P500 Money Tight - But Need Upgrade

L

lukebuz

Jun 22, 2020
Bowling Green, KY
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for reassuring! I'll ride carefree. If something happens, then will address then...

Any suggestions on tire pressure for the 11's on 7's? Looking for smoothest ride, without issues. They suggest 10. Below that OK? 7?

Reactions: crewcabrob
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Finally, to my question. We are single income, 2 kids. I can justify an expensive purchase if it's going to make a big difference. But I'm not in the position to drop $1,500 just to get a small incremental improvement.
Hate to brake this news to you, In your situation unless u make good money, no debt, enough income as one like having two, IMO u have no business putting the proper money into a P5 to get what your after in a Biden world/economy. All the adjustments your trying to get around is like putting lipstick on a pig. Ugraded shocks are the way to go but pricy. I know this cuz I tried this very thing with tires on a P5 i once had. You need all u can for your family first. Save your pennies and get those WE socks at a latter date.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You could change springs out fairly cheap. Big soft tires will help. 27 or 28 on a 12" wheel. I'd look for some pioneer 1000 take offs, the base did run a 12" wheel maybe still does.

L

lukebuz

Jun 22, 2020
Bowling Green, KY
Ownership

1. 500
Don't worry Rem. Make decent money - the limit is self imposed budgeting. Valuable skill many don't have nowadays.
I could drop 2K for shocks, but really, the lipstick I slapped on her is looking pretty good. Only got to do a few rides so far - but it's enough improvement for me.

I can't justify spending 1/3 the price of the machine just for a smoother ride. The $900 total bill for tires offers ride improvement, little extra height, better looks and better traction. Overall good value to me!

Your right, I won't be sipping lattes from fine China on the trail, but it got me partway there!

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Don't worry Rem. Make decent money - the limit is self imposed budgeting. Valuable skill many don't have nowadays.
I could drop 2K for shocks, but really, the lipstick I slapped on her is looking pretty good. Only got to do a few rides so far - but it's enough improvement for me.

I can't justify spending 1/3 the price of the machine just for a smoother ride. The $900 total bill for tires offers ride improvement, little extra height, better looks and better traction. Overall good value to me!

Your right, I won't be sipping lattes from fine China on the trail, but it got me partway there!
Good, as long as your happy with the improvement

Idahotruckman

Idahotruckman

Feb 15, 2021
Boise, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Adjusting the springs on the stock shocks dose not actually change the ride (until you bottom the suspension).
It just changes the ride height.
I run my springs for max ride height.

I run 26” radial tires (Maxis Bighorn originals) on the stock wheels.
No wheel spacers (they are the devil).
And I tend to run the pressure on the low side, 6~7 psi.
You need to be careful with the low tire pressure as you can pinch the side wall if it is too low.

One day when I hit the lottery I will invest in aftermarket shocks but for now it works pretty good.
Lee, what did you mean when you wrote "No wheel spacers, they are the devil."??? Just curious.

Idahotruckman

Idahotruckman

Feb 15, 2021
Boise, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
When I considered a shock upgrade I was astonished at what Walker Evans cost. So I bought the fronts only. They actually were going to make them the next week so I had them in nine days.
Installed the fronts and noticed a much better ride, especially over washboard roads. Couldn't help myself - I ordered the rear shocks. They took eight weeks to arrive.
Although I was not expecting a miracle, I was hoping having all four on would make the ride so I did not shake so much going over rocky and washboard roads. Do I believe the shocks were money well spent? Absolutely.
However, it was the collective modifications of 26" Bighorn radials, WE shocks, wheel spacers, and power steering made a whole different machine, one that was trailworthy and fun to drive. For me it was all those improvements combined that made a difference, not necessarily one specific improvement. Probably not you wanted to hear.

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
Like Idaho said, they all help. Tire construction, rim width and the psi you run also effect ride quality. The ‘balooney’ 12x12 bias ply rear set up at 3 lbs that I usta run actually rode nice but skatey at speed. My Perfex lift stood my rear shocks up which wasn’t ideal for ride quality but I went full soft on springs and 5 clicks. I’ve completely forgotten the stock 24” ‘golf cart’ days......

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Lee, what did you mean when you wrote "No wheel spacers, they are the devil."??? Just curious.
So this is sort of the short answer (but longer than just random name calling).

The wheel spacer adds a level of complexity that leads to problems down stream.
The nuts holding the spacer on (for the normal better designed ones) are hidden and if they lose torque are not easily checked or tightened.
The materials used for wheel spacers are problematic - aluminum is the minimum worth considering (avoid the plastic or urethane ones).
But even aluminum may not handle the contact stress of the mounting bolts or the wheel.
This leads to torque loss over time.
(and this is the reason lock tite is not a fool proof solution for the nuts mounting the spacer to the hub)
There are plenty of stories out there, I saw one on this forum where some one lost a wheel on a paved road.
I'm sure if there are any chassis design technical experts out there they would agree with me.

Apart from that, one of the beauties of the P500 is the 50" width for trails with width restrictions.
I know that in many location people are able to cheat the width some.
My life goal is to to haul my P500 west to ride, just life hasn't let me do that since 2018 for one reason or another.
Ohio is not ATV/SxS friendly.
Rocking up to a gate that is really 50" wide would suck with spacers on.
And on the flip side I am not a believer that the P500 is "too" tippy (If my P500 has ever been on its side (or roof one time) I'm sure there is another explanation for it).
I think the designers did damn good job on the P500.

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
I agree that spacers are not ‘set it and forget it’ devices. I’m real diligent about my Jeep’s spacers and even wonder about their life expectancy. 14 yrs at the moment. Winter road crap a real concern. I have a 20 yr old set on my Big Bear. Usually cleaned up and garaged after abuse. The P5 really went to the dark side with 1.5” fronts and 3” rear spacers.54” front,56” rear, four 12x6 fronts on 28x10x12Blackwater Evos. I have a tendency to use all my width! My cage fitty is the width I benefit from the most.......

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I personally don't like spacers, but I run them on the back of my P520. I too believe they are just another point of failure. Even the good ones I have from RB3, can suffer from my stupid or lazy tendencies and might cause a failure.

The reality is, I need them to make things right for other reasons. It's a compromise that I am willing to make on my low-speed UTV, but I might not make the same compromise on something that carries me and my family at higher rates of speed on crowded streets/highways.

In the spirit of steering this back on track for the OP, I know that someone has mentioned in past threads that the shocks on the P520 are different than the stocks ones of the older p500s. I'm willing to donate my newish shocks with 325 miles, to someone that might think they can use them. You pay shipping and donate some cash to a charity of your choice.

Rob

L

lukebuz

Jun 22, 2020
Bowling Green, KY
Ownership

1. 500
In the spirit of steering this back on track for the OP, I know that someone has mentioned in past threads that the shocks on the P520 are different than the stocks ones of the older p500s. I'm willing to donate my newish shocks with 325 miles, to someone that might think they can use them. You pay shipping and donate some cash to a charity of your choice.

Rob
I'd be willing to give it a whirl and post updates. What did you have in mind?

RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So this is sort of the short answer (but longer than just random name calling).

The wheel spacer adds a level of complexity that leads to problems down stream.
The nuts holding the spacer on (for the normal better designed ones) are hidden and if they lose torque are not easily checked or tightened.
The materials used for wheel spacers are problematic - aluminum is the minimum worth considering (avoid the plastic or urethane ones).
But even aluminum may not handle the contact stress of the mounting bolts or the wheel.
This leads to torque loss over time.
(and this is the reason lock tite is not a fool proof solution for the nuts mounting the spacer to the hub)
There are plenty of stories out there, I saw one on this forum where some one lost a wheel on a paved road.
I'm sure if there are any chassis design technical experts out there they would agree with me.

Apart from that, one of the beauties of the P500 is the 50" width for trails with width restrictions.
I know that in many location people are able to cheat the width some.
My life goal is to to haul my P500 west to ride, just life hasn't let me do that since 2018 for one reason or another.
Ohio is not ATV/SxS friendly.
Rocking up to a gate that is really 50" wide would suck with spacers on.
And on the flip side I am not a believer that the P500 is "too" tippy (If my P500 has ever been on its side (or roof one time) I'm sure there is another explanation for it).
I think the designers did damn good job on the P500.
wheel spacers are actually not bad. they actually help the stability of these machines. Hondas are top heavy and the wheel spacers are great for helping keep your family on all 4 wheels.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I'd be willing to give it a whirl and post updates. What did you have in mind?
I want to make sure we understand that these are the stock shocks taken off my p520 after 325 gentle miles.

I'm not too picky on the charitable organization. some type of trails organization, Humane Society, green causes always work for me... just some type of proof that you have given back either by a modest sum or some of your time or talent. I would like to see an honest $25 or more donated or at least an hour of your time. Good will or salvation Army donation boxes are not my cup of tea...

I will box them up and drop at the local USPS for shipping and let you know how much it costs to ship. Venmo or Zelle works for sending money to take care of the shipping.

Shoot me a private message if these terms are acceptable.

Reactions: Yomama101

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!