P500 Pioneer 500 loud shifting at slow speed

E

EmanonPA

Jul 27, 2020
annville PA
Ownership

1. 500
Hello All,
Im sure you've seen this 100 times but...2018 500, only 450 miles on it. Shifts like butter at higher speeds. At cruising at low speed, the clanking sound when shifting up and down is ridiculous. I dont think I could sell it, its so bad. Its been to the dealership and basically I got.."They all do that". Its not acceptable. Its still under warranty. I dont understand how it can shift so perfectly when you jump on it and feel like its falling apart at low speeds. Auto or paddle shifting makes little difference.

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
Agree, they all do it. you can adjust clutch and maybe help a little but pretty much what they do. Just ride it.

Reactions: trigger
Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
E

EmanonPA

Jul 27, 2020
annville PA
Ownership

1. 500
^^^Exactly this^^^ Sounds harsh but you're not hurting it, bang away it's a Honda. It'll smooth out with some time.
Tough pill to swallow but I get it. Ill just have to direct any potential buyer here for confidence in buying it.
Thanks for the quick replies.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Adjust the clutch. You may have to fine tune it.
Run synthetic oil.
It will be worse in 4wd. Stay in 2 until you need 4.

It's possible to shift the 500 smoothly at lower speeds/more casual riding, but it is dependent on having complete control over shifting, so I don't know if it could ever be done in auto.

You will have to experiment with timing, etc on this, but...
Upshifting: About the time you pull the paddle, let out of the throttle some (about 1/2 way out of whatever throttle input you have is typical).

Downshifting is tougher: seems like waiting to the "bottom" of each gear and keeping near neutral throttle is the key.
It can be done (in manual, anyway), but it takes practice.

And FWIW...yes, the 500 is a noisy shifting machine most of the time if you don't "ride around it", but that clutch adjustment is critical.

Reactions: Splorin and Mudder
E

EmanonPA

Jul 27, 2020
annville PA
Ownership

1. 500
Great. May take it to a diff dealer. Still under a 4 yr warranty so I wouldn't want to void it by messing with it. All of this info helps. Thank you

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
I also notice that it shifts smoother when you stay in the throttle. Just rode mine a few moments ago. If riding lazily and shifting it is clunky, if i stay in throttle much smoother, keeps gears from getting slack in them i guess. Mine is manual only.

E

EmanonPA

Jul 27, 2020
annville PA
Ownership

1. 500
Yep..thats the thing. Slower you go the more clank you get..jump on it and it couldn't shift smoother.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I also notice that it shifts smoother when you stay in the throttle. Just rode mine a few moments ago. If riding lazily and shifting it is clunky, if i stay in throttle much smoother, keeps gears from getting slack in them i guess. Mine is manual only.
Yes. If you're accelerating at a decent amount of throttle and wind it up a bit, staying in it is about as smooth as you could ask for, but casual riding is just not as smooth. It's like you said: it's all about taking up/releasing the slop in the drivetrain.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!