BOX1

P500 Mileage /Hours. ..on your pioneer 500....

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
I love my p500. Perfect size,perfect price,and a reliable proven motor. I have 5,500 miles on now and no problems. I have a foreman and don't use it much.

J

JTW

Could you elaborate?

My thinking is that a SxS is clearly more comfy BUT...i was coming from a solid axle/non PS old Foreman to a much bigger 700. People seem really divided on the 500. Is it really that bad?
I can’t really.. you’ll either love the 500 or hate it. I just found that it lacked both at being what I wanted on the smaller side of things and not quite big and stable enough on the other end of the spectrum. It’s a reliable system but not what was suited for my family. If you have kids and a wife that will want to go then the 500 it not the machine for you. If you want to run fast or extreme, then the 500 isn’t for you. If you want a crossover for STRICTLY you and a passenger and you don’t ride too hard, fast, extreme then it’s a good option. But I think there are better. I found that it just didn’t fit the way I expected it too. Some guys love it and have done a ton to make them better. But at what point are you sinking money into something that never fulfills your desires. Before I bought a 500 I would look reeeeally hard at the r-spec wolverine. They come stock with skids and a top. So that offsets a little cost if you’re just wanting a two seat machine. Platform wise the 1000 is the best option for multi use but it comes at a price and is limited to non restricted trails. That isn’t an issue where I am. I thought I wanted a small compact machine that could operate in 50” or less trails but I found it wasn’t needed and the sacrifice I had to make for it wasn’t worth it. I like 4 wheelers as they are still better than a sxs if you want a small machine. Point is... you have to be real honest with yourself about your wants and needs. Trails are getting wider and if you don’t HAVE to have a 50” machine, don’t get one. Just my .02... I made the mistake between family and size and what I “thought” I wanted. We all have different expectations but I was a little let down after spending a little time in mine. Granted I didn’t put the seat time in that some of these guys have but I’ve also owned both and I see people going to a 1000 and not the other way around.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I can’t really.. you’ll either love the 500 or hate it. I just found that it lacked both at being what I wanted on the smaller side of things and not quite big and stable enough on the other end of the spectrum. It’s a reliable system but not what was suited for my family. If you have kids and a wife that will want to go then the 500 it not the machine for you. If you want to run fast or extreme, then the 500 isn’t for you. If you want a crossover for STRICTLY you and a passenger and you don’t ride too hard, fast, extreme then it’s a good option. But I think there are better. I found that it just didn’t fit the way I expected it too. Some guys love it and have done a ton to make them better. But at what point are you sinking money into something that never fulfills your desires. Before I bought a 500 I would look reeeeally hard at the r-spec wolverine. They come stock with skids and a top. So that offsets a little cost if you’re just wanting a two seat machine. Platform wise the 1000 is the best option for multi use but it comes at a price and is limited to non restricted trails. That isn’t an issue where I am. I thought I wanted a small compact machine that could operate in 50” or less trails but I found it wasn’t needed and the sacrifice I had to make for it wasn’t worth it. I like 4 wheelers as they are still better than a sxs if you want a small machine. Point is... you have to be real honest with yourself about your wants and needs. Trails are getting wider and if you don’t HAVE to have a 50” machine, don’t get one. Just my .02... I made the mistake between family and size and what I “thought” I wanted. We all have different expectations but I was a little let down after spending a little time in mine. Granted I didn’t put the seat time in that some of these guys have but I’ve also owned both and I see people going to a 1000 and not the other way around.
So my next question would be is there anything "wrong" with the 500 that isn't also wrong with all the other 50" machines? To me, they are all compromised by the width.
It's just me and (very rarely, the wife). I like the concept of a SxS thats really just a BIG ATV and the maneuverability that comes with it, yet has a roof and bench seat. But as you said, 50" trails aren't really an issue here. And i suspect will be less of an issue as wider sxs's increase in popularity.

I always loved ATV's, but can't say i would ever go back unless i had too purely for comfort reasons. Then again, when i made the switch, i was in AZ where getting out of the sun is a huge deal (and not so much here), AND that old solid axle non-PS Foreman beat me up pretty bad. A new IRS/EPS Rubicon might be as comfy...i dunno.

The big thing going for the 500's is i see them cheap (Those and Wildcat trails). Several for $6000. Cheapest 700 I've seen used is $8500.

J

JTW

Ask @Tigermark his thoughts he owns both. @Chooglin is eventually looking at going to the wolverine.. he can better answer why. Jshell had a 500 and went to the 1000 but found it didn’t suit him either and went back to a 4 wheeler. I don’t care what you buy or suits your needs.. just telling you what I’ve experienced and observed.

Reactions: DG Rider
J

JTW

So my next question would be is there anything "wrong" with the 500 that isn't also wrong with all the other 50" machines? To me, they are all compromised by the width.
It's just me and (very rarely, the wife). I like the concept of a SxS thats really just a BIG ATV and the maneuverability that comes with it, yet has a roof and bench seat. But as you said, 50" trails aren't really an issue here. And i suspect will be less of an issue as wider sxs's increase in popularity.

I always loved ATV's, but can't say i would ever go back unless i had too purely for comfort reasons. Then again, when i made the switch, i was in AZ where getting out of the sun is a huge deal (and not so much here), AND that old solid axle non-PS Foreman beat me up pretty bad. A new IRS/EPS Rubicon might be as comfy...i dunno.

The big thing going for the 500's is i see them cheap (Those and Wildcat trails). Several for $6000. Cheapest 700 I've seen used is $8500.
I can’t comment on the 500 vs 700.. a 50” machine just doesn’t give the ride and stability of a wider machine. I’m of the belief you need 60” to get a sxs to perform the way we expect them to due to the suspension travel needed. Again, if it’s just you maybe momma I would highly look into the r-spec wolverine. It all depends on your use. A farm or hunting machine and a trail and family machine don’t always come in the same package. So it makes for a tough choice.. and unfortunately it’s not a cheap game to play.

J

JTW

I would stick with Honda or Yamaha if I was looking to keep what I bought.. other brands are fine if you’re one to buy new and trade every few years.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I can’t comment on the 500 vs 700.. a 50” machine just doesn’t give the ride and stability of a wider machine. I’m of the belief you need 60” to get a sxs to perform the way we expect them to due to the suspension travel needed. Again, if it’s just you maybe momma I would highly look into the r-spec wolverine. It all depends on your use. A farm or hunting machine and a trail and family machine don’t always come in the same package. So it makes for a tough choice.. and unfortunately it’s not a cheap game to play.
A Wolvy is a contender for sure. Just wish the bed was a little bigger as i do want good utility use from it. A midsized Ranger would be great...if Yamaha made it. But then again...as above, i don't necessarily NEED a smaller. I think its still quad withdrawal.

Not cheap for sure. Ironically, I can now buy a 700 cheaper than i did the 1st time around, thanks to the 1000! My 1st quad was $2999 brand new.:eek:

J

JTW

A Wolvy is a contender for sure. Just wish the bed was a little bigger as i do want good utility use from it. A midsized Ranger would be great...if Yamaha made it. But then again...as above, i don't necessarily NEED a smaller. I think its still quad withdrawal.

Not cheap for sure. Ironically, I can now buy a 700 cheaper than i did the 1st time around, thanks to the 1000! My 1st quad was $2999 brand new.:eek:
If price isn’t as much a concern it would be between the r-spec and the Honda 1000 for me. The kinks are about worked out on the Honda and if you buy used they’re easily fixed personally or the Honda fixes seem good. Clutches should no longer be an issue.

Reactions: Shannon840
C

Chooglin

The p500 is a nice sxs and has its advantages over larger machines for sure.

I wish I had done more research when purchasing mine.I have enough money tied up in my 500 that I could have easily bought a Wolverine (not available at the time I purchased my 500).

If I was to buy the W.E. shocks, Torq-Masters locker and Ez-Steer power steering , I would be looking at another $2,300 added to what I already have tied up in mine and it would in no way compare to a Wolverine ,as far as ride and comfort.

I don't dislike the 500 , I have just come to realize ,there are far better machines out there for the amount of money it takes to customize a 500 to get it even close to what some other manufacturers already offer!

Last edited by a moderator:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

I wish I had done more research when purchasing mine.I have enough money tied up in my 500 that I could have easily bought a Wolverine (not available at the time I purchased my 500).

If I was to buy the W.E. shocks, Torq-Masters locker and Ez-Steer power steering , I would be looking at another $2,300 added to what I already have tied up in mine and it would in no way compare to a Wolverine ,as far as ride and comfort.

I don't dislike the 500 , I have just come to realize ,there are far better machines out there for the amount of money it takes to customize a 500 to get it even close to what some other manufacturers already offer!

Agree 100%. I've considered other machines and even researched specific ones quite a bit. What the P5 has going for it is the smallest footprint and its dependability. It'll always get you home.

Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon x4

I feel the same way. If I had it to do over with, I'd probably be in a P1k or a Wolverine right now. I've got so much money in it, and still owe to much on it to be able to trade or sell without losing my butt.

J

JTW

I really liked the box and basket setup though! It was great and I miss it!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
So it sounds like if we had one of those "would I buy it again" polls, many of you would say no. Interesting.

Reactions: trigger and JTW
H

Heloron

Mar 5, 2017
Oroville, California
Ownership

1. 500
Agree 100%. I've considered other machines and even researched specific ones quite a bit. What the P5 has going for it is the smallest footprint and its dependability. It'll always get you home.
I'm with you. I'm by me self most of the time, I hate walking for out for help. And if it can't fit in the back of my pickup I can't use it. However, I'll have a better educated opinion by December. We'll see.

Reactions: trigger and JTW
J

JTW

Have you considered a mule??? Of the 4 legged variety I mean.
83BC8E22 4AFE 429C AACF 77D093466346

Reactions: R-Lamm
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Video...& pics to come..
hit..rock...going over 30 mph
Left front..axle...pulled out of gear box..
limped it..back to truck....wat a b****..
rocks was in the shadows..seen it..10ft
before I hit..didn't blow out tire..or bend rim..
not sure of complete damage...small abrasion
on my forehead.....
40 mins.into the ride....
any input..on ...fixing would be
appreciated. ..looked up axle...
$80....
Chime in...guys

Reactions: JTW and trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Video...& pics to come..
hit..rock...going over 30 mph
Left front..axle...pulled out of gear box..
limped it..back to truck....wat a b****..
rocks was in the shadows..seen it..10ft
before I hit..didn't blow out tire..or bend rim..
not sure of complete damage...small abrasion
on my forehead.....
40 mins.into the ride....
any input..on ...fixing would be
appreciated. ..looked up axle...
$80....
Chime in...guys

Awe, that sucks! Glad to hear you're alright. Stomper got you back though.

Reactions: rocmar
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Awe, that sucks! Glad to hear you're alright. Stomper got you back though.
Yes...blisters on hands..steering
little over 2 miles...right front straight
left front...to the left..
loading was a b****..
but backing it in was the trick
second pic...shows spline of axle
pulled out...
20171011 075333
20171011 075352

Reactions: trigger
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yes...blisters on hands..steering
little over 2 miles...right front straight
left front...to the left..
loading was a b****..
but backing it in was the trick
second pic...shows spline of axle
pulled out...
View attachment 56053 View attachment 56054

Me too, glad to hear you're ok. It's hard to tell the damage from the pics. Does it look like the winch mount is twisted? I'd check the a arms for bends, also.

Reactions: rocmar
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Got video..of it
...doesn't seem that bad in video
..waiting for it to up load
...just hoping..I didnt..f-- k things up
...to bad..
widow...maker..got me...
Guess...will see...
any suggestions. .or
things to look for...
would be much appreciated

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!