P500 Need priority advice - tires, wheels, shocks, skids

gmacaluso

gmacaluso

Sep 16, 2018
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Just about to have another birthday and my wife surprised me with an ok to get whatever (one) upgrade I've been talking about.

So I'm thinking in order:
  • Skids - full set UHMW with arm guards and rockers (I'm not a steep freak but the stuff I find has plenty of rocks)
  • Wheels - 5+2 offsets, 12" (no spacers)
  • Tires - BH 2.0 26X9X12, 26X11X12
  • Shocks - Whatever your experience suggests
  • Offer the stocks to the community for cost of shipping. (about 500 miles off new)
Different order? Different selection? Can I make a second purchase with a shrewd buy?

Sorry everyone ... here's a picture ... Stock plus, roof, winch, windshield, honda rear tray with things I've mounted to it. A RAM mount on the interior for Navigation. 350 miles on stock equipment

P500 Top of Yankee Boy 080819.jpg

Last edited:
monaco

monaco

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2016
Indiana
bit.ly
Ownership

1. 500
I'd go tires and wheels first. I also drive over a bunch of rocks and have had no problems with the stock skid (fingers crossed.) But those factory tires need replacing.

Reactions: Backwoods
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Not a 500 but my preferences -
1. Skid, once it's bent it stays bent.
2. If the stock air filter is pleated paper, some sort of oiled foam prefilter (NOT K&N) or you'll be replacing them regularly. If the stock filter is oiled foam this is less important since it's cleanable but still nice to have.
3. A spare tire if there's room, I'm usually solo.
4. I ran my stock tires for 1500 miles before ordering wheels and tires. Not having a spare pushed that up the priority list - I knew I was increasing tire size and didn't want to spend money on a stock spare.
5. I had hoped to be in Arizona last spring and would have had springs and shock valving done while there but Covid put a stop to that. Suspension makes a big difference in your comfort level and the machines safety but stock is usable, many riders never change theirs.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
A picture of your machine showing what you already have would help ( Roof, Windshield, Winch?)

If you already have a winch then definitely 26-27" tires will help, after tires I recommend UHMW skidplates.

If you want shocks the Walker Evan's remote resivior for P500 is the only game in town and would cost more than the skids and tires combined.

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
185686A7 D683 47F6 A8E3 0A4A1D4C32B8

H

Husker1

Oct 24, 2017
Nebraska
Ownership

1. 500
I used stock wheels and spacers with big horn 2.0. In a26 X9 on all 4 corners. Made the ride better but would still like walker evans shocks.i bought the uhm skids off the forum.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
So combining the skid and arm guards is a smart move.
I would never recommend lying to one’s spouse, but they are a set.

Also, tires and spacers would be a set.
For that matter, wheels and tires are probably a set and it would combine performance and looks.
Now that I think about it, the whole point of new tires is to improve performance so probably the shocks belong in this set.

wow, it’s looking like you hit the nail on the head, skid plate, arm guards, wheels , tires and shocks.

Haha, your order looks good.
If you ride in an area with few rocks you could do the tires first.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just about to have another birthday and my wife surprised me with an ok to get whatever (one) upgrade I've been talking about.

• Skids - full set UHMW with arm guards and rockers (I'm not a steep freak but the stuff I find has plenty of rocks)
  • Offer the stocks to the community for cost of shipping. (about 500 miles off new)
Different order? Different selection? Can I make a second purchase with a shrewd buy?
My first priority would be tires and wheels.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Shocks, your wife will love the improvement in ride and maybe she will see what an improvement that is and let you have another improvement before your next bday! HA!

monaco

monaco

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2016
Indiana
bit.ly
Ownership

1. 500
Somebody mentioned spacers, that's a mod that I wish I'd had done earlier. They really do a lot of good for side-slope stability

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Different order?

That's a good list! Putting it all in the cart and hitting submit would make it a BA machine but if having to pick an order I'd suggest the wheel and tire combo and just as you have it listed. Needs capability first and is the biggest bang for the buck IMO.
Second would be protection, at least A arm guards. First trip to RRB I rode the factory skid, bob sledded it to hell and ordered aftermarket as soon as I got home but it made it through it.
Now it's worthy for a set of WE, at least the fronts. PS fits into this category too.
After spending all that money you might as well complete the list with some bling, led's, whips and a thumpin' a** stereo! 😁

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, you got some thankin to do... ok, if you play this right it could work out well for you. I would do the skid and guards, if you happen to “mess up” a tire now you have to get a tire, but since it’s 4WD you have to get a tire that is the same size, or you will mess up the drive train, and since the “old” tires are wore down a new tire would be taller, so you need to get 2 tires, and if you get 2 tires for just a few bucks more you could get the other 2 tires and there ya go... the shocks on the other hand are a big ticket item, so you might want to score them first then shoot for the lower dollar upgrades.

gmacaluso

gmacaluso

Sep 16, 2018
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Well, you got some thankin to do... ok, if you play this right it could work out well for you. I would do the skid and guards, if you happen to “mess up” a tire now you have to get a tire, but since it’s 4WD you have to get a tire that is the same size, or you will mess up the drive train, and since the “old” tires are wore down a new tire would be taller, so you need to get 2 tires, and if you get 2 tires for just a few bucks more you could get the other 2 tires and there ya go... the shocks on the other hand are a big ticket item, so you might want to score them first then shoot for the lower dollar upgrades.
Like this thinking ... plus the earlier comment ... "once its bent, its bent". Skids then let the tires take the punishment till they "obviously need replacement". Thanks

gmacaluso

gmacaluso

Sep 16, 2018
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
That's a good list! Putting it all in the cart and hitting submit would make it a BA machine but if having to pick an order I'd suggest the wheel and tire combo and just as you have it listed. Needs capability first and is the biggest bang for the buck IMO.
Second would be protection, at least A arm guards. First trip to RRB I rode the factory skid, bob sledded it to hell and ordered aftermarket as soon as I got home but it made it through it.
Now it's worthy for a set of WE, at least the fronts. PS fits into this category too.
After spending all that money you might as well complete the list with some bling, led's, whips and a thumpin' a** stereo! 😁
Trig, maybe you could star in your own re-make of "Pimp My (SXS) Ride". ... Thumpin' stereo ... you're killin' me. :)

Reactions: trigger and Mudwing
gmacaluso

gmacaluso

Sep 16, 2018
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Shocks, your wife will love the improvement in ride and maybe she will see what an improvement that is and let you have another improvement before your next bday! HA!
Yep ... she commented on the last trip out as we found the top of a couple of big clanks. Do you get any travel lift with Walker Evan's et al?

gmacaluso

gmacaluso

Sep 16, 2018
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
I used stock wheels and spacers with big horn 2.0. In a26 X9 on all 4 corners. Made the ride better but would still like walker evans shocks.i bought the uhm skids off the forum.
Did you get the skids before or after the tires? GBR

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
As a former 500 owner I would recommend 27s and 5+2 offset wheels . Get it up higher will help alot , plus with a good tire more side wall will greatly improve the ride. Pretty wheels will make it look good. If your.gonna spend.thousands on it might as well trade it that's what I did. I miss my 500 sometimes.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!