P500 Monday/Friday machine UPDATE 3/2/18

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@Little_g , saw this on the P1000 page, water immersion issue. P1000 - Class action lawsuit
Read through that the other day. My problem is that I haven’t taken on water in the engine. With all my oil leaks that they found on the crank case and the valve head they are blaming it on cold water hitting the hot engine causing the seals to shrink. Which I totally call BS! They are covering some of the warranty work but not all of it. Giving me “the benefit of the doubt”.

I have a long letter written out I’m going to be sending out along with all my invoices of all the work and pictures. Not sure it will do any good but it’s with a shot and I wanna make my voice heard. I’ll post the email that the shop got from the regional rep that looked at my machine. They did find that my front diff was leaking due to a pinched vent line that I installed which I will totally take the blame for but the rest is just bull!

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Email from our Honda rep:

Original reply from Honda:

"As we've concluded based on extensive unit evaluation. It is extremely probable, Mr. Johnson's Pioneer 500 is used in an excessive amount of water. Typically, in an off road recreational environment mud is associated with water. These conditions can lead to early wear and deterioration of drive train components including (but not limited to) seals and gasket.

In the interest of customer satisfaction and education. I am willing to provide the benefit of the doubt and repair the rear output shaft seal and rear engine cover sealant. This will also provide us the opportunity to verify the integrity of the output shaft sealing surface and associated parts. As this requires the removal of the engine, it provides easy access to address concerns at the front of the engine.

With regard to the front engine leaks:
If you see any debri were the front drive shaft mats to the output shaft take photos of this.

Regarding rear differential seepage:
Verify the oil height and condition
Verify his vent line extensions are free from clogging
Provided diff oil and height are in good condition, proper height and vent lines are not obstructed warranty will cover rear diff re seal.

Regarding front differential concerns:
Based on the after market vent line extension pinched at dash, this will be Mr. Johnson's responsibility if he would like it repaired

Replace throttle cable under warranty

Recommendations:
Prior to starting repairs, contact Mr. Johnson, advise his unit exhibits signs of use in excessive water. While you are willing to provide benefit of the doubt to address his current concerns, should discovery of additional problems with in the engine be discovered, the repair cost may be his responsibility...

Document current oil and height conditions (engine and diff) note also coolant level.
Would show customer jammed air filter bracket.
Customer will need to pay for the engine oil and filter based on current condition of oil and no maintenance records provided.

Please document on the Repair order that the unit exhibits signs of usage in excessive amount of water and mud, reference page 85 of your owner's manual regarding operation in water. As reflected in your warranty booklet. Misuse is not covered by Honda's express limited warranty."

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well at least they are covering some of the issues, I hope it’s all good when you get it back.

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well at least they are covering some of the issues, I hope it’s all good when you get it back.
Same here. Called a few weeks ago and they said they just got the engine back together. Now they have to get the engine back in the machine and get all the plastics back on. I sure the hell hope it’s good after this. If it has to go back again after this I’m going to be LIVID.

Reactions: Chooglin
Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Same here. Called a few weeks ago and they said they just got the engine back together. Now they have to get the engine back in the machine and get all the plastics back on. I sure the hell hope it’s good after this. If it has to go back again after this I’m going to be LIVID.
I don’t blame you but I’m going lean on the optimistic side and say it’s going to be good to go. My 17 p5 hasn’t had any issues yet, I guess time will tell. Hope you get yours back soon and are able to have some fun. Good luck.

Reactions: Little_g
Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I don’t blame you but I’m going lean on the optimistic side and say it’s going to be good to go. My 17 p5 hasn’t had any issues yet, I guess time will tell. Hope you get yours back soon and are able to have some fun. Good luck.
Thanks! I hope I get it back soon also. Been gone since November. Good thing it’s still cold out or I’d really be nagging them to get it done. I told myself all last summer that I should have kept my 15. That thing was bulletproof and was swamped and still ran like a champ. This one started having issues at 200 miles. Crossing my fingers it’s good to go after all this.

Reactions: mrjeff42
Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks! I hope I get it back soon also. Been gone since November. Good thing it’s still cold out or I’d really be nagging them to get it done. I told myself all last summer that I should have kept my 15. That thing was bulletproof and was swamped and still ran like a champ. This one started having issues at 200 miles. Crossing my fingers it’s good to go after all this.
I can’t argue about the 15 vs 17, all I know is that so far my 17 has been pretty good and I don’t know if I could live without the auto mode since it’s great for cruising. What’s taking them so long? Since November is a long time!!

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I can’t argue about the 15 vs 17, all I know is that so far my 17 has been pretty good and I don’t know if I could live without the auto mode since it’s great for cruising. What’s taking them so long? Since November is a long time!!
Well it took a month for them to look at it. Then once they finally started tearing into it the tech quit on them so they had to find someone else and get the parts. My friend that had his 1000 there after it has water in the engine took 3 months or so also. They are really slow at this place.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well it took a month for them to look at it. Then once they finally started tearing into it the tech quit on them so they had to find someone else and get the parts. My friend that had his 1000 there after it has water in the engine took 3 months or so also. They are really slow at this place.
Well hopefully slow= quality work.

advertisement
Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Finally got my machine back with a $750 bill attached. Guess it could have been worse. They said that Honda didn’t warranty some of my work because they replaced my headlights that had water in them and because of my snorkel and extended vent lines so they assumed that it was under water. Which it has never been. As far as the engine seals they blame that on cold water hitting a hot engine and causing the casings to shrink and oil leaking through. Another BS excuse. Pretty disappointed in how this was all handled.

25B2149A 199D 48CC 9BC9 6BA1224A1A7C 6DAF57EC 3085 4F68 8BF1 6651F4CF2443

Reactions: Mudder and Chooglin
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
@Little_g I kind of expected this outcome for you! Damn that's a lot of money to drop for some oil leaks! Can you share how your vent line on the diff got pinched? Was it routing or something that happened while riding like mud in the vent line? Its always great to share so others don't have to go through the trouble you encountered!

Reactions: Little_g
Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@Little_g I kind of expected this outcome for you! Damn that's a lot of money to drop for some oil leaks! Can you share how your vent line on the diff got pinched? Was it routing or something that happened while riding like mud in the vent line? Its always great to share so others don't have to go through the trouble you encountered!

It was my front diff ventline that it happened to. And yeah it was a nice chunck if change. I guess i can be thankful that Honda covered some of it due to them having to pull the whole engine. I’ve technically got a rebuilt engine now so I should be able to go for quite a while. I’ll include a pic of where the vent line was ran. I had it in the EXACT same spot on my 15 and never had issues. So when they called me to inform me of this I was quite shocked as I had no idea my front diff was even leaking. So that’s the story on that one lol. Be happy to answer anymore questions if you have.

DB077211 258B 4AE8 A1D3 8B9867893578

Reactions: Eltobgi
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Not sure how the line could have been pinched running it like that! o_O Did you get a chance to take it out since the repairs and test their work? Damn, been dying to ride and we still have over a foot of snow on the ground!:(

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Not sure how the line could have been pinched running it like that! o_O Did you get a chance to take it out since the repairs and test their work? Damn, been dying to ride and we still have over a foot of snow on the ground!:(
Yeah I've very suspicious of that also! I honestly don't think it was. It probably did develop a leak that I never noticed, but I'm positive it wasn't pinched and Honda was using it as an excuse for them not to cover it. Its been so damn cold here that I haven't been able to ride either. Hopefully in a couple weeks we will finally be able to get out. I know I wanna get it out so I can see if its gonna be ok. Im hoping everything will be good now and that I've got all the kinks out within the first year. If anything happens this year with it its gonna go down the road. Still kicking myself in the ass for getting rid of my 15.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Sounds like the quality issues some on here have experienced from one machine to the next! You may be right your P5 might me a Monday/Friday Machine,lol. If it is those would be good days to trade it in on the '18 P5 or P1K;) Keep us updated!

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sounds like the quality issues some on here have experienced from one machine to the next! You may be right your P5 might me a Monday/Friday Machine,lol. If it is those would be good days to trade it in on the '18 P5 or P1K;) Keep us updated!
I"ve been seeing a lot of quality issue posts lately. I really do like Honda and hope they get it together. It will DEFINITELY be a P1K next time around haha. If not this year for sure next year. I will keep you informed of anything more with this. Crossing my fingers NOT! Just want a trouble free summer this year.

Reactions: Eltobgi

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!