P1000 Shifting to low range

P

patpete

Apr 8, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-3
We’ve got a 2016 1000-3 it been giving fit going into low range. Adjusted to manual specs, tight closer to reverse, tight closer to high. When shifted into low it grinds(2-6 sec) then clunks into gear. Drained sub-trans oil and found very small amount of metal. any ideas

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just from reading here, not from any actual experience:

The 2-6 second grinding thing sounds ominously like dogs are worn or shifting fork bent. The clunk into gear ain't so good either, as each time that happens, metal is striking metal in the tranny.

Have you seen this video on adjusting the cables? I found it helpful.

shift cable adjustment

I also found it helpful to lift the rear wheels off the ground when adjusting the rear dif etc. Use the "index marks" as a starting "rough guide" as it doesn't take but a slight difference in a cable length to skew that.

DAV11

DAV11

Supporting Member
Dec 12, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you are in a cold climate use the 0w30 weight oil. It helps.

20210126 152235

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Whatever you do, exhaust all of your possibilities to fix it asap.

Every time it clicks and grinds, the damage is progressive and irreversible, so don't put it off.

Ultimately, this leads to replacement of parts inside the subtrans. It's not the end of the world, but something you'd like to prevent if you can.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does your Pioneer creep in gear
More info on this, please...

I was reading that Delton's clutches started "dragging" making it harder to get into gear. Makes sense if your vehicle is creeping.

But what causes clutches to become engaged too early with age? Seems like they get looser with time...

Reactions: Lady01 and Biteme
H

HondaTech

More info on this, please...

I was reading that Delton's clutches started "dragging" making it harder to get into gear. Makes sense if your vehicle is creeping.

But what causes clutches to become engaged too early with age? Seems like they get looser with time...

The clutches get "stuck" for whatever reason. Im not sure what causes the issue, but i routinely do a clutch relearn with every service and that seems to take care of creeping issues.

OPs unit may have the original clutch cover in it which could cause the clutches to overheat, burn and exacerbate the issue.

Creeping in gear when at high (cold) idle will happen, but once it drops to normal idle then the symptom should go away.

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
A question about warming the transmission.
Ok, right now it is -5 deg. F, 12:21am Northern Iowa, no garage.
If I were to go out and start my Honda 1000.
Is it better to let it warm up in park, or in neutral?
Am I? NO! it's to damn cold out there. Haha
But if I needed to, which would warm the transmission faster or better?
Thanks,
Have a good day

Reactions: Lady01 and Biteme
DAV11

DAV11

Supporting Member
Dec 12, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A question about warming the transmission.
Ok, right now it is -5 deg. F, 12:21am Northern Iowa, no garage.
If I were to go out and start my Honda 1000.
Is it better to let it warm up in park, or in neutral?
Am I? NO! it's to damn cold out there. Haha
But if I needed to, which would warm the transmission faster or better?
Thanks,
Have a good day

-5? For that temperature my service manual says use an oxy-acetylene torch with rose-bud tip to warm the tranny. Or just stay inside in front of the fireplace.
I thought the -34F from a couple years was cold, but we were -36F last week when I got up. We put on our big coats when it gets like this.

20190130 081737

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like that it's a toasty 58 degrees inside. :)

DAV11

DAV11

Supporting Member
Dec 12, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, you put on your big coat and stay in the house, right? Watching "Fargo" was enough of an eye-opener on Minnesota cold for me! :)
More like stay in the heated ice fishing pop up.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!