loosing power at sustained speed

M

mikeyd123

Aug 3, 2014
Picked up the pioneer 500 last week, wasn’t too hard on it the first week.
Broke the 100 mile mark and did the first oil and filter change.
Now that I did that I wanted to "push" the throttle a little more.
What I noticed is - at sustained speed (seemed to be at the 40mph mark) the machine would occasionally drop speed and seem to be loosing power.
If I gave it a little more throttle it would go but a little hesitation.
Has anyone had their machine long enough to experience this?
I wonder if it’s a fuel quality problem, darned 10% ethanol.
I can’t imagine it has anything to do with the oil change, I used the 10/30 (not energy conserving etc) type the manual calls for. It’s not shifting odd or slipping at all. Just dropping power some at the higher end of the top speed.
Any help or thoughts are welcome.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Mikeyd, what you are talking about.. is this the limiter you are experiencing? Or is it different.
Haven't road a 500 yet. But on the 700 it does something like this to stop it from over reving. I'm sure the 500 has that same functionality built in.

Otherwise only thing I can think of is....
Not enough air getting pulled in.
Or I had this happen when I overfilled the oil on my Rubicon.

adnoh

adnoh

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2013
I think your hitting the rev limiter

M

mikeyd123

Aug 3, 2014
Thanks to you both for the quick response, now that you mention it that makes sense.
After I posted the first question I took it for another ride, with a more gradual acceleration I couldn’t recreate the condition.
I won’t call it an issue or problem because it seems it is by design.
In any case, I'm really liking the pioneer 500, lots of fun and enough speed to get you in trouble :lol:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!