P1000 Need Help! - Lower front Ball Joint Circlip

Carleton

Carleton

Nov 28, 2014
Utah
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
The diagram online only shows a circlip for the upper front a-arm. I'm putting on Highlighter arms and I need the circlip for the lower balljoint. Is it not required for the lowers? One of mine had one on and the other did not.

Reactions: BWAF
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Circlip is CHEAP insurance if you are re-using ball joints.
Typically, press in ball joints are one and done. Some have had luck re-using, some have not @my99svt

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Looks like the lower ball joint did not have a clip from the factory.
Part #8 is listed as a WASHER, THRUST (12MM).

For the 1000's the clips was included in the 2016, but not 2017/18's.

D067beb43feb19e93876bd762797d1ed3f88b1fb

Carleton

Carleton

Nov 28, 2014
Utah
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Typically, press in ball joints are one and done. Some have had luck re-using, some have not @my99svt
Looks like the lower ball joint did not have a clip from the factory.
Part #8 is listed as a WASHER, THRUST (12MM).

For the 1000's the clips was included in the 2016, but not 2017/18's.

View attachment 75681

Yes, that was my question! Does everyone think I'm ok without the clips then?

Carleton

Carleton

Nov 28, 2014
Utah
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

I've put in brand new ball joints, but don't see the lower circlips on the diagram. the uppers have them but not the lowers.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Honda sure seems to think you are ok. I think so too.
It's not going to pull out like the top can.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just looked at your diagram. I was wrong in my statement. You would have to pull the joint apart before it ever fell out of the lower BJ.

Carleton

Carleton

Nov 28, 2014
Utah
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

What has everyone else done with highlighter and supertax arms when installing the new balljoints? Sorry if I seem a little nervous, just want to do it right while I've got it apart. Pressing those balljoints into the HL arms was a huge pain!

Reactions: Lance-m and BWAF
J

JTW

I’ll be doing mine this week.. I ordered enough c clips to do them all.. we’ll see how it goes though

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Seems like they would build both joints this way.
If the upper was similar, it may not leave enough clearance for the CV shaft?
Or you would have to remove CV shaft somehow to disconnect the ball joint.

Reactions: JTW and BWAF
Carleton

Carleton

Nov 28, 2014
Utah
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I’ll be doing mine this week.. I ordered enough c clips to do them all.. we’ll see how it goes though

Just got my highlighter arms installed. Is it me or are these things crap? The shock mount on the arm makes your force the shock forward to get it in there. My shocks are angled forward rather than up and down. That is the bottom of the shock is more towards the front of the vehicle than the top. These forward arms were built without considering keeping the shock mount in the same place. So it torques the shock and my front shocks won't even compress. My articulation will be zero. Did I do something wrong or is this a design flaw? It seems the superatv arms have the shock mount in the proper place. Can anyone let me know if you've had this problem?

J

JTW

Just got my highlighter arms installed. Is it me or are these things crap? The shock mount on the arm makes your force the shock forward to get it in there. My shocks are angled forward rather than up and down. That is the bottom of the shock is more towards the front of the vehicle than the top. These forward arms were built without considering keeping the shock mount in the same place. So it torques the shock and my front shocks won't even compress. My articulation will be zero. Did I do something wrong or is this a design flaw? It seems the superatv arms have the shock mount in the proper place. Can anyone let me know if you've had this problem?
Wish I could help.. I’m still waiting on ball joints to put mine together. But I don’t think anyone has had this issue with the SATV’s. And I can’t think of anyone offhand that has used the HL arms.
@Windrock1000 @snuffnwhisky @ohanacreek @joeymt33 @Hondasxs

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Do u have the uppers on the wrong side? Pics?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wish I could help.. I’m still waiting on ball joints to put mine together. But I don’t think anyone has had this issue with the SATV’s. And I can’t think of anyone offhand that has used the HL arms.
@Windrock1000 @snuffnwhisky @ohanacreek @joeymt33 @Hondasxs

I have SATV and clips on upper and lower no issues other than bushings on the upper front arms. I should have lubed them better.

I think @zmnypit may have highlifter arms....

Carleton

Carleton

Nov 28, 2014
Utah
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Do u have the uppers on the wrong side? Pics?

Check out the pics. I believe its installed correctly. But on the one you can see two white lines i've added representing the stock angle(ish) and the current more forward angle of the shock due to the shock mount. My front shocks aren't even going up or down when I bounce on the front end. Is there anything else that would cause this? Seems like all the units running the HL arms have the shocks angled forward like this.

IMG 4561 IMG 4563 IMG 4564 IMG 4566 IMG 4563

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Check out the pics. I believe its installed correctly. But on the one you can see two white lines i've added representing the stock angle(ish) and the current more forward angle of the shock due to the shock mount. My front shocks aren't even going up or down when I bounce on the front end. Is there anything else that would cause this? Seems like all the units running the HL arms have the shocks angled forward like this.

View attachment 75917 View attachment 75918 View attachment 75919 View attachment 75920 View attachment 75921
Your upper ball joint should be close to inline straight down to the lower ball joint. Typical the upper is just a little further back.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
The front tube should be angled back. The back tube should be perpendicular to the pivot tube.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!