PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
i just turn up the boost with elevation. :)
On my sled........
EXACTLY!!! Finally, someone that understands physics. I think STEM is a total failure!

your close but not quite exactly like that. if the bike pop off/limit is at 15 psi of boosts itll turn 15 psi no matter what altitude its at. 29.7 or 27.5 psi doesnt really matter. basically its starter numbers on an even bigger equation. the oxygen % in the air is the real equation. from 20.9% to what?. that % difference is what percentage the motor will differ after you input it into the 2.2% change in the full atmospheric pressure.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Oxygen content in the atmosphere is always 20.9% at ALL altitudes and all pressures (unless you enhance it with NOS or something). Even at 30,000 feet where the atmospheric pressure is only 4.36 psi it is still 20.9% so I am not sure I understand what you are trying to say.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
EXACTLY!!! Finally, someone that understands physics. I think STEM is a total failure!

Oxygen content in the atmosphere is always 20.9% at ALL altitudes and all pressures (unless you enhance it with NOS or something). Even at 30,000 feet where the atmospheric pressure is only 4.36 psi it is still 20.9% so I am not sure I understand what you are trying to say.
try again 39c32c29467dbb691e6a861501aa3538

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
this is why airplanes have oxygen incase of release of cabin pressure. hypoxia at high altitudes

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
try againView attachment 175130

That chart is misleading. It relates to the body's ability to saturate oxygen with each breath, not the actual oxygen content in the atmosphere. The atmosphere contains 20.9% oxygen at all altitudes and that is a scientific fact, not some advertiser's extrapolated BS to get you to buy their product.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
That chart is misleading. It relates to the body's ability to saturate oxygen with each breath, not the actual oxygen content in the atmosphere. The atmosphere contains 20.9% oxygen at all altitudes and that is a scientific fact, not some advertiser's extrapolated BS to get you to buy their product.
if your talking about engines which would you rely on more? the 20.9% you talking about is relative to the amount of space taken up at altitude by the same amount of space at sea level. useable oxygen for a motor is the same as useable oxygen for an animal. because just like an engine. out lungs are only capable of flowing the same amount of volume at either altitude. for scuentific study of other atmospheric things sure 20.9 will work great . but for formulating motor effeciency at altitude. its not.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
if your talking about engines which would you rely on more? the 20.9% you talking about is relative to the amount of space taken up at altitude by the same amount of space at sea level. useable oxygen for a motor is the same as useable oxygen for an animal. because just like an engine. out lungs are only capable of flowing the same amount of volume at either altitude. for scuentific study of other atmospheric things sure 20.9 will work great . but for formulating motor effeciency at altitude. its not.

20.9% is what it is and doesn't ever change. It is a constant that needs no adjusting, it is alway 20.9% no matter what. You are the one that inserted that number into this conversation, not me. Then you posted some BS that the oxygen percentage drops with altitude, not me. Then you told me to "try again". Try as I might, you don't seem to understand common physics and simple math.

The biggest culprit that altitude poses it pressure, not oxygen PERCENTAGE of the incoming air. If you are talking about the actual amount of air (including the 20.9% oxygen) that the engine can intake then that is a totally different story and that is measured in cubic X (liters, feet, etc), not oxygen percentage. This is where the pressure comes into play. An engine (and human for that matter) can draw in more dense air if the pressure is higher and in turn can get more oxygen molecules but that air still only contains 20.9% oxygen.

That brings us full circle. We all live in a pressure. Sea Level is 14.7, 5000 feet is 12.5. When you go full throttle, that pressure is all on the intake ports and pushes the air into the engine. The engine doesn't suck the air in like many believe, the atmosphere pushes it in.

When it comes to pressure on a gauge, zero isn't really zero. A gauge that reads zero at seal level is off by 14.7 psi and a boost gauge that reads 15 psi at seal level is also off by 14.7 psi. 15 psi boost at sea level is really 29.7 psi but that would confuse everyone so we always start at 0.

Think of the atmospheric pressure at sea level as a 14.7 psi turbo pushing in 250 CFM at full throttle. At 5000 feet the 12.5 psi can only push in the equivalent of 213 CFM. Less air, less oxygen, less power. Now add 15 psi of boost from a turbo, the pressure at the intake at sea level is now 29.7 and (theoretically) you can now push the equivalent of 505 CFM but at 5000 feet the 15 psi boosted pressure is only 27.5 psi which will (theoretically) allow the equivalent of 468 CFM. Again, less CFM, less oxygen and less power. To (theoretically) get the same CFM, oxygen and power at 5000 feet, you would need to adjust your boost up to 17.2 psi. Of course, these numbers are all just examples under perfect conditions and the real numbers will be very different but the effect will be similar.

Again, unless there is a way to fiddle with the boost, a Turbo Talon will make less HP at 5000 feet. My educated/experienced guess is it will be around 10-12% less power. A dyno will confirm if I am right or wrong.

Last edited:
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
a flow meter would prove you wrong. like i said in the begining your close. but its not right. a 250cfm will push 250 cfm at 0 ft or 5000ft. or 30,000 ft. unless you somehow magically change piston size and stroke. problem is your trying to adjust for altitude on the cfm range when it doesnt change just so it meets your standards. problem is 1 cf of air at 0ft doesnt occupy the same space at 5000ft. it should be about 1.176 cf in that 1.176 cubic ft of air there is the same amount of oxygen and everything else as there is at 0ft and 1 cf of air. thats where the oxygen efficiency comes in. youll see a 14.97 % difference in the talon from 0 to 5k.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
a flow meter would prove you wrong. like i said in the begining your close. but its not right. a 250cfm will push 250 cfm at 0 ft or 5000ft. or 30,000 ft. unless you somehow magically change piston size and stroke. problem is your trying to adjust for altitude on the cfm range when it doesnt change just so it meets your standards. problem is 1 cf of air at 0ft doesnt occupy the same space at 5000ft. it should be about 1.176 cf in that 1.176 cubic ft of air there is the same amount of oxygen and everything else as there is at 0ft and 1 cf of air. thats where the oxygen efficiency comes in. youll see a 14.97 % difference in the talon from 0 to 5k.

Yup, I mixed up volume and mass and I'm wrong. You are 100% correct. Whatever you say.

Please, no one listen to a damn thing I have posted. My usefulness has run its course here.

Bye.

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
This went beyond my scientific knowledge regarding oxygen in the air. I also don't know much about turbos, but from what I've read here, it sounds like the smaller turbos spool up faster. Does that mean they have more effect at lower RPM? I'm not completely clear on what "spooling up" actually means, though it sounds intuitive. I am guessing it means the time to build up pressure.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
This went beyond my scientific knowledge regarding oxygen in the air. I also don't know much about turbos, but from what I've read here, it sounds like the smaller turbos spool up faster. Does that mean they have more effect at lower RPM? I'm not completely clear on what "spooling up" actually means, though it sounds intuitive. I am guessing it means the time to build up pressure.
it is . smaller turbos require less volume to spin/spool up to speed. but they also do not move as much volume. so depending on the size vs the motor size. is what will determine what rpms the turbo is most effective. i know this. but i dont know the formulas required to make the matching for it.

Reactions: Dirtman36
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I am sorry but this a very interesting conversation!! In debates a silent observer (like me:p) can learn a lot!!
So if I am following both of you.....1 is saying that at different elevations the actual intake psi changes due to the atmospheric pressure changes at different elevations and that leads to the power loss. The 2 is saying that the intake psi is not changing but the oxygen % in the air changes at different elevations and that is the power loss.

Is that kind of the cliff notes version?o_O

This stuff is interesting to me! Thanks

Reactions: Alan_Vander
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
somewhat. the intake pressure is changing. i agree with that part and with the part that oxygen in air is 20.9 constant.
he is saying psi difference in the air is whats causing the power loss.
im saying oxygen amount in each stroke is less causing less power(combustion)

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
in reality we both are very close to saying the same exact thing. actually if he would agree about the oxygen efficiency. he would be saying close to the same exact thing except worded way differently.

WasabiAZ

WasabiAZ

Nov 7, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Ok - so.... 28” tires are the right balance for a mix of different altitudes? Interesting thread - but it seemed to get lost in the weeds of pressure and what-not. As someone who was considering some 32” tires this thread made me reconsider - but I’m not really sure where it has ended up. LOL

Say 32” in low altitude. And 25” or something in high altitude? So 28” for those of us that mix the two without having to have sooo many spares laying around the garage? :)

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
Ok - so.... 28” tires are the right balance for a mix of different altitudes? Interesting thread - but it seemed to get lost in the weeds of pressure and what-not. As someone who was considering some 32” tires this thread made me reconsider - but I’m not really sure where it has ended up. LOL

Say 32” in low altitude. And 25” or something in high altitude? So 28” for those of us that mix the two without having to have sooo many spares laying around the garage? :)
There is a Honda Talon Southwest group on Facebook. A lot of the guys on that page are in Arizona and most of them run 32s.

WasabiAZ

WasabiAZ

Nov 7, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4
There is a Honda Talon Southwest group on Facebook. A lot of the guys on that page are in Arizona and most of them run 32s.

Thanks! I think I’ll end up with 32s after my trail ride this weekend. I ended up on a trail with some big river rocks that definitely were scratching/hitting the bottom. With the long wheelbase of the x4 an extra 2” of clearance would pretty much have avoided the majority of that. Also need to put in some serious thought into the bottom skid and nerf bars. :) But the tires are likely the most impactful to avoiding those in the first place.

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
I got a Trail Armour skid plate and A-arm guards. I think TA is the only company making a skid for the X4 right now. And that's fine because Trail Armour and Factory UTV brand skids are considered the best two skid brands. I really like the TA skid because it comes with built-in rock sliders. There is a piece of steel that mounts to the rocker panel and the skid comes out over it. Sticks out about 1.5 inches out from the body. It's pricey but well worth it. I hit bottom plenty even with the 32s. You actually lose a bit of ground clearance withe the skid plate since it's 1/2 inch thick. I would be crying after my last ride if I did not have the skid plate. In fact, I was simply not going to ride it anywhere other than the track until I got the skid. The engine case also sits very low in the frame and it needs protection as well. Factory UTV sells an additional aluminum plate to sandwich between the skid and the frame at that location, but I don't think it's necessary with the 1/2 skid.

The A-arm guards might be a little overkill, but I want that stuff to slide rather than getting hung up. I'll miss that if I ever get the forward A-arms to fit larger tires. I think some 34s would be dam nice if ever get the turbo!

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks! I think I’ll end up with 32s after my trail ride this weekend. I ended up on a trail with some big river rocks that definitely were scratching/hitting the bottom. With the long wheelbase of the x4 an extra 2” of clearance would pretty much have avoided the majority of that. Also need to put in some serious thought into the bottom skid and nerf bars. :) But the tires are likely the most impactful to avoiding those in the first place.

I just mounted 32's on my 1000R yesterday, the extra height will be very welcome on the trail. I recently installed the Trail Armor full skids with rock sliders and now I feel a little more at ease when riding the rocky stuff.

Reactions: HavasuDave
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Elevation, unless you’ve got wings on that Talon Wasabi......:)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!