BOX1

P1000 Need help: when changing oil, I filled new oil using the "Check only, no fill" hole

Q

QuietStroller

Nov 26, 2022
Home
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do not worry about it, it will be fine the oil goes down to the same place the only difference I could see when I had my engine apart was the proper oil fill hole had a wire screen the oil had to run though so if you happened to drop any foreign materials in while filling it would catch it.
I also did the same thing except after I've got everything all finished up and the dipstick level low enough to put the dipstick back in. I've now warmed it up twice and I can't get the oil to drop any lower. What am I doing wrong?

Reactions: Smitty335
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I also did the same thing except after I've got everything all finished up and the dipstick level low enough to put the dipstick back in. I've now warmed it up twice and I can't get the oil to drop any lower. What am I doing wrong?
1 - How long have you let it set? 10 minutes should be fine. I assume longer by now.
2 - when you drained the oil. Which drain plugs did you drain? There are 3 total, depending on what your goal was.
---- Most forward is sub-transmission.
---- Middle is the engine.
---- Most Rear is the oil tank.

Q

QuietStroller

Nov 26, 2022
Home
Ownership

1. 1000-5
1 - How long have you let it set? 10 minutes should be fine. I assume longer by now.
2 - when you drained the oil. Which drain plugs did you drain? There are 3 total, depending on what your goal was.

• Haha
Reactions: Remington
Q

QuietStroller

Nov 26, 2022
Home
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is one of them not the same size plug as the other two? I did remove two that were a 12 mm....

Q

QuietStroller

Nov 26, 2022
Home
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is that the same hole where the dipsticks at? I didn't see another plug to check levels...

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is that the same hole where the dipsticks at? I didn't see another plug to check levels...
Sub transmission dip stick is under the front seat.
The engine dipstick is under the bed. (left rear passenger foot area)

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Adding to this - if you didn't drain both the engine and oil tank, and you still added 6.1 qts. - you're over full.

Also, if you didn't change the filters and didn't drain the oil behind them, you're over full by about 3 cups.

This is a Talon skid but the locations are the same -
I D3ddQQF X2

Reactions: Hondasxs
Q

QuietStroller

Nov 26, 2022
Home
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Under the front seat you're talking about, correct
Adding to this - if you didn't drain both the engine and oil tank, and you still added 6.1 qts. - you're over full.

Also, if you didn't change the filters and didn't drain the oil behind them, you're over full by about 3 cups.

This is a Talon skid but the locations are the same -
View attachment 410004
Okay yes I only drained the engine. I did not drain the sub transmission. It is a different size. And I did remove the filters and change them. All said and done, both tanks dumped and both filters changed. Should it be a total of eight?

And thank you. By the way for all this response here I have a brand new machine and I can't believe an oil changes to feeding me. I feel really stupid

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Under the front seat you're talking about, correct

Okay yes I only drained the engine. I did not drain the sub transmission. It is a different size. And I did remove the filters and change them. All said and done, both tanks dumped and both filters changed. Should it be a total of eight?
Eight what? Oil change capacity is 6.1 qts. when including a filter change.
And thank you. By the way for all this response here I have a brand new machine and I can't believe an oil changes to feeding me. I feel really stupid
None of us were born knowing this. :cool:

Q

QuietStroller

Nov 26, 2022
Home
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm a f***ing idiot!!!!!!!!!! Idk why I thought it was 6 oil and 2 more was for trans...... So it sounds like I have a quart and a half too much. So I need to see if I can pull the plug and drain some out without leaving too much I suppose.... I'll go get a brand new drain pan tomorrow and catch what I drain out and try to reuse

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm a f***ing idiot!!!!!!!!!! Idk why I thought it was 6 oil and 2 more was for trans...... So it sounds like I have a quart and a half too much. So I need to see if I can pull the plug and drain some out without leaving too much I suppose.... I'll go get a brand new drain pan tomorrow and catch what I drain out and try to reuse
Find some kind of skinny tube/pipe and siphon some out. Like the tubing they use for windshield washer fluid. Stick it down in and blow compressed air across the tip it until it starts to draw.

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I'll go get a brand new drain pan tomorrow and catch what I drain out and try to reuse
I would advise against that.
Too much contamination already with everything your doing. Better off to start all over with new. It stinks but not worth the big problem down the road IMO.
Work smarter not harder;)

Q

QuietStroller

Nov 26, 2022
Home
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would advise against that.
Too much contamination already with everything your doing. Better off to start all over with new. It stinks but not worth the big problem down the road IMO.
Work smarter not harder;)
Thanx again man! That's is a page of some real team players! Sml. Feel dumb 8quarts of fluid 😂😂😂😂😂😂
Gonna syphon it.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
If it makes you feel better, I just changed my fluids and put 2.71 quarts in the sub transmission. Sometimes reading is hard

• Haha
Reactions: CID and Remington
Q

QuietStroller

Nov 26, 2022
Home
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If it makes you feel better, I just changed my fluids and put 2.71 quarts in the sub transmission. Sometimes reading is hard
Actually that does make me feel better. Ty 😁

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Image 26864 pump
Harbor Freight $7.49. I have one and it works well. "Multi use transfer pump"

Reactions: CID
Q

QuietStroller

Nov 26, 2022
Home
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanx again man! That's is a page of some real team players! Sml. Feel dumb 8quarts of fluid 😂😂😂😂😂😂
Gonna syphon it.
Okay, I'm even more of an idiot than I thought. I actually put that qt and half in the sub transmission dipstick hole.....

• Haha
Reactions: toddvdh and CID
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!