Talon my 32" tire opinion

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
I just mounted 32's on my 1000R yesterday, the extra height will be very welcome on the trail. I recently installed the Trail Armor full skids with rock sliders and now I feel a little more at ease when riding the rocky stuff.
Which tires did you go with? Love to hear what you think after you have some seat time with them. Thanks

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
I enjoyed the discussions too! I think the confusion came from mixing oxygen content and pressure altitude. A manifold pressure gauge (intake) will read around 30" at sea level, with the engine off. That pressure decreases as you gain altitude. The air is thinner. Airplanes with turbochargers / turbo normalized , can deliver sea level pressure up to a certain altitude based on boost. Above that the horse power declines. Just as it does in our Talons, cars and trucks.

The cabins in pressurized aircraft can maintain sea level pressure up to certain altitudes, but in the 30,000 ft levels, depending on the aircraft, the cabin pressure is at about 8500' level. All they are doing is bringing in outside air and pressurizing the cabin to what ever the aircraft is designed to, perhaps as high as 9 psi.

Last edited:
Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Which tires did you go with? Love to hear what you think after you have some seat time with them. Thanks

I mounted 32x10x15 Tusk Terrabite radials on STI HD9's. I have the 6+1 offset up front and the 4+3 in the rear. Track width is very close with no need for spacers.

I've only gotten to try them on the street in my neighborhood, not on the trail yet so I'll try to update when I've logged some trail miles on them.

IMG 20200118 111410 X2

Reactions: HavasuDave
HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
I mounted 32x10x15 Tusk Terrabite radials on STI HD9's. I have the 6+1 offset up front and the 4+3 in the rear. Track width is very close with no need for spacers.

I've only gotten to try them on the street in my neighborhood, not on the trail yet so I'll try to update when I've logged some trail miles on them.

View attachment 177524
I will be interested if you have any trouble with keeping air in the tires. Are they the light weight Kevlar or?

Love the wheels. If I had seen those before I bought mine, I would have liked to try them.

Thanks.

Reactions: Lil_Steve
Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I will be interested if you have any trouble with keeping air in the tires. Are they the light weight Kevlar or?

Love the wheels. If I had seen those before I bought mine, I would have liked to try them.

Thanks.

The tires are the radial, not the Aramid Kevlar version. I was about to reply that after being aired up for over a week, they've not lost any air although it hasn't been trail ridden yet. I decided to check actual pressures and it seems one is holding the same amount I initially aired them up to (16psi) and 3 of them are at 14.5psi. So they've lost 1.5 psi over the course of less than 2 weeks. It's something I'll have to keep an eye on and glad your post resulted in me actually checking instead of saying "they look ok"!

Reactions: HavasuDave and CID
Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4

View attachment 177524

Is your width more or less the same as stock?

I have an x but I believe the wheels are the same, and I'd like to not go too much wider. I was hoping the common 5+2 all around would keep me about the same in the rear and maybe a little wider in the front.

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Is your width more or less the same as stock?

I have an x but I believe the wheels are the same, and I'd like to not go too much wider. I was hoping the common 5+2 all around would keep me about the same in the rear and maybe a little wider in the front.

The end result is a little bit wider. My actual measurements are as follows...

Stock front wheels and tires the outer sidewall to outer sidewall on the front measured 62 3/4" and the rear was 68"

With the STI wheels the front outer sidewall to outer sidewall now measures 69" and the rear is at 70"

I also believe the wheels on the X are the same but don't know if the track width is different from the R.

Member @PaulF has some really good info that he's shared in this post that helped me decide what wheel combo to go with.

Talon - Tusk Terrabite 30x10x15

Reactions: HavasuDave
Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
The end result is a little bit wider. My actual measurements are as follows...

Stock front wheels and tires the outer sidewall to outer sidewall on the front measured 62 3/4" and the rear was 68"

With the STI wheels the front outer sidewall to outer sidewall now measures 69" and the rear is at 70"

I also believe the wheels on the X are the same but don't know if the track width is different from the R.

Member @PaulF has some really good info that he's shared in this post that helped me decide what wheel combo to go with.

Talon - Tusk Terrabite 30x10x15

I'm sorry, but there is no way you gained 6 1/4" of width in the front with . I'm guessing that's a typo.

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm sorry, but there is no way you gained 6 1/4" of width in the front with . I'm guessing that's a typo.

You're probably right, I don't have the tires mounted on the stock wheels to double check, it's what I wrote down but it wouldn't be the first time my brain and body miscommunicate. According to PaulF's post the STI 6+1 offset in front should result in a 1.3" wider width overall. I just double checked and my STI 6+1 fronts are 69" wide. What's the stock X's front width measure?

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
You're probably right, I don't have the tires mounted on the stock wheels to double check, it's what I wrote down but it wouldn't be the first time my brain and body miscommunicate. According to PaulF's post the STI 6+1 offset in front should result in a 1.3" wider width overall. I just double checked and my STI 6+1 fronts are 69" wide. What's the stock X's front width measure?

I'm not near the machine, but they are supposed to be 64"

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
64 inches. But that 1.3 will be at the rim outside edge. Run a 10 inch wide tire on 7 inch wide rim and you can stack 3 more inches to that.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
hum do i respond to the air pressure, boost, oxygen part of this thread, or the tires portion of it.
I live in AZ, at 7000 ft. i have 32, is it a little slower? maybe. if i were racing it i'd be running 30's but i'm not, and you'd need a stop watch to see the difference from the 28 to the 32's its really not that bog of a deal. i ride from 12K to seal level and the machine does just fine with the 32's.
as for the pissing match over all the oxygen and pre4ssures and what not, really? like get over it, agree to disagree. why have a argument on here for that? brought down the thread. should have stayed to tires.
IMO!!!

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
64 inches. But that 1.3 will be at the rim outside edge. Run a 10 inch wide tire on 7 inch wide rim and you can stack 3 more inches to that.

I made a whole thread on this, as not to clutter up a bunch of other threads. But no, a 6+1 should actually be a hair narrower sine the stock fronts are basically a 5.25+1.25. Adding a 10" tire probably negates that, but it should not be 4-5" wider by any means.

Reactions: Alan_Vander
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
hum do i respond to the air pressure, boost, oxygen part of this thread, or the tires portion of it.
I live in AZ, at 7000 ft. i have 32, is it a little slower? maybe. if i were racing it i'd be running 30's but i'm not, and you'd need a stop watch to see the difference from the 28 to the 32's its really not that bog of a deal. i ride from 12K to seal level and the machine does just fine with the 32's.
as for the pissing match over all the oxygen and pre4ssures and what not, really? like get over it, agree to disagree. why have a argument on here for that? brought down the thread. should have stayed to tires.
IMO!!!

haha it’s funny you see the discussions on oxygen and pressures as a “big thing” it all happened 2 weeks ago.
Everyone who participated is over it. (Except you)

thanks for your input on 32’s.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
I made a whole thread on this, as not to clutter up a bunch of other threads. But no, a 6+1 should actually be a hair narrower sine the stock fronts are basically a 5.25+1.25. Adding a 10" tire probably negates that, but it should not be 4-5" wider by any means.
Ah yeah. The offset thing always gets me. Then outside of tire would be the most at 3 inches. Unless he put spacers but i didnt see any mention in that above.

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R

Just a first impression, got about 120 miles total today. Not as nimble as the stock set up, but turns well and the extra ground clearance is welcome. I temporarily put the wheels from my Teryx (29x10-15 ITP Ultracross') on my Talon and they understeered and wallowed badly, none of that with the Terrabites on the HD9's.
Started out at 14psi (20 miles of pavement), lowered to 12 on the gravel but still felt a little skittish. Lowered to 9psi in the rocks, had my buddy on his bike looking at the deflection, he says it was minimal.
These tires are much stiffer than the stock tires, so depending on the terrain, I'll be running 8-10psi. I'd be comfortable running lower if I'm rock crawling. There's some fast 2 track stuff that I sometimes ride that should give me good steering feedback, I'll try to get out there next week.

Here's a portion of what we rode today...

Relive 'Cherry Creek Rd'

Reactions: CID and HavasuDave
HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Just a first impression, got about 120 miles total today. Not as nimble as the stock set up, but turns well and the extra ground clearance is welcome. I temporarily put the wheels from my Teryx (29x10-15 ITP Ultracross') on my Talon and they understeered and wallowed badly, none of that with the Terrabites on the HD9's.
Started out at 14psi (20 miles of pavement), lowered to 12 on the gravel but still felt a little skittish. Lowered to 9psi in the rocks, had my buddy on his bike looking at the deflection, he says it was minimal.
These tires are much stiffer than the stock tires, so depending on the terrain, I'll be running 8-10psi. I'd be comfortable running lower if I'm rock crawling. There's some fast 2 track stuff that I sometimes ride that should give me good steering feedback, I'll try to get out there next week.

Here's a portion of what we rode today...

Relive 'Cherry Creek Rd'
I hadn’t seen relive before, that was pretty cool!

Reactions: Lil_Steve

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!