Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
So I recently was in the market for a new welding helmet to replace my tractor supply hood. For a long time I thought auto darkening hoods were more or less created equal, with minor differences such as lens size and graphics (so not true!) but I decided I would treat myself to a nice one this time, it had to have a clarity rating of 1/1/1/1 (best possible), and be somewhere around the $300 range. I narrowed it down to either an Optrel Vegaview 2.5 or a Lincoln 3350 with 4c lens.

After reading a ton of reviews and watching countless YouTube videos, I decided on the Lincoln. I think the Optrel is probably a great hood too but the 4c lens concept won me over. And let me tell you, WOW!! I can’t believe the clarity! Plus the “true color” looks great, no more green tint on everything. But there’s more, the headgear on this baby is super comfortable too! All for less than $300 with no graphics (which I doubt make me a better welder anyway)

I really had no idea a quality welding helmet would make such a big difference. But take my word for it,they do. I know we have a lot of guys who weld here so if you’re squinting through a cheapo auto darkening hood I’m telling you go buy a good one, you won’t be sorry!!

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Amazing that you really do get what you pay for!

And just think that you're now ready for the next solar eclipse!

Reactions: Tflynn
Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
So I recently was in the market for a new welding helmet to replace my tractor supply hood. For a long time I thought auto darkening hoods were more or less created equal, with minor differences such as lens size and graphics (so not true!) but I decided I would treat myself to a nice one this time, it had to have a clarity rating of 1/1/1/1 (best possible), and be somewhere around the $300 range. I narrowed it down to either an Optrel Vegaview 2.5 or a Lincoln 3350 with 4c lens.

After reading a ton of reviews and watching countless YouTube videos, I decided on the Lincoln. I think the Optrel is probably a great hood too but the 4c lens concept won me over. And let me tell you, WOW!! I can’t believe the clarity! Plus the “true color” looks great, no more green tint on everything. But there’s more, the headgear on this baby is super comfortable too! All for less than $300 with no graphics (which I doubt make me a better welder anyway)

I really had no idea a quality welding helmet would make such a big difference. But take my word for it,they do. I know we have a lot of guys who weld here so if you’re squinting through a cheapo auto darkening hood I’m telling you go buy a good one, you won’t be sorry!!

I agree I went to same one and it floored me how much better it was than my old cheapo

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
I agree I went to same one and it floored me how much better it was than my old cheapo
Well, I've been using "old cheapo" for years, and was wondering if the expensive ones would be much better. I think I'll look for a high quality one, thanks for the info guys! My old eyes can't take many more "almost" flashes!

D

DDDonkey

I have a cheap one I used for years and then last year I upgraded welders and got a new helmet and the difference is night and day. I got the Miller POW helmet and the difference in the shade is unreal! Congrats on the upgrade!

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
@Tflynn
I hope you still like the shield.I went with no graphics too.Havent tried it yet but over all weight is good. Not sure if I like the hinging adjustment part.
IMG 6592

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

And here I was all happy and content with my cheap Hobart... guess I’m gunna have to do some looking!

Reactions: JACKAL
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I can't believe that you are even going to consider welding without the graphics. Everybody knows that a skull on the side will make your hands more steady.

I have a miller. It is mid quality and only a year old.
The problem is, the sensor if finicky and will occasionally fail to trip, leaving me staring at an arc. I have to press the reset button to get it to start working again.

I think I am going to get a new one (even though this one isn't old).

BTW: I keep a stack of clear plastic outer shields for mine. They are about a dollar and it makes a world of difference. I get them at my local welding shop.

Reactions: JTW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!