Made my own windshield

zrxrob

zrxrob

Sep 5, 2014
Ae5ef6f85ed3d01b0081b1e725567d14
Took a 48"x29" piece of 1/4" lexan and after about 30 times putting it on and taking it off for trimming I finally finished.drilled and tapped 3 holes per side, used 1/4" foam gasket, and 6 stainless steel tapered bolts and it's on hard to get a pic of a windshield but I tried

TandT

TandT

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2013
Newark, Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-4
Did you drill into your roll bar, and if so make sure you put some paint around the holes to keep them from rusting. Maybe even put some paint on the screw threads.

zrxrob

zrxrob

Sep 5, 2014
Yes I drilled and tapped into the roll bar.there's sealer around the bolts and they're stainless steel

hurld

hurld

Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2014
You might want to add a gasket on the bottom. I have the factory windshield & had to silicon it as even with the factory bottom gasket it leaked really bad on the bottom with the water running down the dash & onto my legs. Like a waterfall in heavy rain.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
hurld said:
You might want to add a gasket on the bottom. I have the factory windshield & had to silicon it as even with the factory bottom gasket it leaked really bad on the bottom with the water running down the dash & onto my legs. Like a waterfall in heavy rain.

Yeah the factory fit for the cab pieces could have been a LOT BETTER.

zrxrob

zrxrob

Sep 5, 2014
I'm still fine tuning it but definitely going to seal it up better.I just couldn't see spending $500+ when I'm capable of making my own for 1/10th the price

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had the hardcoat on my Valkyrie. It was scratched BAD just from dust and bugs at 75 so I wanted glass with a wiper. I'm good but not that good, and it fits, but the weather seal could be a lot better.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
an old race car trick. when making windshields paint the inside where the gasket goes and across the bottom . it will look factory. looks good and you can buy a lot of those for the price of Hondas.

zrxrob

zrxrob

Sep 5, 2014
spifyd said:
an old race car trick. when making windshields paint the inside where the gasket goes and across the bottom . it will look factory. looks good and you can buy a lot of those for the price of Hondas.
Actually planned on doing that paint trick this weekend.Thank you

S

sksshooter

Oct 24, 2013
ohana so you are saying that the Honda glass windshield doesn't seal well at the bottom? does it leak water in when riding in the rain?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
sksshooter said:
ohana so you are saying that the Honda glass windshield doesn't seal well at the bottom? does it leak water in when riding in the rain?

There are a few small gaps ⅛" or less I bought black rubber weatherstripping at lowes and fixed it. As well as sealing the gaps around the hard doors.

Took an old inner tube and cut sheets to cover the large holes Honda left for nets, bolts and such.

Then used pipe insulation(doesn't absorb and retain water) to fill in the BIG gaps around the seat belt bolts and other assorted holes around the seat base.

I did all this not for heat loss but to prevent dust intrusion. Dust was POURING in. It was in the 30s and I was toasty with just a jacket.

D

don70

Apr 11, 2016
Georgia
Ae5ef6f85ed3d01b0081b1e725567d14
Took a 48"x29" piece of 1/4" lexan and after about 30 times putting it on and taking it off for trimming I finally finished.drilled and tapped 3 holes per side, used 1/4" foam gasket, and 6 stainless steel tapered bolts and it's on hard to get a pic of a windshield but I tried
Looks good. I'm with you. Lexan, aluminum angle, aluminum 1" flat strips, caulk adhesive to make windshield and attached with plastic ties.

IMG 20131117 164238

Test - Grid

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!