P1000 Mesh or plastic rear window?

Stateboy

Stateboy

Lifetime Member
Apr 5, 2021
Wolverine, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Today was install day. 2 foot high, 4 foot 5 inches wide with reinforce strap and grommets. Special request to leave grommets off the bottom edge. Installed with 6 inch bungees.

View attachment 267552 View attachment 267553 View attachment 267554 View attachment 267555 View attachment 267556 View attachment 267557 View attachment 267558 View attachment 267559
Do you think a 2'2" or 2'3" high dimension would have helped make up for the gap at the bottom the upper bungees created?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lady01 and toddvdh
Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you think a 2'2" or 2'3" high dimension would have helped make up for the gap at the bottom the upper bungees created?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Yes, as the bugees pull the top completely to the upper bar, I would have to add to the overall height to close the lower gap. I would have to add however many inches my lower gap is to close it. If my lower gap is, I'm guessing, 4 inches, I may add 3 inches to the height and with 2'3" it would be just above the tailgate.

If someone does not want the gap at the bottom the size of mine, just add a few to the height. I can measure the gap on mine if anyone is wanting an exact number.

Good Point! 👍

Reactions: Lady01
Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also, I tested the dump bed with this installed, it makes contact very soon and will not lift up. The screen needs to be removed or at least undo the bottom few bungees to have the bed lift.

Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Soooo, my friend with a CF Moto ordered a clear vinyl tarp (window) from Coversandall, and he had them add the CF Moto logo for the additional $10. He mounted this to his machine as a back window, right behind the cab between the occupants and the cargo bed. This worked great for him so I thought, for the reasonable price, I will try one as well.

I placed my order which I made slightly larger than my rear mesh screen which is 4 foot 5 inches wide, and 2 feet high with reinforced border and grommets at 6 inches, deleting them from the bottom row except corners.

This new order, I went a tad wider as jsodep5338 did at 4 foot 7 inches, and 2 feet 2 inches high. I added the reinforced border and grommets at 6 inches, then added a Honda wing logo in black and red. I had an email for %22 off my order so it came up to about $37.

I am intending on putting this behind the cab which will stop all wind coming from behind my head as I move forward. This will be a divider from the front and rear occupants, but is easy to remove for a group ride. While alone, I will have it there with the Honda logo facing rearward, should look pretty good. I left the grommets around the entire perimeter so I have options to secure the bottom in the forward position attaching to the grab handles on the front of the bed.

My second thought was to put this new one on the far back ROPS bars and put the mesh one in the middle, so talking to back seat passengers is possible, and they are protected from the rear wind and dust. I will play with both ides to see which works best.

Pic of the mockup is included and I will update once it comes in.

Final draft of clear tarp

Last edited:
Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After a long battle with FedEx, I received my order from Coversandall after it had made a couple journeys form Georgia to Wisconsin and back.

I installed it behind the driver seat and my "supervisor" said she liked it better on the rear of the machine because if we have anyone in the backseat, it has to come down to talk. I agreed, but those times were going to be fewer as it's mostly just us in the front. So, the mesh screen I have been running was moved to the middle, and the clear new one put in back. I drove it that night for about an hour and was surprised I could still feel a decent draft coming in behind my head. I didn't seem to like this set up either, so I took out the mesh altogether. I will run the clear window in the rear for a while and see what it does. I am afraid it will act like a sail and catch wind, slowing my speeds or affecting gas mileage. But it looks great!

IMG 0230 IMG 0231

Last edited:
Reactions: Farmer and Lady01
Soaz1000

Soaz1000

Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2018
Soaz
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Wellzy also have the mesh, but I'm very curious to see how your plastic one will control dust? I know it won't completely eliminate the dust problem. If it helps it would be an affordable option. Thanks

Reactions: Wellzy and Lady01
Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My idea was, put the plastic right behind the front seat, no "backdraft" wind would come in at the back of my head. There is a fitment issue as well. The plastic window does not sit flat against the v shaped rops bars, as the front seat center seatbelt sticks way back. The window bulges out at that point next to the passenger headrest. I was hoping it would be a flat window, it fits better in the rear but I'm going to see how it works to keep wind off me.

Soaz1000

Soaz1000

Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2018
Soaz
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My idea was, put the plastic right behind the front seat, no "backdraft" wind would come in at the back of my head. There is a fitment issue as well. The plastic window does not sit flat against the v shaped rops bars, as the front seat center seatbelt sticks way back. The window bulges out at that point next to the passenger headrest. I was hoping it would be a flat window, it fits better in the rear but I'm going to see how it works to keep wind off me.
Thanks, if you don't mind let us know how it's working out. If it cuts any of the dust down it will be a plus.

Reactions: Lady01 and Wellzy
A

arrowsender

Jun 1, 2021
Southern IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I wanted to try a mesh panel to reduce dust but I didn't want to ramble $100 on it might help. My 1000-5 has a UTV windshield, tusk roof and Honda Mid-panel. With the kids in the back and the mid panel open the dust can be bad.

I was fortune to have everything for a diy mesh panel on hand: mesh, harbor freight grommet kit, shock cord and wiring conduct. I zip-tied it to the top and used the diy bungees on the side. When not in use, I roll it up and bungee it to the roll bar. It turned out good but I haven't had a chance to try it out.

IMG 20220508 215650137 IMG 20220508 215450435 IMG 20220508 215741622

Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I wanted to try a mesh panel to reduce dust but I didn't want to ramble $100 on it might help. My 1000-5 has a UTV windshield, tusk roof and Honda Mid-panel. With the kids in the back and the mid panel open the dust can be bad.

I was fortune to have everything for a diy mesh panel on hand: mesh, harbor freight grommet kit, shock cord and wiring conduct. I zip-tied it to the top and used the diy bungees on the side. When not in use, I roll it up and bungee it to the roll bar. It turned out good but I haven't had a chance to try it out.

View attachment 333309 View attachment 333310 View attachment 333311
You got the idea, this is more or less what we have had Coversandall make for us. This last clear one, with the Honda logo and shipping was $36, so if we get it wrong, it's not that much of a loss. But this is even less, good job! The windshield does its job but I am still surprised how much the back of my head gets blown on from behind as I go down the road without a rear panel. Hopefully this helps you.

Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was able to go for a ride and the plastic rear window does seem to cut down on the rearward wind. I had my daughter and her friend in the backseat. During the country road portion, the cab did seem more still regarding airflow. Once we came into town and slowed down, I asked my daughter if the lack of airflow made the backseat heat stronger. She said it did, the heat from the floor/engine didn't get out and it was a bit stuffy back there. I'm thinking this, I will run the plastic window in Spring and Fall when temps drop, and I don't want the cold air coming onto the back of my noggin. I took it off and now am running the mesh on the rear as I normally had been doing. I agree, the rear mesh does cut down a percentage of dust, but I DO like the airflow it allows to keep temps down.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!