BOX1

P500 Make oil changes easy!

L

lukebuz

Jun 22, 2020
Bowling Green, KY
Ownership

1. 500
Mark another one done. Pulled the tray and flipped it upside down and dremeled it for a clean cut. 11 clips and 3 screws? Come'on Honda. You put a flap for checking the oil. You couldn't for changing it?
20200622 182756

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
Getting ready for my first oil change/service...wondering if anyone has done this mod on the 520 yet? I'm assuming its going to be the same, but just want to make sure I'm doing it right if I decide to do some chopping....

B

Bomersteve35

Jan 9, 2021
Portland or
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
I like the idea of an opening but it's nice to take the cover off and realy clean the area as I find its a hard spot to clean well. There is no way to get back in that area by the gas tank it's nice to clean it and inspect stuff while the cover is off I may put in some riv-nuts in the push pin holes and use bolts.

Reactions: Mudder and Morpheus
rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
Well, ended up changing the oil with GN4 10w30 and the front/rear diffs with Royal Purple 75/140. Oil came out very clean, as expected, and I honestly can't imagine paying a dealer to do it (I would like to know how to check the valves myself though). I don't think I'm going to cut the access hole for future oil changes...it really didn't take very long to remove the pins/screws/panel/electrical plugs. Pretty sure next time it'll be about 15-20 mins from start to finish.

G

GreatNorth

May 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 520
Yeah, I found the oil change pretty straightforward too. Put a bit of copper anti-seize on the screws that hold the plastic down so they should come out easier next time (a couple were pretty tight). I still need to do the diffs, but now wish I had 75/140 instead of 80/90!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!