P500 Michigan Owners

R

RumpRocket

Dec 23, 2017
USA
Ownership

1. 500
Does any paper work need to be kept on the unit at all times, other than Stickers?.......for instance...insurance, registration or some proof of ownership?

Also....if you ever been stopped by law enforcement, what papers did you have to show them if any?

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Registration. ..belongs in the vehicle
....it belongs to...
Sticker number,..must
match the one on registration. .....
99 out of 100 times...I get a head nod....
but every once in awhile. ..they wanna check out
....my P5
Ive not rode Michigan. .
but the dozen states...I've ridin in
....same rule

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Does any paper work need to be kept on the unit at all times, other than Stickers?.......for instance...insurance, registration or some proof of ownership?

Also....if you ever been stopped by law enforcement, what papers did you have to show them if any?

I was pulled over in St. Helen for not coming to a complete stop at a four way by two county's in a Wildcat. Don't know how long he followed me, stereo was cranked! He asked for my license but I had left my wallet in the truck so he just asked my name and got on the radio. After shooting the sh** a couple minutes, I heard everything that came across and they knew everything about me.
Btw, I slowed to a crawl at that intersection and it was clear, he knew it too...no ticket. :)

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
@trigger , was that onroad or offroad? Wish I could ride on road around GA.

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
My guess....on road...
mentioned 4 way stop....
HaHa

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Horn & blinkers.....make it
...street legal?....
Windsheild wiper....

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
my OHV park has stop and speed limit signs...but seems to just be signs no one reads. Blinkers must be the most unused item in cars nowadays, except the brain behind the wheel.

Last edited:
Reactions: JWB
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

It was off road. Busy area, lots of trails, rock crawl and scramble area. We were there for the sand drags and mud bog. Didn't ride all day because we were at the event so went for a quick rip around before leaving, that's why I didn't have my wallet and license. Think they just wanted to show their presence so things didn't get stupid. ;)

Reactions: Mudder
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
No reg papers required in Mich.....we're not a communist state. All that is needed is an ORV sticker and a trail permit in certain areas if operating on state marked trails/routes. The DNR or Sheriff can verify ownership by calling in the VIN if they choose to. All dirtbikes, ATVs & UTVs are issued a title to be registered at the Secretary of State.

In most counties, at least in the Northern LP and all of the UP, ORVs can be legally driven on the side of the road, 25mph max speed.

TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
No reg papers required in Mich.....we're not a communist state. All that is needed is an ORV sticker and a trail permit in certain areas if operating on state marked trails/routes. The DNR or Sheriff can verify ownership by calling in the VIN if they choose to. All dirtbikes, ATVs & UTVs are issued a title to be registered at the Secretary of State.

In most counties, at least in the Northern LP and all of the UP, ORVs can be legally driven on the side of the road, 25mph max speed.
Did they increase the allowed speed on the side of the roads ? I thought it was just 20 MPH max.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Did they increase the allowed speed on the side of the roads ? I thought it was just 20 MPH max.

In general the speed limit is 25mph on the sides of public roads, there can be some sections that are lower....ie. through some towns, Newberry comes to mind, they set a 15mph limit on city streets. In 2008 the State of Michigan passed a law to allow counties to decide for themselves if they wanted to allow ORV's on public roads, it started with the UP then was amended a few times since to add counties in the LP. At the moment the northern half of the LP is open, there has been discussion to add the rest of the state but I do not know if it has passed yet. The rule of thumb used to be, in the UP it was open unless posted closed, in the LP it was closed unless posted open but as of Jan 2018 the state has opened another 6300 miles of forest roads in the northern LP. The links below should give you an idea of open areas.

"Public Act 240 of 2008 enabled counties and townships in Michigan to allow ORVs to travel upon roads under the their jurisdiction. Each has to enact an ordinance allowing for this, else their roads remain closed to ORVs. Subsequent legislation has granted this power to all counties within the State."

Here is the DNR site about ORV's, some good info
DNR - ORV/ATV Riding

This is the ORV ordinance for my county, most counties are similiar
https://www.mackinaccounty.net/wp-content/media/orv-ordinance.pdf
https://www.mackinaccounty.net/wp-content/media/orv-ordinance.pdf
VVmapping has a link to most county ordinances, they also sell maps & GPS software, I have it for my snowmobiles & P5, I highly recommend it.
MI County Road Info - VVMapping.com

luckymike

luckymike

Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2016
michigan
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks for the link 906UP. Unfortunately my place is in the heart of the national Forest so I need to stick to orv trails and county roads but the vwmaping showed a few more dirt roads I can ride that the feds don't own

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!