad and see if that may work.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can you heat one of the stock replacements and bend it to the desired position?

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There is a chance the tube diameter is the same as a bicycle. Maybe a child's bicycle handlebar with brake levers and it may fit.

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
JeremieBaker- That was one idea I have come across, but the original levers are too cheaply made- I added a little heat to try and bend the left one and it actually went "pop" and broke in half before I could even try bending it.

Robobrainiac- I thought I read somewhere as well that bicycle levers could be used- specifically I think I read mountain bike levers. I may yet go that route.

Mean while this is what I did over the week-end:
IMG 0935
I had bought these levers because they were adjustable as well as had the "dog-leg" bend to them. However the angle that the lever "stop" that touches the perch put these another 2" ~ 3" further away from the hand grip than the original lever. So since I broke the original left-side lever, I got to looking and took the left adjustable lever apart and figured out a way to combine the 2 levers.

This is what I cam up with:
IMG 0936

I cut-down the stock lever cable end to allow the pivot end of the adjustable lever to bolt on. I then drilled and tapped the stock end to install an Allen head 4mm screw to set the distance for the adjustment cam of the adjustable lever to set on. The picture above is lever installed and rear brake fully adjusted so a pull of the lever to the handle bar locks up the rear brake. Here is another angle:
IMG 0937

Thank you guys for all the suggestions. I am going to run this for now and see how it lasts. The right side lever will be more difficult, for it has 2 cables that attach to it with a bolt and bracket. I may end up going the bicycle lever and perch route for both sides.

TimG

TimG

OLD SKOOL
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2018
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R LV
OK Honda SxS members- I am looking for help finding mini quad parts, specifically brake levers for my son's Eton Impulse 50cc. This is a great machine that is a hand-me-down so I know the history of it clear back to 2012 (2000 model). Anyway- my issue is this thing is mini quad all the way except for the handle bars and controls - adult size! My boy can stretch out his fingers from the had grips and is still short over an inch of reaching the brake levers. So I want to find some new ones with a bend that gets them closer to the grips as well as a little shorter in length to fit his hands.

What I've tried:
1) bending the stock ones - nope, started to fatigue the pot-metal. Tried some heat- just about warm enough and "pop" the thing just blew apart!
2) ordered from adjustable levers - the base of these where the brake cable attaches is at the completely wrong angle and put the levers even further away from the grips.
3) ordered a bunch of different Parts Unlimited $5 levers - have one that might work but it is 2 inches longer that the end of the hand grip.

I thought that I read on-line years ago that bicycle levers would work? Been trying to find a bike shop that carries levers to compare.

So I am turning to the members of this forum for advise / help since all the ATV specific forums I use to go to are all but shut-down. I figure some of you must have come from other forums or just moved-on from ATV's to SxS. Let me know anything, even a small lead. Google and MSM search gets me nothing but adds from Amazon and Ebay.
I have never been to this guys shop but he has dealt in chinese atv's for a long time. I didn't see a website listed but he is on f-book,google Jerry's Scooters Corydon,Indiana. He may be able to help you with parts.

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks Tim G! I do not spend much time at all on FB- so I have no idea what all shops are doing business through FB. I'll see about looking Jerry up.