P500 My pet peeve with the 500

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I know Honda did this to transfer the wt. of the driver to the center of machine to aid against roll over,but if they had made the seat 2" wider on the drivers side,like they did on the passenger side you would be sitting behind the steering wheel instead of being 2" off center from it. It would also make it comfortable for foot placement for the gas pedal and allow more shoulder room,although this has never been an issue for us ,but I know it is for others.Maybe its just me having been a machinist and the need to have everything perfect there is no way when I made the back seats for mine that they would have been off center
I feel better now!!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I felt this too when I set in the 500. Just seemed odd. But didn't know if it was the new machine fell or not.

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I felt this too when I set in the 500. Just seemed odd. But didn't know if it was the new machine fell or not.
I've noticed this since the day I got it,they moved the headrest and seat over 2" but the seatbelts are centered with the machine,I think this is why my wife has problems with the shoulder harness digging into her neck.I wonder how many people didn't realize this?
Now I gave them a pet peeve too!

J

JTW

I've noticed this since the day I got it,they moved the headrest and seat over 2" but the seatbelts are centered with the machine,I think this is why my wife has problems with the shoulder harness digging into her neck.I wonder how many people didn't realize this?
Now I gave them a pet peeve too!
Thanks a lot guy!!

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
On mine the doors never shut to second catch unless I hit them hard after the initial latch. Also doors rattle and heat coming up in the center seat area is a nuisance. No e steering is just silly too.... Least there are fixes for all of them it's a great little machine.

j

Reactions: Moose308
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
You make a good point, but I feel the ergonomics are pretty dang good on these little machines considering the price point and the size of the 500. I'm 6'0" tall and it fits me pretty good - which surprised me.

If you compare it to my dads Ranger 570 crew, the Pioneer is obviously better engineered as far as ergonomics. The pedal placement and the position of the steering wheel are horrible on that Polaris. And I don't feel like I'm going to fall out of the Honda at any given moment, like I do from the drivers seat of the polaris.

My pet peeve is all the noises and vibrations that the P500 makes. I'm really bad about letting every little noise bother me... I always feel like something must be wrong. Have you ever taken the P500 up a steep hill on a paved road in 4th at wide open? and then shifted to 5th? When its steep enough that you need to have the pedal to the floor to maintain speed or accelerate slightly in those conditions there is so much vibration noise it's ridiculous!

Reactions: iowaguy
advertisement
sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
On mine the doors never shut to second catch unless I hit them hard after the initial latch. Also doors rattle and heat coming up in the center seat area is a nuisance. No e steering is just silly too.... Least there are fixes for all of them it's a great little machine.

j

You can adjust the catch with a crescent wrench so it hits the 2nd latch...I think they all come from the factory out of adjustment. Its really easy and no more rattles!

Reactions: Moose308 and rocmar
iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
You make a good point, but I feel the ergonomics are pretty dang good on these little machines considering the price point and the size of the 500. I'm 6'0" tall and it fits me pretty good - which surprised me.

If you compare it to my dads Ranger 570 crew, the Pioneer is obviously better engineered as far as ergonomics. The pedal placement and the position of the steering wheel are horrible on that Polaris. And I don't feel like I'm going to fall out of the Honda at any given moment, like I do from the drivers seat of the polaris.

My pet peeve is all the noises and vibrations that the P500 makes. I'm really bad about letting every little noise bother me... I always feel like something must be wrong. Have you ever taken the P500 up a steep hill on a paved road in 4th at wide open? and then shifted to 5th? When its steep enough that you need to have the pedal to the floor to maintain speed or accelerate slightly in those conditions there is so much vibration noise it's ridiculous!
Wife and I went out this weekend on hilly paved road, l know axactly what you are talking about!!! But on the other hand our friends were on an rzr,at one of our stops they were looking under it for a stick they were dragging making noise,turned out the rear cv joints were shoot,they have 2500 miles on it. I guess I can put up with a little vibration from my Honda.

Last edited:
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

Turn up the tunes

M

maddmax

Feb 12, 2015
Clarksdale Ms.
Ownership

1. 500
You can adjust the catch with a crescent wrench so it hits the 2nd latch...I think they all come from the factory out of adjustment. Its really easy and no more rattles!
TELL ME MORE ON LATCH ADJUSTMENT,THESE THINGS RATTLE ME CRAZY.

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
It may be a case where you are not slamming it hard enough to get to the second catch on the latch ,I have mine set so you have to slam it hard,but I get no rattles at all when driving.

Reactions: rocmar
H

HondaTech

I rode one extensively awhile back and the lack of place to put my left foot bugged the hell out of me. This was my only issue with the unit that wasn't readily an easy fix.

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015

Just take a crescent wrench and bend the bracket that holds the rubber stops in so it hits 2nd latch.

Reactions: JCart
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!