P500 My Cargo Box Build

C

Chooglin

I started building a cargo box today and thought I would begin a thread of my daily progress.
As you can see, the basic shape of the box is done but I have a long way to go yet.
I will be adding a door/hatch on the top for access and extend the roll cage around the box.

I will be fiber-glassing the entire box and possibly using gel-coat on it (not sure about gel-coat yet).

My next step will be adding some bracing inside the box for strength ,and some dividers to keep my cooler separate from the rest of the junk I will be putting in there.

Cargo box 1 Cargo bo 2 Cargo box 3

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@Chooglin Lookin good so far keep us posted!

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
I like the way you have tapered the base & sloped the lid. Are you planning to have hanging brackets over the exposed areas of the rack?

C

Chooglin

I like the way you have tapered the base & sloped the lid. Are you planning to have hanging brackets over the exposed areas of the rack?
Never really thought about that ,but great Idea !!!

C

Chooglin

Slowly making some progress !! The inside of the box is finished and now I am working on the top of it.
as soon as I get the door made up ,it will be ready for fiber-glass .

When I get the box completely finished, I will start on the roll bar !!!

Cargo box 5

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I came up with the idea to do this, when I came across this pic. on the Webb .
The box in this pic. cost $500.00 , so I figured I could make one myself , for a lot less!!!

Cool idea but you don't need to store that many CVT belts do you? :D

advertisement
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
A lot of work it is, but its rewarding and it keeps me busy !!!!

My wife says the only reason I bought it ,was so I would have something to work on.

Well when you have it set up like you want just buy a used RZR with 4K miles on it. You will then always have something to work on and when you get tired of that ride your Honda :p

C

Chooglin

Box is all finished !!!

After sanding down the fiberglass , I decided to leave it "as is" and skip the body filler.I really like the textured look of the fiberglass !!

Before I move on to the roll bar , I decided to install a snorkel and run the intake in to the cargo box.I will be installing a prefilter somewhere on the top of the box,to draw air in !!!

Cargo box 8 Cargo box 10 Cargo box 11

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@Chooglin Looking good, nice handiwork. Thanks for sharing

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
I like the look too! my question is how will it be to clean? just a thought!

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Lmao!! ok well use that super clean that @joeymt33 was talking about I tried it and it works great on porous surfaces!

Timmy

Timmy

May 22, 2016
Elkview, West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
Box is all finished !!!

After sanding down the fiberglass , I decided to leave it "as is" and skip the body filler.I really like the textured look of the fiberglass !!

Before I move on to the roll bar , I decided to install a snorkel and run the intake in to the cargo box.I will be installing a prefilter somewhere on the top of the box,to draw air in !!!

View attachment 6098 View attachment 6099 View attachment 6100
Chooglin, maybe you should build and sell these boxes too. You are a master craftsman.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!