100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, after this last takeover, I decided I would add some mods and changes to the P5. This is my list I'm working on so far.I had thought long and hard about upgrading to a larger tire like 26 or 27's, but until the current 25' Bighorn originals are more wore down, I'm just gonna stick with them for now. Yes, more clearance would definitely welcome but other than riding at RRB, I've never had any issues with high
centering and the P5 performed nearly flawlessly over the past year as it sits. So,...

1. Spare tire and rim plus a way to mount it. Plus a better tire lug wrench.

2. I'm wanting to get some spacers to help with the Floppiness and give her a wider more stable stance. I'd like to know what recommendations everyone has for widths and manufacturers and materials.

3. Power steering- I've got some issues with Carpel tunnel and arthritis so, while predominately steering with my left hand and holding the dog with the right ends up hurting my hand and wrist for days. I already had surgery on my right hand, wrist and elbow which now works better but, all in all, it set me back financially. So is the Tusk Power Steering worth the $500 price tag?
3.a) A suicide knob...?

4. Seat belts/Harness, shoulder strap padding for me and, or some type of harness for the dog that she cannot easily walk out of.

5. Secondary Battery for running winch and accessories plus all the wiring etc...

6. New flip up windshield. Since my last one snapped at RRB, I thought I'd get the 2 piece flip up one for better air flow and visibility when the shield is dirty.

7. Front bumper because the heavy-ass hi-lift on the front ain't cutting it, nor is it functioning correctly; I cannot get it to descend. Rear Bumper for Rear Crunchies.

8. I'm still on the fence about a bigger wifi sound bar and where to mount it.. There is very little head space for me in the p5 and even less if I ever have to wear a helmet.

9. Maybe look at a different way to store gear on the rear. The big box is nice but sometimes it makes you wanna bring more crap. Plus its often difficult getting a good look at what's behind you. I'm considering a bed with lower, shorter box. Must have space to mount or store a spare tire and preferably a lower COG.

10. Under seat storage and or under hood, I have that Tupperware box that fits under the hood but I'm always concerned it may have some issues like heat etc.

11. Move my 12v plug up to the dash. I don't like the hanging socket. Damaged danglers.

12. Big air horn. I liked the ones some of the guys had at the takeover. I used to have 2 on the roof of my '82 F-100.

13. I forgot.- Lights maybe? The stock headlights suck turds through an unwashed camel hair filter

14. Shocks. Should I go all around with upgrades or is there a better method to this madness?

15. Snorkel for both intake and exhaust.

16. Purposeful Porpoise fish feeder and dispensary. Because you just never know when you'll need one, like last time they all just swam away...So long and Thanks for all the fish they said..and..What do you get for nothing? This product is not interchangeable with the Odder Otter Oyster Oscillator and will void all warranties and cause immense verbal diarrhea. Available at your local grocer. Only $19.99

Last edited:
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
3. Do it! I have driven a 700-4 without, and with. The one finger steering is the way to go. With your condtions, it should be top of your list.

4. Lots of options to restrain Bayleaf. Any decent pet store will have harnesses for her that lock her into the seatbelt. Very common in fullsize vehicles.

6. If super atv makes a flip up like the 1000, go that route.

Reactions: Mudwing and 100Acre
Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I need to add a spare tire also. And would really like a second battery as well.

I think I bought my spacers from SuperATV. Mine are 1 1/2". And I'm very happy with them. I used loctite on the threads and they have never given me any trouble.

Definatly do the power steering. I wish I would have done it sooner. It combined with the suicide knob make riding even the tightest trails so much easier.

The stock headlights are a joke. I upgraded the factory 862? bulbs to an 886 bulb which is only marginally brighter. A light bar is definatly needed for night rides. I picked up all my Auxbeam lights from Amazon for cheap.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I need to add a spare tire also. And would really like a second battery as well.

I think I bought my spacers from SuperATV. Mine are 1 1/2". And I'm very happy with them. I used loctite on the threads and they have never given me any trouble.

Definatly do the power steering. I wish I would have done it sooner. It combined with the suicide knob make riding even the tightest trails so much easier.

The stock headlights are a joke. I upgraded the factory 862? bulbs to an 886 bulb which is only marginally brighter. A light bar is definatly needed for night rides. I picked up all my Auxbeam lights from Amazon for cheap.
I wonder if there is some kind of brighter LED bulb for the stock headlights?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
So, after this last takeover, I decided I would add some mods and changes to the P5. This is my list I'm working on so far.I had thought long and hard about upgrading to a larger tire like 26 or 27's, but until the current 25' Bighorn originals are more wore down, I'm just gonna stick with them for now. Yes, more clearance would definitely welcome but other than riding at RRB, I've never had any issues with high
centering and the P5 performed nearly flawlessly over the past year as it sits. So,...

2. I'm wanting to get some spacers to help with the Floppiness and give her a wider more stable stance. I'd like to know what recommendations everyone has for widths and manufacturers and materials.

3. Power steering- I've got some issues with Carpel tunnel and arthritis so, while predominately steering with my left hand and holding the dog with the right ends up hurting my hand and wrist for days. I already had surgery on my right hand, wrist and elbow which now works better but, all in all, it set me back financially. So is the Tusk Power Steering worth the $500 price tag?
3.a) A suicide knob...?

4. Seat belts/Harness, shoulder strap padding for me and, or some type of harness for the dog that she cannot easily walk out of.

5. Secondary Battery for running winch and accessories plus all the wiring etc...

6. New flip up windshield. Since my last one snapped at RRB, I thought I'd get the 2 piece flip up one for better air flow and visibility when the shield is dirty.

7. Front bumper because the heavy-ass hi-lift on the front ain't cutting it, nor is it functioning correctly; I cannot get it to descend. Rear Bumper for Rear Crunchies.

8. I'm still on the fence about a bigger wifi sound bar and where to mount it.. There is very little head space for me in the p5 and even less if I ever have to wear a helmet.

9. Maybe look at a different way to store gear on the rear. The big box is nice but sometimes it makes you wanna bring more crap. Plus its often difficult getting a good look at what's behind you. I'm considering a bed with lower, shorter box. Must have space to mount or store a spare tire and preferably a lower COG.

10. Under seat storage and or under hood, I have that Tupperware box that fits under the hood but I'm always concerned it may have some issues like heat etc.

11. Move my 12v plug up to the dash. I don't like the hanging socket. Damaged danglers.

12. Big air horn. I liked the ones some of the guys had at the takeover. I used to have 2 on the roof of my '82 F-100.

13. I forgot.- Lights maybe? The stock headlights suck turds through an unwashed camel hair filter

14. Shocks. Should I go all around with upgrades or is there a better method to this madness?

15. Purposeful Porpoise fish feeder and dispensary. Because you just never know when you'll need one, like last time they all just swam away...So long and Thanks for all the fish they said..and..What do you get for nothing? This product is not interchangeable with the Odder Otter Oyster Oscillator and will void all warranties and cause immense verbal diarrhea .
I was thinking you said you did a lot of 50" trails out west, but the spacer questions seem to indicate otherwise. IMO...and I'm not trying to dis the 500 here...you're better served for what you are looking for by simply selling it/trading it on a 700/1000. Logans in WV has leftover 700/2 Deluxes for just over $9K (+ fees) that comes with P/S. If you think about it, that takes care of most of what you're talking about here.

Reactions: swsebek and 100Acre
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was thinking you said you did a lot of 50" trails out west, but the spacer questions seem to indicate otherwise. IMO...and I'm not trying to dis the 500 here...you're better served for what you are looking for by simply selling it/trading it on a 700/1000. Logans in WV has leftover 700/2 Deluxes for just over $9K (+ fees) that comes with P/S. If you think about it, that takes care of most of what you're talking about here.
Spacers are easily removed if needed.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Spacers are easily removed if needed.
True.
Expensive aftermarket shocks, big storage box, and other stuff to help get a 500 anywhere near the larger machines from a ride/storage standpoint, not so much.
If there are a lot of 50" trails...well, there is no choice but to proceed, but if thats not the case, there are other options.

@100Acre, if you're going to stay with 25", I'd think the 1.5" spacers would be nice. You could always sell them later if you want to go wider still.

Reactions: 100Acre
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Believe me, I'd love a larger machine, but the expense of a new machine far outweighs the costs of some upgrades. Besides I'll not buy another machine until I see the mythical Talon and if one day one exists that I can fit in better, then I'll upgrade. At this point, all the pioneers have nearly the same crappy left leg room.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's something I've been playing around with; trying to make some type of mounted yet foldable foot peg for my left foot and leg. The cramped space plays hell on my knee! It would be a welcome mod for longer trail and road rides where the conditions are not so hazardous and its possible to ride with the door open. Just bending my leg at the knee to fit inside the P5 can be fairly excruciating at times. Contemplating knee replacement.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Believe me, I'd love a larger machine, but the expense of a new machine far outweighs the costs of some upgrades. Besides I'll not buy another machine until I see the mythical Talon and if one day one exists that I can fit in better, then I'll upgrade. At this point, all the pioneers have nearly the same crappy left leg room.
I agree, but what are the returns on those upgrades? Will a WE shock equipped 500 ride as good as a stock 700/1000? I doubt it. ( I used to complain the 700 didn't ride very well unloaded. I will NEVER do that again! ). I also find your observation about legroom interesting. The 700 had way more left legroom than my 500, but i agree they are all tight. Esp for you!!!

I guess what I'm saying is that if your goal is a certain point, it makes more sense to start at or near that point than to pump money into something that may never reach that point. Good luck with that Talon thing...

Did you like @CumminsPusher's Wolverine?

I'd like to see someone do a bed for the 500 that replaces the rack and mounts on those 4 points where it mounts. That way you can drop it down on the chassis a little lower for COG and view.

What about a 2 tier rear rack like the little mule jobs for Polaris?
Rzrrack

You'd have to have it fabbed by somebody, but make it aluminum and put light stuff like tents up top so it doesn't get too top heavy.

I've seen front racks over the hood, but those would block vision too much for my liking...

advertisement
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you like @CumminsPusher's Wolverine?
Yes it was a awesome when I was in it, but I didn't get to experience it enough to remember that much about it. I believe the leg room was more roomy though.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The other thing is...seems like those "pure sport" machines are coming with less-and-less of an actual bed. I'm a pack rat, even on day trips. I love that big old bed. Well...i loved that big ole bed.
Believe me on this as well, not having a larger bed on the back of the p5 is certainly lacking but I guess you can only stretch one so far and then it becomes something else. Instead of Talon we could call it the Eggbeater 5000, because that's what it pretty much is at this point.

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3.a) A suicide knob...?

15. Snorkel for both intake and exhaust.

16. Purposeful Porpoise fish feeder and dispensary. Because you just never know when you'll need one, like last time they all just swam away...So long and Thanks for all the fish they said..and..What do you get for nothing? This product is not interchangeable with the Odder Otter Oyster Oscillator and will void all warranties and cause immense verbal diarrhea .
I dont know what the hell #16 is on the list, but hell, i want one too! Lol

luckymike

luckymike

Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2016
michigan
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!