P1000 Need help with dual battery

Jimmyscoin

Jimmyscoin

Nov 27, 2016
Fairbanks, alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I am in my garage hooking up my true isolator and my auxiliary battery. What common ground did y'all use to ground it. Also, where did you tap in to the ignition power for the voltmeters? Thanks!

RyanOrange3

RyanOrange3

Oct 13, 2016
MN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
All grounds can be connected together.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Reactions: Windrock1000
RyanOrange3

RyanOrange3

Oct 13, 2016
MN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Go to, accessories and modifications page, the first sticky will explain ignition on power. It's under your fuses

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I am in my garage hooking up my true isolator and my auxiliary battery. What common ground did y'all use to ground it. Also, where did you tap in to the ignition power for the voltmeters? Thanks!
I drilled a ground into the chassis that is above where the battery is. I also use this to ground my ground block.

As for the voltmeters, you should have received a relay. If you look at the instructions that came with it, the positive side of them attach directly to each battery. They are activated by a ground supplied by the relay. I used one of the fused outputs from the Cooper Bussman PDM to activate that relay. Check out the diagram in my build. It's a little ways down the page.

Others might have other ideas to do this differently. This is just how I did it.

Edit...

The power for the meters comes from each side of the isolator.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used a ground block like this for all my accessory grounds.

2ca01ad9259c2d606aa24ad2d9c453ef

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Keep in mind, if you are going to effectively monitor each battery the power to the meters must come from each side of the isolator or directly from each battery, but I wouldn't do that. I'd stick with the instructions that came with the isolator.

Jimmyscoin

Jimmyscoin

Nov 27, 2016
Fairbanks, alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Image OK, this may be a dumb question but where does this orange block plug into the directions show it sitting by itself but do not show it plugged in anything

Reactions: dotman1
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The relay that came with the meters plugs into that wiring harness.

advertisement
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's the instructions that you should have. It's on the back of the instructions for the isolator.

44d77e5af815fa3b09822e9527cbe415

Reactions: sharp
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pweh!! I knew I wasn't mechanically inclined but I was like what the hell lol
I had a simple diagram drawn up but I can't find it. It's been a while since I did mine. The orange block is a relay red is power black is ground and you hook the gray wires from the meters to each of the green wires.

Reactions: AKRider
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The red is what I have connected to the Cooper Bussman fuse in my diagram. If you are going to use the relay with your setup, which I encourage you to do, look at my diagram under my build thread.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Jimmyscoin... Remember when I said take your time and draw it out? Lol. This stuff isn't hard, but it can be confusing. I have an electronics background and it still took me a while to figure out exactly what I wanted, how I wanted it, and how I was going to get it done... lol

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Jimmyscoin... Remember when I said take your time and draw it out? Lol. This stuff isn't hard, but it can be confusing. I have an electronics background and it still took me a while to figure out exactly what I wanted, how I wanted it, and how I was going to get it done... lol
Exactly! Don't over think it, take your time and just do what it says and you'll be fine.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Put that thing on a trailer, stop by the Class VI Store for a bottle of Glenlivet, and head on down. We'll get you wired

Jimmyscoin

Jimmyscoin

Nov 27, 2016
Fairbanks, alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Put that thing on a trailer, stop by the Class VI Store for a bottle of Glenlivet, and head on down. We'll get you wired
Lol!! All right, so I have it all wired up everything hooked up everything is where it supposed to be except when I turn the machine on the blue light comes on the isolator tell me that it's working but my voltmeter gauges do not light up. Everything is running to the same ground so I figure the ground is good because the isolator lights up but it must be a power issue

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lol!! All right, so I have it all wired up everything hooked up everything is where it supposed to be except when I turn the machine on the blue light comes on the isolator tell me that it's working but my voltmeter gauges do not light up. Everything is running to the same ground so I figure the ground is good because the isolator lights up but it must be a power issue
Did you use the relay?

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You need to ground the relay

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!