Talon Lower Ball Joint Boot Replacement

B

bbtank45

Sep 19, 2019
Hamilton, OH
Ownership

1. Talon R
My brother and i bought talons back in September. He was unlucky enough to get a leaking front axle seal....Instead of coordinating and waiting on a dealer to free up, he replaced the seal himself. In the process of replacing, he put a sizable tear in the lower ball joint boot. Is there any recommendation on a fix w/o replacing the whole ball joint? It is what it is, just trying to save from replacing a part that has less than 200 miles on it.

Thanks HondaSxs.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Some units you could order just the boot. But it does not look like you can for the Talon.

Not sure you can do this without damage. But could order a new one and swirch out the boots. But chance of damaging the second one is fairly high.

Best just to replace it. I would make it a winter project. It's not going to wear out between now.

B

bbtank45

Sep 19, 2019
Hamilton, OH
Ownership

1. Talon R
Some units you could order just the boot. But it does not look like you can for the Talon.

Not sure you can do this without damage. But could order a new one and swirch out the boots. But chance of damaging the second one is fairly high.

Best just to replace it. I would make it a winter project. It's not going to wear out between now.

I think you're right....run it for a bit and replace it later. Any opinions on the SuperATV greaseable vs the Honda factory ball joints?

Cyberjunk

Cyberjunk

Berserker
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2017
Crane Hill Alabama
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-4

Last takeover I popped a lower ball joint on my 700 out of the A arm on a 90 mile trip. The joint lodged in the arm so I was able to continue till I got back to camp . Now I had a wallered joint and arm , next morning I had it welded in needless to say the boot was gone . Rode the next three days like this and a couple more rides before I got around to replacing it. That being said don’t worry about the boot being gone , ya it is going to wear out quicker but not going to fail as fast as you think. Buy a new one and replace at your leisure .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mudwing
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Clean the torn area REAL good and apply Shoe Gue . Haven't done it but on this forum under Pioneer 500 , someone did it and said it was still good after a LONG time .

H

HondaTech

Not to hijack your thread but I see your in Hamilton, OH.

Did you try contacting us @ Honda of Fairfield about the leaking axle seals? We've done several and had Honda pay for them all so far.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!