Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I've been shopping around for another LED light bar. Is it safe to assume that the "lumen" number is the one that deserves the most consideration? The higher the lumen number, the brighter the light is as I understand it. I found a 27" bar rated for only slightly more than 2000 lumens and a 12" bar rated at around 6500 lumens. Kinda weird to me that the smaller one has more light output but I guess not all light bars are created equal. What have you all learned from the lights you have bought? What should I pay attention to when selecting a new light bar? Thanks.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been shopping around for another LED light bar. Is it safe to assume that the "lumen" number is the one that deserves the most consideration? The higher the lumen number, the brighter the light is as I understand it. I found a 27" bar rated for only slightly more than 2000 lumens and a 12" bar rated at around 6500 lumens. Kinda weird to me that the smaller one has more light output but I guess not all light bars are created equal. What have you all learned from the lights you have bought? What should I pay attention to when selecting a new light bar? Thanks.

Watts measure the amount of energy required to light products, whereas lumens measure the amount of light produced. The more lumens in a light bulb, the brighter the light.

Pay attention to these things
- the length of the bar - how much wide you want your light to be spread, but some bars has specific direction of the light - flood vs beam (see description, when u buy)

- lumens - more lumens more light

- watts - energy consumption - bigger number not always gives higher lumens and it depends on type LED vs incandescent and etc.

exp: 13 watts LED = 75W incandescent with same amount of lumens.

One more thing, try to ask around on forum to post pics of their light bars on at night and compare which one you like. VERDICT :))) : Lumens let you buy the amount of light you want. So when buying your new bulbs, think lumens, not watts.

One more thing, try to ask around on forum to post pics of their light bars on at night and compare which one you like and can afford.

Reactions: ohanacreek
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

The 30" TUSK Light bar I have on mine is 16,200 Lumen for $249 I'm pretty sure there is a link to it in my build thread.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Watts measure the amount of energy required to light products, whereas lumens measure the amount of light produced. The more lumens in a light bulb, the brighter the light.

Pay attention to these things
- the length of the bar - how much wide you want your light to be spread, but some bars has specific direction of the light - flood vs beam (see description, when u buy)

- lumens - more lumens more light

- watts - energy consumption - bigger number not always gives higher lumens and it depends on type LED vs incandescent and etc.

exp: 13 watts LED = 75W incandescent with same amount of lumens.

One more thing, try to ask around on forum to post pics of their light bars on at night and compare which one you like. VERDICT :))) : Lumens let you buy the amount of light you want. So when buying your new bulbs, think lumens, not watts.

One more thing, try to ask around on forum to post pics of their light bars on at night and compare which one you like and can afford.
Thank you for the info! That's amazing how fewer watts LED's use than incandescent. Now it's all making sense

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thanks for the links. As a matter of fact that 12" tusk light is the one I'm leaning towards. Seems like a good balance of price and performance. What is your opinion of Tusk's quality?

Well It looks mighty impressive all machine aluminum housing and mount, 30" is BRIGHT as H3LL. For the money I am very happy with it.

20150912 132104 zpscmeqmmhe

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
The more lumens you have ,the more you will impress the people riding in front of you and coming at you.LOL

Reactions: bobbyhill
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
The more lumens you have ,the more you will impress the people riding in front of you and coming at you.LOL
Most of my riding is solo or in the front. I am blind as a bat and need all the help I can get. If I'm with a group, probably wouldn't run them with everyone else having lights on.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
EBay has grate deals. Remember not too go bigger than the charging system.
When I'm plowing(using the winch ) I run a 12" and four 4s. I have to keep an eye on the volts gage.

Reactions: Tflynn
advertisement
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Does anyone have info or opinion on quality? Price varies from a couple hundred to nearly $1000.

Now, in some cases "you get what you pay for". In other cases "you don't need to spend a fortune".

I'd hate to blow hundreds of $$ and have this light go out in less than a year.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Does anyone have info or opinion on quality? Price varies from a couple hundred to nearly $1000.

Now, in some cases "you get what you pay for". In other cases "you don't need to spend a fortune".

I'd hate to blow hundreds of $$ and have this light go out in less than a year.

I don't own a Rigid but they are the best IMO. I attached a torture test.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I own a KC brand for my truck and like it. I also have a $50 Amazon cheapy for the pioneer and it works good too but I had to seal it from water. It turned foggy the first day I got it.

Joe

Tim2

Tim2

Sep 18, 2015
Franklinton, N.C.

I put this on my P500 am I am very pleased with it. (I mounted it to my Strong made bumper.)
510ZIe5F9wL SY90
Kohree 12" 72W 7200lm Cree Spot Flood Combo Beam Led Work Light Bar for Off-road SUV Boat 4x4 Jeep Lamp 4wd
Sold by: Kohree
$65.98

41WDM1byzQL SY90
STV Motorsports® Laser Blue Rocker Switch BUMPER LIGHT 20A 12V On/off LED Light
Sold by: STVMOTORSPORTS
$12.99

51YN7ESAtzL SY90 2
2 of LAMPHUS Cruizer Horizontal Bar Clamp Mounting Kit 1"/ 1.5"/ 1.75" (Includes 1 clamp)
Sold by: OnlineLEDStore
$11.99

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
We've bought nearly everything on eBay and have had great luck. We bought our 420w led bar in eBay its around 45k lumans was a$160 and gets beat up very bad as we are not the dirt road type we do a lot of single track in the 700 tree big tree branches even survived a complete roll over. Look for in order Cree Phillips then Epistar. As long as the LEDs are one of those especially Cree feel fairly safe. All the aftermarket housings are very close in quality and keep in mind you can buy 5 times as many eBay lights as in most stores for same money if something did fail(however you won't need too) your light will usually outlast your rig yes even a Honda!

Last edited:
J

jay dawge

Oct 6, 2015
I put this on my P500 am I am very pleased with it. (I mounted it to my Strong made bumper.)
510ZIe5F9wL SY90
Kohree 12" 72W 7200lm Cree Spot Flood Combo Beam Led Work Light Bar for Off-road SUV Boat 4x4 Jeep Lamp 4wd
Sold by: Kohree
$65.98

41WDM1byzQL SY90
STV Motorsports® Laser Blue Rocker Switch BUMPER LIGHT 20A 12V On/off LED Light
Sold by: STVMOTORSPORTS
$12.99

51YN7ESAtzL SY90 2
2 of LAMPHUS Cruizer Horizontal Bar Clamp Mounting Kit 1"/ 1.5"/ 1.75" (Includes 1 clamp)
Sold by: OnlineLEDStore
$11.99
Do you have any photos of the light bar setup? I have the strong made bumper and I am considering putting a light bar on it, also did you use the honda wiring harness and sub harness?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I didn't use the Honda setup because it's only 4channels and two are dedicated 1 is wiper and one is heater. It has enough juice but I've got 9 channels and for the money(however not near as easy) you can get a better setup. I have a dedicated battery for accessories with a double relay so you can either run key or separate switch with a battery isolater. The Honda system will not really allow for that. Plus the switches I have are double illumination so the switch lights up with headlights then changes color for "on". Pics will follow

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!