P1000 Low range F$&ked

PropsR4Boats

PropsR4Boats

Sep 10, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok I’ll try to make this short. I bought a 2017 p100-5 early fall 2020. It had about 250km on it. I Had a clutch issue right way. Clutch upgrade had not been done. Honda was good enough to fix it even tho that program had expired.
When I brought the machine home from that repair. I took it for a spin up the road in high. Everything ran great. When I put it in low there was a BIG BANG from the transmission. However it seemed to work ok. I called Honda dealer, they said monitor it for a bit let’s see what happens. Fast forward to today. I hooked up a trailer and in low it was making lots of bad noises. (Video added).
I have done a bunch of reading about transmission problems on here but nothing very recent. Any ideas? I have factory extended warranty till October ‘21. This should be covered correct?
Thanks for the input.

Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I fell so techie now :) my first YouTube video. I have a longer version ill try to get it up as well, if this one works.

Sounds like the low gear dogs are worn in the subtransmission. Mine would bang like that and was the culprit. Upgrade to the lower talon reverse gears while you are in there.

Hondoman

Hondoman

Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Would this be normal with only 700km on it? should warranty fix this?
Mine did it around 600 miles. The cause seems to be the shifter cable out of adjustment, not allowing for full engagement into low. Mine would "creep" into low at times. I can't answer whether warranty would cover it or not because mine was beyond the coverage period. I did the labor myself, it's not a bad job but you will need to remove the subtransmission. I did mine last year while parts were scarce due to Covid-19. It took a few months to receive all the parts then, may be better now though.

Upgrading to the lower talon gears is not much more money and makes a noticable difference. Hopefully a lower low gear set will become available. The oem low is not low enough for my tastes. High gear is just right in my opinion.

Reactions: Lady01 and TripleB
PropsR4Boats

PropsR4Boats

Sep 10, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine did it around 600 miles. The cause seems to be the shifter cable out of adjustment, not allowing for full engagement into low. Mine would "creep" into low at times. I can't answer whether warranty would cover it or not because mine was beyond the coverage period. I did the labor myself, it's not a bad job but you will need to remove the subtransmission. I did mine last year while parts were scarce due to Covid-19. It took a few months to receive all the parts then, may be better now though.

Upgrading to the lower talon gears is not much more money and makes a noticable difference. Hopefully a lower low gear set will become available. The oem low is not low enough for my tastes. High gear is just right in my opinion.
Thanks I will be taking it to the dealer on Monday morning. It just seem strange to me that this started happening after they fixed the clutches...

advertisement
Hondoman

Hondoman

Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks I will be taking it to the dealer on Monday morning. It just seem strange to me that this started happening after they fixed the clutches...
It may be possible that a cable adjustment could fix it. Mine was too far gone.

Reactions: Lady01 and TripleB
B

BeOffGrid

Apr 9, 2020
Reno, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've had a 2019 1000-5 for just over a year. I bought it brand new. It overheated a couple months after I bought it during it's first good outing and I had the transmission torn down under warranty to fix a damaged low and reverse gear shortly after. The technician tore the transmission apart twice before fixing it. I'm not sure it was fixed or maybe these machines are poorly designed because I started having low gear issues a month ago and last weekend it's shot again.

I've seen on this forum that people are mentioning the shifting cable adjustment, ensuring oil levels are just right, modifying the shifting gate so that you can engage low gear easier instead of banging on it like I've had to do, driving in high gear if its cold before shifting to low in order to warm up the sub transmission, and other hacks, just to get the machine to drive properly. This is all utterly ridiculous. I can't believe people put up with this for such an expensive machine.

I spent money and time installing the roof, glass windshield, wiper, soft doors, winch, electrical fuse box and more so I was hoping it would last after the first repair. Following the directions for all of the accessories was an exercise in patience itself. This was my first side by side so I don't know how installing the accessories compares to other brands, but the procedures felt pretty hacky and the instructions lackluster.

I'm getting it repaired, selling it and replacing it with a different company. I have other Honda products and love them, but the Pioneer 1000-5 doesn't meet the bar by far. Maybe it's because I've used it with tracks, or running it between 6000'-7000' in the winter, or plowing snow. All of these are expected applications for a side by side utility vehicle in my estimation. I expect it to perform better than a golf cart.

The machine has 96.6 hours, 177 miles.

Reactions: Lady01
PropsR4Boats

PropsR4Boats

Sep 10, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've had a 2019 1000-5 for just over a year. I bought it brand new. It overheated a couple months after I bought it during it's first good outing and I had the transmission torn down under warranty to fix a damaged low and reverse gear shortly after. The technician tore the transmission apart twice before fixing it. I'm not sure it was fixed or maybe these machines are poorly designed because I started having low gear issues a month ago and last weekend it's shot again.

I've seen on this forum that people are mentioning the shifting cable adjustment, ensuring oil levels are just right, modifying the shifting gate so that you can engage low gear easier instead of banging on it like I've had to do, driving in high gear if its cold before shifting to low in order to warm up the sub transmission, and other hacks, just to get the machine to drive properly. This is all utterly ridiculous. I can't believe people put up with this for such an expensive machine.

I spent money and time installing the roof, glass windshield, wiper, soft doors, winch, electrical fuse box and more so I was hoping it would last after the first repair. Following the directions for all of the accessories was an exercise in patience itself. This was my first side by side so I don't know how installing the accessories compares to other brands, but the procedures felt pretty hacky and the instructions lackluster.

I'm getting it repaired, selling it and replacing it with a different company. I have other Honda products and love them, but the Pioneer 1000-5 doesn't meet the bar by far. Maybe it's because I've used it with tracks, or running it between 6000'-7000' in the winter, or plowing snow. All of these are expected applications for a side by side utility vehicle in my estimation. I expect it to perform better than a golf cart.

The machine has 96.6 hours, 177 miles.
I’ve got to say I don’t disagree with you. I have tried most of the sub trans hacks. I took a bit of oil out, I added in some Lucas treatment. I always make sure it says L on the display. However I can not always run in high Until it gets warm. I do live in Canada and there is lots of snow this year. I might mention I have never used it to plow snow.

I sure hope this issue gets dealt with. Or I’ll be looking for something else as well. I sure do like the flip up back seats tho.....

Reactions: Lady01

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!