P1000 Need help: when changing oil, I filled new oil using the "Check only, no fill" hole

M

matt33

Jun 4, 2016
NE PA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
When changing my Pioneer 1000 oil tonight, I accidentally filled new oil using the incorrect hole. I used the dip-stick port labeled "Oil level, check only, no fill" instead of the proper oil fill hole.

What should I do? My instincts tell me I might be okay, but should I drain the new oil and refill using the proper fill hole? I'm reluctant to run my machine until I can confirm what (if any) action I should take. Can someone knowledgeable please chime in. Thanks in advance!

Here's a pic of the hole I used to fill the engine with new oil (borrowed from oil change guide which I should have reviewed more carefully):
Oil level dipstick access jpg10703

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
When changing my Pioneer 1000 oil tonight, I accidentally filled new oil using the incorrect hole. I used the dip-stick port labeled "Oil level, check only, no fill" instead of the proper oil fill hole.

What should I do? My instincts tell me I might be okay, but should I drain the new oil and refill using the proper fill hole? I'm reluctant to run my machine until I can confirm what (if any) action I should take. Can someone knowledgeable please chime in. Thanks in advance!

Here's a pic of the hole I used to fill the engine with new oil (borrowed from oil change guide which I should have reviewed more carefully):
View attachment 46515

Do not worry about it, it will be fine the oil goes down to the same place the only difference I could see when I had my engine apart was the proper oil fill hole had a wire screen the oil had to run though so if you happened to drop any foreign materials in while filling it would catch it.

J

JTW

Do not worry about it, it will be fine the oil goes down to the same place the only difference I could see when I had my engine apart was the proper oil fill hole had a wire screen the oil had to run though so if you happened to drop any foreign materials in while filling it would catch it.
Good to know!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

View attachment 46515
It's ok as long as there is the right amount of oil in it and the correct oil.

M

matt33

Jun 4, 2016
NE PA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Update:
OP here. There no issues. The oil all ended up draining down to the same place as the other fill hole. Lesson learned. I changed all the fluids for this 700 mile service including the oil/DCT with filters, sub-transmission, and both front and rear diff's. I used Honda GN4 oil in the engine and sub trans, I used synthetic Amsoil 75w-140 that I had on hand for the diff's. I also cleaned the spark arrester while I was at it (it was very clean though).

I generally use Mobil 1 or Shell Rotella full synthetic or in all other vehicles I own, but I'm reluctant to use anything other than Honda GN4 oil in the Pioneer 1000 due to clutch issues some people have experienced. I personally haven't had any clutch problems.

Has anyone here used full synthetic Honda branded oil? I was thinking about trying Honda HP4S 10w-30 next time.

Pro Honda HP4S Full Synthetic 4-Stroke Motor Oil | ATV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Reactions: pct
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Update:
OP here. There no issues. The oil all ended up draining down to the same place as the other fill hole. Lesson learned. I changed all the fluids for this 700 mile service including the oil/DCT with filters, sub-transmission, and both front and rear diff's. I used Honda GN4 oil in the engine and sub trans, I used synthetic Amsoil 75w-140 that I had on hand for the diff's. I also cleaned the spark arrester while I was at it (it was very clean though).

I generally use Mobil 1 or Shell Rotella full synthetic or in all other vehicles I own, but I'm reluctant to use anything other than Honda GN4 oil in the Pioneer 1000 due to clutch issues some people have experienced. I personally haven't had any clutch problems.

Has anyone here used full synthetic Honda branded oil? I was thinking about trying Honda HP4S 10w-30 next time.

Pro Honda HP4S Full Synthetic 4-Stroke Motor Oil | ATV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

HP4S is all I have used exclusively. No issues and over 1500 miles of hard trail use.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
When I ask nubie questions i get responses like "check your your muffler bearing". :oops:

What oil polarity - wont that be all messed up if it went in the wrong hole?

Remember.....................

"The difference between an expert and an amateur is that the expert knows how to fix his mistakes!!!!!!!!!!"

Z

zin01

May 2, 2017
Royse City
Wow crazy I filled the oil using that hole to. I didn't even see the label. I guess I should check where the actual fill hole is. Also this all sounds dirty to me lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MNnice and JTW
J

JTW

Wow crazy I filled the oil using that hole to. I didn't even see the label. I guess I should check where the actual fill hole is. Also this all sounds dirty to me lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lube does that..

Reactions: SILVER_ALERT
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So I made a pretty noob mistake today filled using the sub transmission under the seat. Wasn't even paying attention and didn't catch it until I realized it wasn't taking more oil. My question is... what now? I know they are all connected. But right now my engine oil is low and sub trans is high.

W

wyodlr

Aug 15, 2016
Cody Wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I made a pretty noob mistake today filled using the sub transmission under the seat. Wasn't even paying attention and didn't catch it until I realized it wasn't taking more oil. My question is... what now? I know they are all connected. But right now my engine oil is low and sub trans is high.
the sub tran and engine oil chambers are not connected in any way

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015

Yeah I have had that case apart 5 or six times, the engine fill hole and oil check hole will all end up in the same place.

The sub trans does not. But yeah drain some of the sub as suggested

Last edited by a moderator:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Yeah I have had that case apart 5 or six times, the engine fill hole and oil check hole will all end up in the same place.

The sub trans does not. But yeah drain some of the sub as suggested
Edited ur post as it was confusing to a new reader.
Just trying to clarify sub transmission fluid versus engine oil / dct fluid.
Thanks.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kilo427

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!