Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Ask for more detailed pictures to support your potential lawsuit;)

Reactions: Little_g
Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Who is your dealer?o_O
Well the original dealer I bought it from wouldn’t help me at all so I took it elsewhere. I’m guessing they think that it has been is because I have all my vent lines up and the snorkel. They said they would have to wait until they took the engine apart to make a final decision to see if it will be covered so I’m waiting to hear back on that.

I guess the front differential was leaking also due to a pinched vent line that I had installed so that’s gonna cost me $250. I had no idea that it was. As far as the rest I’m still waiting but should be covered. They said the Honda rep that came and looked said he was concerned due to it probably being in very deep water in which it hasn’t.

I found some paperwork today from wen I first took it in at 196 miles complaining about some of these leaks. Paperwork stated to clean the areas and monitor. Honda said it was normal break in. Not calling down This dealerships because they really have helped out. Just nervous to see what they say when they take the engine out because there shouldn’t be a speck of dirt, water, or whatever else in there. I don’t think the machine has 1000 or maybe a little over. I wish I would have wrote that down before I took it in.

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well now I’m officially pissed! Guess Honda isn’t gonna cover this due to cold water hitting the hot engine. Saying it’s water damage. I’d like to know why my 07 Rancher and my 15 pioneer never had this issue. I told the service department that I want someone from Honda to contact me and discuss this. Cost on my part so far is up to $650. Just a warning don’t go in water above your floorboards.

4548255A 27BF 451E AAC4 3951667E62C5

Reactions: Smitty335
R-Lamm

R-Lamm

Lifetime Member
Sep 27, 2017
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Well now I’m officially pissed! Guess Honda isn’t gonna cover this due to cold water hitting the hot engine. Saying it’s water damage. I’d like to know why my 07 Rancher and my 15 pioneer never had this issue. I told the service department that I want someone from Honda to contact me and discuss this. Cost on my part so far is up to $650. Just a warning don’t go in water above your floorboards.

View attachment 59775
So they suggest you warm up the creeks before you cross?!?! :mad: Sorry man....that sucks!!!

Reactions: Eltobgi
Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So they suggest you warm up the creeks before you cross?!?! :mad: Sorry man....that sucks!!!
I tell ya I could have reached through the phone and choked him. They keep saying oh no water over 10inches or over the floorboards however much that’s suppose to be. Believe me I’m gonna right it as much as I can. And I guess you can’t splash through a puddle either. What would happen is snow gets in there would it also shink those gaskets. Just pissed and need to vent. Anyone have any advice?

Reactions: R-Lamm
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Crazy, years of puddles or hose wash offs with atvs, no problems.. get something in writing.

shoplizard

shoplizard

Nov 27, 2016
Great Falls, MT 59405
Ownership

1. 500
Hi, I looked carefully at 2016 P500 and I don't recognize the pictures you are displaying. The engine may be correct, but it could be a view I can't duplicate without disassembly. I also don't understand what they are trying to show you, I assume it is the dirt spot on the head, which I would consider normal for a vehicle designed to be driven exclusively on paved roads, not one that specifically designed for off-road use. As for being "swamped" how do they define that, I didn't see any water and/or mud in the air cleaner. I used to ride motorcycles, Honda, Kawasaki etc. and that looks really clean to me. I used to run through the creeks and mud holes and never had problems with the aluminum engines leaking oil because of it. I think you need to get more information from the dealer. My 2016 P500 looks much worse than the pictures. Also, what does winter have to do with driving P500, bundle up and have fun busting through drifts on your way to the grocery store

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hi, I looked carefully at 2016 P500 and I don't recognize the pictures you are displaying. The engine may be correct, but it could be a view I can't duplicate without disassembly. I also don't understand what they are trying to show you, I assume it is the dirt spot on the head, which I would consider normal for a vehicle designed to be driven exclusively on paved roads, not one that specifically designed for off-road use. As for being "swamped" how do they define that, I didn't see any water and/or mud in the air cleaner. I used to ride motorcycles, Honda, Kawasaki etc. and that looks really clean to me. I used to run through the creeks and mud holes and never had problems with the aluminum engines leaking oil because of it. I think you need to get more information from the dealer. My 2016 P500 looks much worse than the pictures. Also, what does winter have to do with driving P500, bundle up and have fun busting through drifts on your way to the grocery store
The picture I posted shows a seeping spot on the crank case and I guess there Is also a leak around the cylinder that looks the exact same. The pic is the crank case right below the battery if you are trying to picture where that spot is at lol. I have so many pictures of all this stuff and its getting confusing. This is a 2017 machine and have had problems since 200 miles.

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
An Email I got from the Honda Rep that has been working on my machine.

As we've concluded based on extensive unit evaluation. It is extremely probable, Mr. Johnson's Pioneer 500 is used in an excessive amount of water. Typically, in an off road recreational environment mud is associated with water. These conditions can lead to early wear and deterioration of drive train components including (but not limited to) seals and gasket.

In the interest of customer satisfaction and education. I am willing to provide the benefit of the doubt and repair the rear output shaft seal and rear engine cover sealant. This will also provide us the opportunity to verify the integrity of the output shaft sealing surface and associated parts. As this requires the removal of the engine, it provides easy access to address concerns at the front of the engine.

With regard to the front engine leaks:
If you see any debri were the front drive shaft mats to the output shaft take photos of this.

Regarding rear differential seepage:
Verify the oil height and condition
Verify his vent line extensions are free from clogging
Provided diff oil and height are in good condition, proper height and vent lines are not obstructed warranty will cover rear diff re seal.

Regarding front differential concerns:
Based on the after market vent line extension pinched at dash, this will be Mr. Johnson's responsibility if he would like it repaired

Replace throttle cable under warranty

Recommendations:
Prior to starting repairs, contact Mr. Johnson, advise his unit exhibits signs of use in excessive water. While you are willing to provide benefit of the doubt to address his current concerns, should discovery of additional problems with in the engine be discovered, the repair cost may be his responsibility...

Document current oil and height conditions (engine and diff) note also coolant level.
Would show customer jammed air filter bracket.
Customer will need to pay for the engine oil and filter based on current condition of oil and no maintenance records provided.

Please document on the Repair order that the unit exhibits signs of usage in excessive amount of water and mud, reference page 85 of your owner's manual regarding operation in water. As reflected in your warranty booklet. Misuse is not covered by Honda's express limited warranty."

R-Lamm

R-Lamm

Lifetime Member
Sep 27, 2017
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Benefit of the doubt...maybe we will cover it...maybe we will not!!! Sheesh! At least they are willing to own up to it as much as they are I guess?!?!?

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Benefit of the doubt...maybe we will cover it...maybe we will not!!! Sheesh! At least they are willing to own up to it as much as they are I guess?!?!?
Benefit of the doubt... What kinda BS is that! LOL Just a warning to all you guys don't go in anything deeper then 10in of water and Typically, in an off road recreational environment mud is associated with water. I'm so dumbfounded by this I don't know wether to laugh or be pissed off...

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
(Edit:Based on that letter)The puddles of water is a cop out. This is an off-road machine and the 1000 even has a wiper from Honda, are you not supposed to use it except on a dry day in a desert?

I would understand if you had portals and 36" tires and a water line across the rops and snorkel downtube that suggests you should be wearing scuba gear or if you had incriminating videos posted on you tube.

Drawing the line at water below the skid plate is ridiculous, mine is snorkeled but its only for the O.S. moment where the creek across the trail is deeper than it looks or the mudhole is deeper than you thought. I also clean the ever loving crap out of mine after I ride it so I can check for leaks, cracks, cuts, etc..... and even on a slightly wet day there will be mud spray on the underside of the roof. Thats not hitting a mud hole at 30 thats just running down a wet dirt road....at 30.

A reasonable depth of water should be balls deep, if you can keep your balls dry then the machine is good, that limits MOST riders right there. That also accounts for sloshing too so it wouldn't actually be balls deep.

How about if your seat is water logged your warranty is void? THAT would suggest in his words "an excessive amount of water."

Last edited:
Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The puddles of water is a cop out. This is an off-road machine and the 1000 even has a wiper from Honda, are you not supposed to use it except on a dry day in a desert?

I would understand if you had portals and 36" tires and a water line across the rops and snorkel downtube that suggests you should be wearing scuba gear or if you had incriminating videos posted on you tube.

Drawing the line at water below the skid plate is ridiculous, mine is snorkeled but its only for the O.S. moment where the creek across the trail is deeper than it looks or the mudhole is deeper than you thought. I also clean the ever loving crap out of mine after I ride it so I can check for leaks, cracks, cuts, etc..... and even on a slightly wet day there will be mud spray on the underside of the roof. Thats not hitting a mud hole at 30 thats just running down a wet dirt road....at 30.

A reasonable depth of water should be balls deep, if you can keep your balls dry then the machine is good, that limits MOST riders right there. That also accounts for sloshing too so it wouldn't actually be balls deep.

How about if your seat is water logged your warranty is void? THAT would suggest in his words "an excessive amount of water."
I have mine snorkeled which is also for that O.S. moment. I learned from my last machine and that exact mistake. Luckily the damn thing ran after and ran great for the rest of the summer and when I traded it in. I saw it out a few months later on a ride and it was still running strong. Should have kept the 15 Pioneer. I'm waiting for Honda to call me back with a case manager. How come all the other Hondas I ride with aren't experiencing these issues or my 07 Rancher isn't leaking/seeping oil. I ride the exact same trails with the rancher as the p5.

Reactions: Eltobgi
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have mine snorkeled which is also for that O.S. moment. I learned from my last machine and that exact mistake. Luckily the damn thing ran after and ran great for the rest of the summer and when I traded it in. I saw it out a few months later on a ride and it was still running strong. Should have kept the 15 Pioneer. I'm waiting for Honda to call me back with a case manager. How come all the other Hondas I ride with aren't experiencing these issues or my 07 Rancher isn't leaking/seeping oil. I ride the exact same trails with the rancher as the p5.

35815 149303c500c6271630bfe393660b9f70

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!