P1000 MICE! Help me fix this mice attack... UPDATE IN OP!

T

thirdparty

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2018
USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
UPDATE: Is this the correct switch and connector for the AT/MT? Looks like it. If that's what it takes to replace, I'll just buy a new one.

Look at #5 "Switch Assembly Mode Change"

Here are some pics of my 2018 P1000-5 LE. The damage was done right under the where the windshield meets the hood. Can anyone identify what that plug is for?

Luckily, it's only one plug that was chewed, nothing else was touched that I can see...

What is this plug? Nothing is wrong with the machine, it cools, runs fine, fan kicks on, etc.

How do I fix it, except to just rewire it and stick them back in if I have enough slack.

Also, HOW DO I PREVENT THIS IN THE FUTURE? I heard of some stuff you can buy at Tractor Supply that you can put under the hood to keep the mice out.

Does this work? Tricks? Tips? Help!

Thanks in advance

IMG 20200905 105125

IMG 20200905 105117

IMG 20200905 105120

Last edited:
Reactions: Isaiah
H

HondaSXS1343

Aug 15, 2020
US
If you can ID the connector / pins, they probably make an extraction tool for the pins. Might be some sort of marking on the side of the connector that would help, just a thought. Most of the extraction tool are pretty inexpensive, the more expensive thing usually is finding a tool to make a crimp onto the pins / sockets. Sorry man that sucks on the mice!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
There's a mouse trap that uses a 5 gallon bucket, a small ramp and peanut butter for bait. They crawl up the ramp and try to cross to the center of the bucket for the treat but that short piece (from the edge to center) is either a drop chute or a PVC tube that spins under their weight and they fall into the bucket that's conveniently filled with water, just deep enough for them to drown. Guys have reported catching dozens of the little f***ers a night. I think a Google search will show you the way. Once you get the population down, a baited bucket will last quite a while.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Fukin bastards. Wonder why they always like the battery terminal covers?

Last edited:
T

thirdparty

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2018
USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Probably because they use soybean oil instead of petrochemicals to make the wire sheaths/other insulators. It's a total mess, lots of class action lawsuits against the car makers. They all claim it's for the environment (which it probably benefits slightly, at least initially), but it's really just cheaper. Now anyone who has damage has to replace entire looms because of rodent damage, which means more parts sales for the makers, but also more damage to the environment just fixing it.

For comparison, I have a 1998 Foreman and have removed lots of mice nests out of it--not one wire has been chewed.

Reactions: 0860silverado
T

thirdparty

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2018
USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
That's is the AT/MT drive mode button wires.
Those pins are a PITA to get out.
Let me know if you need help.

I do need some help. What's the trick to getting the pins out? Can I just splice in new wire to what's left and call it good? Are those weatherpak connectors?

wrhii

wrhii

Lifetime Member
Feb 22, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here are some pics of my 2018 P1000-5 LE. The damage was done right under the where the windshield meets the hood. Can anyone identify what that plug is for?

Luckily, it's only one plug that was chewed, nothing else was touched that I can see...

What is this plug? Nothing is wrong with the machine, it cools, runs fine, fan kicks on, etc.

How do I fix it, except to just rewire it and stick them back in if I have enough slack.

Also, HOW DO I PREVENT THIS IN THE FUTURE? I heard of some stuff you can buy at Tractor Supply that you can put under the hood to keep the mice out.

Does this work? Tricks? Tips? Help!

Thanks in advance

View attachment 223085
View attachment 223086
View attachment 223087
Just had a Cat loader with one nesting it. She did just what she did here, cut the wires and ran off with the things. 3 to 4 inch pieces of wire gone. The weird part is that after splicing in a repair, she came back and cut the SAME wires again. We finally found some bait she would take, but in the mean time I left off all the covers and guards she was hiding behind. They don't like to be exposed. Honda seats and hoods off ect....... No problems after that and the bait.

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would cut the whole connector out and just use butt connectors. Add wire if needed... simple

Reactions: wrhii
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Luckey the femail end is eiser then the male.

Remove the inside retainer with a pic. Just pry it off.

Then look for small finger holding the pin in. Each one has one just below the pin.

Get a pair of vice grips and clamp the wire. This will act as a weight to pull the pin once you lift the finger.
Good luck.

I should have pins if you need some.
Or i can crimp with pigtails.
Just let me know.66831af45d5cd9f91c4ed5f5bf13636c309535e72d4c8f9ae3ea91681997726f

T

thirdparty

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2018
USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So, it looks like the damaged connector just goes straight to the AT/MT switch and plugs into the main wiring harness where the chewed connector is.

In other words, I would just need to replace the loom/switch cable from the actual rocker switch for the AT/MT to the main loom. It's only about a 12 in. long. Does anyone have any idea what this part is called? I can't find it on any of the parts diagrams.

Thanks!

T

thirdparty

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2018
USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Also, what are some online parts dealers for OEM parts? Partzilla, hondapartshouse.com?

T

thirdparty

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2018
USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Reactions: Haldog77
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ya. If you can get the switch out that is all you have to do really.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!